Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deslock
    Darth Beratter

Originally posted by nd32479
    No. I have a very good up/down load though. I've not read or heard too much about downloads taking an unusual amount of time (except on the game/dlc release days).

Wish I could give you some suggestions on what to check, but I got nothing for you.

You did mention your laptop seems to download just fine. I would do a speed test on the laptop and compare to a test on the X1.
    It's my PC, we don't have a laptop. I know it's just my shitty ISP. The PSN was the same for me. Four days later, and I've finally downloaded Black Flag for the One.

sigpic

Comment

• Deslock
      Darth Beratter

Well, I bought Minecraft for the One for Daz and myself to play, and it instantly popped up saying it needs an update to play online. 654mb. And then it says "Charge time may be applicable."

Hmmm. No way in Hell am I going to be charged for a download time that'll probably take three damn days. And unlike Sony, you can't ignore the update and just play offline without the update.

*Sighs*.

Halo needed an update. AC needed an update. Minecraft needs an update. Hell, even my brand new headset right out of the box needed an update. I really wouldn't mind any of it all, if downloads just went faster for me. And I'm not out in the damn woods somewhere, I'm literally right in town, two streets away from my ISP, which by the way; IS THE DAMN PHONE COMPANY !.

But as I said, which is weird for me, is that it's only the consoles that I have that go so slow. I have to wonder if it has to do with the connections with the Games servers. Any downloads for my 'puter are lightning fast. But any console downloads just craaaaawl. But if I get online playing a game, I rarely experience any form of lag. It's really baffling to me. I just don't get it.
      What takes others only hours, takes days for me.

sigpic

Comment

• Taco_assassin
        Honorary DSA
        • Mar 2006
        • DSA TacO

Hey Des, I'm happy to see you on the Xbox side of things!!
        I know this might be a silly question but have you set up the ports on your router properly?
        This could help the info flow a little faster

Comment

• Deslock
          Darth Beratter

Originally posted by Taco_assassin
          Hey Des, I'm happy to see you on the Xbox side of things!!
          I know this might be a silly question but have you set up the ports on your router properly?
          This could help the info flow a little faster
          I thought I set it up properly, but I also thought about unplugging my 'puter port and putting the console cord there, as I might've messed something up somehow.

I had to reset the ports for Daz's tablet to work, and I might've done something wrong. I'll have to check it and see. Very good question.

sigpic

Comment

• Taco_assassin
            Honorary DSA
            • Mar 2006
            • DSA TacO

Des I grabbed a list of ports to open on your router straight from MS support website. You know...just incase.

Xbox Live requires the following ports to be open:

Port 88 (UDP)
            Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
            Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
            Port 80 (TCP)
            Port 500 (UDP)
            Port 3544 (UDP)
            Port 4500 (UDP)

Comment

• Deslock
              Darth Beratter

I'll have to check that out. This issue is just so weird. It just doesn't make sense.

I may have messed up the ports when I reset our router for Daz's tablet.

sigpic

Comment

• The_Blunt
                Officer
                • Jul 2007
                • DSA Blunt

Port Forwarding has to be the most annoying shit that comes with owning an Xbox. I wish we could just plug it in and have it work.

Just the other day my NAT slipped back to moderate because I didn't put the ethernet cable all the way back in after I was done cleaning the system.
                sigpic

Comment

• Deslock
                  Darth Beratter

Port Forwarding has to be the most annoying shit that comes with owning an Xbox. I wish we could just plug it in and have it work.
                  As this is our first XBox, I wasn't even aware of this being a problem, and I never seen anything about this on any of the gaming forums I frequent. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

sigpic

Comment

• norm
                    Imperial Guard
                    • Jun 2006
                    • DSA norm

Congrats on the XB1 Des. Hope you enjoy it

Download speeds for me are reasonable if not a little faster compared to the PS4.

Some things you will need to know about your ISP and router.

ISP

Could be blocking the ports
                    Could be throttling your connection

If your ISP has a built in router feature for your modem and you have your own modem connected to it you could be a victim of Double NAT. If so you need to ask your ISP to set their router into bridge mode.

You Router

If it's more than a couple of years old chances are you need to update the firmware. This is a somewhat tricky process so make sure you back of your config before you do this.

If you purchased a router in the past 3 to maybe 5 years chances are you have a POS router. Sometime around then router companies decided to offer two models. Really good with all the cool features or cheap and bare bones. We won't even get into the various brands or models that suck depending on which category your router falls into.

So look up your router and see how compatible it might be with gaming systems in general.

Back to the XB1. If it goes on sale pick up Sunset Overdrive. That's been a really fun game. Also make sure you use the Xbox Record that feature when you do something cool.

Have fun with the system!

Comment

• The_Blunt
                      Officer
                      • Jul 2007
                      • DSA Blunt

Originally posted by Deslock
                      As this is our first XBox, I wasn't even aware of this being a problem, and I never seen anything about this on any of the gaming forums I frequent. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
                      Hmm, that's interesting. I always thought port forwarding was a huge deal on both Xbox and Playstation. It's basically letting your router know that this device is okay to send and receive data. The Playstation method is similar to Xbox:

You need to open up the following ports in both directions TCP & UDP:
                      3478-3480
                      6000-7000
                      10070-10080

These are all ports that you need to open for Sony’s first party systems (such as voice chat, PSN, remote play etc.) and games, and should, once rebooting your console, allow you to have NAT Type 2, which is what you’re looking for.
                      Did you never have to do this for your PS3?

P.S.: I agree with norm. Sunset Overdrive is one of the most fun games I've ever played. If you can find it on sale, get it.
                      Last edited by The_Blunt; 12-16-2014, 10:42 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• nd32479
                        Imperial Advisor
                        • Aug 2009

I guess I've just been lucky. Besides my first PS3, I don't think I've had to do anything with my ports. I did not have to do anything to my PS3 slim. And with my X360 and X1, both have been plug and play.😄 I did go through set ups that the console walked me through so maybe it was done during that process. And I context via Ethernet as well if that matters.

Like I said, guess I've been lucky as I'd definitely mess something up if it had to mess with all my ports, etc.
                        ND

PS3 ID - x__ND__x

XBOX Gametag - DSA x ND x

...So live, that when thy summons comes to join
                        The innumerable caravan, which moves
                        To that mysterious realm, where each shall take
                        His chamber in the silent halls of death,
                        Thou go not, like the quarry-slave at night,
                        Scourged to his dungeon, but, sustained and soothed
                        By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave
                        Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch
                        About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.

William C. Bryant

sigpic

Comment

• dazwellia
                          Honorary DSA
                          • May 2013

Unplugging the computer and plugging in the cord for the x1 really sped up the download process. Thanks for the great tips, guys. Y'all rock! :)

Comment

• Deslock
                            Darth Beratter

So the other night Daz asked me what our new kitten was playing with, and I answered with my usual lazy ass reply: "I don't know".

She was just bopping something around the floor and playing with it. So I took it away from her, and noticed it was a 35mm jack, But I didn't think anything about it at the time, as I always have electronic crap around the house all the time.

But last night I noticed her chewing on something behind our new XBox, and to my abject horror quickly realized that she had chewed through the cable on my new $100.00 Turtle Beach surround sound professional Gamer XBox headset that Daz had just bought for us, and that was the jack that went to it.

I damned near killed her on the spot. I thank God I love animals, so I didn't hurt her.

I was furious beyond belief. But Daz checked with Wally world, and they said they'd replace it for us, when they got more in stock for no charge for us.

So our cats are now banned from our living room, and my studio with all my DSA toy projects.

sigpic

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎