• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • norm
    Imperial Guard
    • Jun 2006
    • DSA norm

Router Recommendations

Just thinking back about some of the connection issues folks have had and with a lot of the new tech being released I thought I would create this thread to help some folks now and in the future.

A router is a device that moves information between computer networks. So you get the information from this website's server sent to your IP address assigned by your ISP which is where your router lives at. The router takes that information and sends it to the device that asked for it through an IP address that the router itself assigned. That's basically how it works.

Routers can handle either or both a wired (Ethernet cable) or wireless (radio signals) form of routing.

Wired is usually done with Ethernet cable. There is fiber, but we won't discuss that here. Ethernet is usually named with something like Cat 4 or Cat 5 or even Cat 5e. It's complicated and we really won't get into it here, but the Cat stands for Category and the Number is the version so the higher the number the newer the version. The little letter following the Number usually has to deal with an update to the version Currently Cat 5e is the standard and is getting replaced by Cat 6. So keep that in mind.

If you're building a new house or plan on rewiring your house try and do it with Ethernet cable. You can even use Ethernet for your phones. Only difference is you need a telephone cap and you use a couple less wires.

Wireless is what it says it is wireless. Currently Wireless is standardized at 802.11n (2012). Before that we had b/g as the standard. The older standard maxed out at about 54 Mbps. N will max out at 300 Mbps. So there is a big difference in speed there. The newest standard come up is ac which you are all ready seeing and it is 1000 Mbps.

When deciding any type of router you need to decide a few things first. What are my current needs? What are my near future needs (less than 5 years)? Once you've gotten that thought out you can think of things like physical problems; lead walls, can't run cable, who knows what else. Then you can think of fun things like price.

With your current needs it's always good to look at what devices you have and visit their manufacturer's site and see if they have any compatibility lists for routers.

Future needs are a little tougher because this is technology and it changes quickly. So if you know you might purchase a new laptop in a year and you see ac used by Dell or HP for some of their laptops now you know a year from now you might see more laptops with ac wireless so maybe a router with ac is a better choice for you.

Physical is tough and easy at the same time. Ethernet cable is really cheap. If you can't drill and run cable through your walls you may be able to run it through your air ducts. You can also run it along your wall at the edge of the carpet and it'll be just about invisible. Now if you live in a multi-floor structure and you get a weak wireless signal there's easy fixes for that too. You can get a wireless repeater or even turn your electrical outlet into an access point.

Now we've gone over the basics and I hope that has helped some. Routers like any product will change over time with who makes a better product. Before Linksys was great with routers. I had one and loved it. Right now they aren't the best in my opinion. D-link has always made a decent router; sometimes the best and sometimes not, but usually always in the running. Netgear and Trendnet are usually hit and miss. With their misses being bad, really bad. Currently I will say Asus has the best router on the market now with the AC66U.

I have the Asus N66U which is a great router. The software that Asus uses is fairly powerful yet really simple for anyone to use. It manages two cell phones, a tablet, laptop, PC, 360 and PS3. I've had no problems with it at all.

So for now I would recommend the Asus router. Like I said things will change so do your research.

Some things that are pretty cool with today's routers. Before routers were pretty bare boned with what they could do. It was just your basic routing and that's about it. There was software like DD-WRT and Tomato that you installed on your router to give it a few new features and give you a lot more control over your router.

Now-a-days the software is usually more advanced with some companies giving the consumer more features and more control and others not. Some of those features include the ability to plug in something other than a PC to your router. Like a printer for instance. You can buy a printer, plug it into a router and make it a wireless printer. Some you can plug in a hard drive. This will give you network storage that you can access from you home or even from outside.

So look at features like that when deciding and see what sort of things extra it can do.

The last thing is price. I say this is last because if price is your first thing none of what I said above will really mean that much to you. With a router you do get what you pay for. The newest tech and more features will always be the higher priced router. Also I believe quality has something to do with it. I'm not saying best quality equals highest price, but generally cheap routers suck. You have to look at it like this, $200 for a router that lasts 5 years will cost you $40 a year. So is that $40 a year worth a stable network and less/no headaches or not?

So good luck and I hope this helps some. If you are happy with your router great! If not and you are in the market to buy feel free to ask what we think.
    Last edited by norm; 09-17-2013, 09:16 AM.
  • hecx2370
    Civilian
    • May 2012

Great post. To add, One thing with today's routers is the processor and all the other services performed. Today's router is really a combination of a few things,a router, switch, firewall, web filter service, and access point(Wi-Fi). When you combine all of these things together in one package you must have a processor that will keep up. This is where most problems come in. I've had a few routers that work, well ok, but start a VPN session and that was all she wrote. I haven't encounter this lately but manufacturers really don't state this information.

Wiring: CAT6 is great, but can get expensive. If not terminated correctly you can have communications issue. I've seen good electricians mess up a cable run and some that really knew what they were doing. Here you want to do your research and keep wire's twist all the way to where you punch it down. Untwisting too much on a (1) Gig network can create all sorts of havok. It's important you have CAT6 hardware all the way through, from the source to your switch or router. This includes any wall ports, in wall cabling, patch panels and patch cords. It's also very important not to stress the cabling with extreme bends.

I personally unbundle my home router's services. I turn off anything that is not needed. I have a separate switch and wireless controller. I know most don't do this, but if you can I highly suggest it. I currently have an ActionTec (1) Gig router and I have to say I have no complaints ... knock on wood.

One more thing, If you are looking for anything with power over Ethernet remember that you won't get Gig connectivity since you'll use some of the pairs for current.

Comment

• Muncher
      Lieutenant

I'm looking at picking up a new router. Is there any new ones from Asus that would support a couple people streaming video while I game? I have been looking at the Asus RTAC3100. Also, are there modems I can pair with that or is that simply up to my Internet provider?
      We are all gonna have to live in da woods some day, cause the government is gonna take our guns away.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• RaTix
        Emperor

I actually just picked up an ASUS Router myself. The RT-AC66R.

AC3100 - AC66R

My Linksys RV082 started going and I had to replace it quick, so was limited on my budget. I remember looking at AC3100 though, it's got a badass design to it. This is my first ASUS Router, and no complaints thus far. Seems pretty solid and straight forward in the admin panel. Streaming is pretty solid too.
        If you do get the AC3100, let me know if it has mounting holes on the bottom.

As far as modems, you should just be able to connect it to the internet port on the router, and off you go. If it's a modem router, you might need to look into disabling the routing (DHCP) in the modem's admin panel.

What service do you have, and what kind of modem and setup do you have now?
        Last edited by RaTix; 01-13-2016, 05:58 PM.
        "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
        ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• Muncher
          Lieutenant

I have sucky charter. They are the worst. I feel like I handed my soul over, but they have a monopoly in the area. They gave me a Surfboard SB6121. My ideal situation would be to get fiber wire, but the only company that offers it at >50mb/sec speed requires you to buy a TV subscription. Here TDS, yes I would love to give you $300 a month for something I don't use.

The Asus 3100 looks like a prowling Panther very supernatural it's sweet. It also maxed out my mb/sec (not hard to do at only 60mb/sec) through Wifi while I had my xbox on hardlined. I do not see mounting threads though. It took me 15 min to set up, it was very user friendly.
          We are all gonna have to live in da woods some day, cause the government is gonna take our guns away.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎