• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • norm
    Imperial Guard
    • Jun 2006
    • DSA norm

University and gaming

I've seen a few posts in the shout box with some of you having problems.

I'm not sure what your university set up is, but having worked a bit for a university in the IT department here are some things I can offer and maybe it'll help and maybe it won't

Depending on your school's set up there's a couple of different things going on.

Set-up 1 - 3rd party ISP.

Set-up 2 - School's ISP

If your school contracts with a 3rd party for providing dorms with internet service you need to follow whatever instructions you get at the start of the semester. The university I worked at contracted with Time Warner to provide internet for all the student living.

Students had problems with trying to connect to the school's wireless instead of TW. Also with TW there were NATing issues.

If you school provides its own ISP there a very good chance you are being subjected to NAT, QOS and other rules within their service. There is also the chance your device is carrying a duplicate IP address as someone else.

Look into what set-up your school is going with. Make sure you're following whatever rules they have set in place for gaming systems. If that still fails look into setting your DNS to 8.8.8.8 (Googles DNS I think). Try connecting wireless and then wired or wired and then wireless. Try setting a static IP or try dynamic IP.

Majority of the time students weren't following the rules/guidelines the school had in place. After that it involved a little tweaking to make sure they were connecting to the TW device and not the school's AP.

I hope that helps a little bit or gives you an idea on where to go.

Ad

Collapse
Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎