Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deslock
    Darth Beratter

Game of Thrones.

So I see some people here are also "Throneheads" like myself, so I figured I'd make a thread.

Under normal situations, I absolutely HATE when Tv/Movies deviate from the source material and established canon, but in this case I really don't mind it. Because the changes from the books are actually given approval by the actual writer himself, and it's done to keep those whom have already read the books on their toes--that what they are expecting to see, might be done radically different, but not so much as to radically change the original story from the books. I.E. King's "The Shining" first movie, which King to this day despises, and why he did it over, and why Kevin Smith hates "Mallrats". The control of the storyline was taken away from them, whilst Martin supervises and has to approve everything regarding his work. The changes in Thrones are minor and subtle ones, but still strong enough to keep those that have already read the books in for new and suprising changes. Like what has been done in "The Walking Dead (Except for that awful streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetched out second season )

From this last episode I've seen posts by a very few that were all butthurt and bitching about it, and were going to stop watching, and even cancel their HBO subscriptions. To those people I'd like to say something:

"It's only a story."

If you get that upset that certain things happen, and certain people are killed, and you get that upset/angry about it, that should tell you one thing.:

George is doing something right and good in his craft. :)
    He did well, and he made you care about the people in his made up world, that he decided to share with us.

It's the suprises that make us care in well written stories, that truly makes them special. When a certain someone dropped down out of nowhere and killed Aerith in FF7, I was stunned, and brought a tear to my eyes.

Life is not kind, nor either should our stories be.

For me personally, GoT is what the SW prequels should've been.

Awesome.

Thank you Mr. Martin for sharing your world and vision with us.

But I still have to say:

Stormborn for the WIN !!!
    Last edited by Deslock; 06-03-2013, 11:37 PM.

sigpic
  • fitzgerald7
    Honorary DSA
    • Jul 2009

I have not read the books. I was pulling for the Starks tho man. I have to be on the dragon girls team now.
    sigpic
    :burnin: I HAVE AVENGED YOU:burnin:
    :burnin:CLAYMORE + FITZ= SCARY:burnin:

Comment

• Cottoinc
      Imperial Advisor
      • Dec 2009
      • DSA Cotto

I'm also not a big reader, I fall sleep reading the SW book I want to read.

My wife read the books so I have a cheat sheet to the show and have an idea on what to expect. But I dont think my wife even expected what happen the other night.
      "Thrawn: "Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake, Ensign?"
      Colclazure: "No, sir."
      Thrawn: "Anyone can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." [points at Pietersen, Rukh kills him] "Dispose of it. The error, Ensign, has now been corrected. You may begin training a replacement."
      ―Grand Admiral Thrawn, punishing a naval officer for failure

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
        Officer
        • Jun 2008
        • DSA Solo

Robb's Queen does not come to the wedding as they do not want to insult their host any further. So that was one difference. I did not expect is but I was not shocked by it. Personally, I was thinking, well about damn time someone gets fucking killed the way I wanted!! I like the change they made because of the reaction. In the book it is all from Caitlins POV and Robb is not a central character. But I like what they did I really do. Though you do miss thinking Aria is killed by the hound bc they made it pretty clear he just knocks her out in the show.

Also this whole scene is like 300-350 pages before the end. So my friends next week you will be vindicated. I promise ;)

Comment

• dazwellia
          Honorary DSA
          • May 2013

As much as I love to read, I have to admit I have not read the books off of which the show is based. In a way I'm glad, because I like going into a movie, book or TV show not knowing what to expect. I like being surprised. A lot of times, I don't even like to read the synopsis on the back of a movie or book.

I like to just let it take me where it's going, and I just sit back and enjoy the ride. The last episode of GOT shocked me. I spent the last several minutes of the show with my hand over my mouth, in a state of shock and outrage. Especially the scene where Robb's wife is stabbed in the belly. That was hard for me to watch, after having suffered a horrible miscarriage myself.

Also I liked Robb and Catlyin Stark. I hope Arya rises up and kicks some serious Lannister ass! I have begrudgingly began to like Tywin and Jamie. I have always liked Tyrion, so I hope nothing happens to him.

@ Solo, I have seen a spoiler about what happens *possibly next week not sure*. I won't say what it is, but I wish I hadn't seen it. As I stated before, I like to be surprised.

@ Fitz, I have been on Daenerys's *dragon girl* team all along. I have been rooting for her not only because she is a strong female character, but because she didn't come from a wealthy, priviledged family. She has had to fight every step of the way for what she wants, and she has grown from this meek little girl who lets people walk all over her to this tough, no bullshit queen. But she's also fair and kind. Plus, she's gorgeous, and I'd go a little gay for her. Hee hee.

I love the show and I will watch it to the end, whatever that may be.

House Targaryen!
          Last edited by Deslock; 06-04-2013, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
            Officer
            • Jun 2008
            • DSA Solo

I was not a big fan of Martin writing Jamie chapters at first in book 3. But damn if he didn't make me understand him and like him more. Minus the whole incest thing ugh god it just..........it makes you feel dirty reading it. Jon and Tyrion are by far my favs in the books. But Martin refuses to kill my second most hated character, fucking Sansa

Comment

• dazwellia
              Honorary DSA
              • May 2013

@ Solo, why do you hate Sansa? I don't mind her character in the show. Is she a crappy character in the books?

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
                Officer
                • Jun 2008
                • DSA Solo

Arya has character. She is brash, ballsy, and smart. Not to mention pretty witty. She belongs in this world Martin has created. Sansa is just a fucking pretty pretty princess. She could have been awesome if she had pushed Joffery off that ledge in the first book but NOOOOOOOOO. She is boring as all hell. Kill her off then its one less character I could give two shits about. Same for Davros.
                Last edited by Deslock; 04-14-2014, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• Deslock
                  Darth Beratter

I liked the Starks, but they were naive and stupid. So they paid the price for that bad decision making. I loved these two posts on the Escapist:

Ned Stark was morally abhorrent and just plain stupid if you ask me, he pretty much got what was coming to him. He lead the realm into a giant multi-way war, killing god knows how many thousands (most of which probably don't even give a damn about the iron throne), all in the name of his own precious honor. He sabotaged any chance of peace Westeros could have had by supporting the weakest claimant, and then went and sabotaged himself by literally walking up to his main enemy and telling her his plans.

Robb on the other hand was just dumb. He knew he needed an alliance with the Freys at any cost, and he also knew Walder Frey would side with whoever game him the better deal. His plan? Betray Frey at the first possible opportunity and then walk into his home unarmed.

I'd have been disappointed if they hadn't died, frankly. It would have flown in the face of everything ASOIAF is about. Being good doesn't get you killed. Being evil doesn't get you killed. Being stupid on the other hand, certainly will.
                  The Starks as a House have also wronged many of their bannermen through their strong sense of duty and nobility. It is a given that death is always a possibility when the banners are called, but the amount of people who have died because the Starks chose to take up arms, before, during AND after Ned Stark is staggering. As the saying goes, "The North Remembers." Ned was a hardworking and dutiful liege lord, but he wasn't all too smart, and his poor decisions cost many others before they cost him.

Robb had a duty to win the war as quickly as possible. His marriage to Talisa made a lot of his efforts before and after that union for naught. In the books, it was for honor; in the show, it was for love. Either way, his initial pact with the Freys could have turned the tide. If he had not beheaded Rickard Karstark, he would have had a leg to stand on. As King of the North, he had a duty to his people to bring victory as swiftly as possible, and he did not. That is a huge moral wrongness. His age, or his whims do not lessen that; he took the responsibility on, and so was obligated to see it through.

Catelyn sent his greatest trump card back to the enemy for her daughters, and did no one any favors in the process.

The Freys have been slighted one too many times, and they'd finally had it. We will also soon learn of the grievances of the Boltons, and that they, too have had a turbulent history with the Starks throughout the generations. None of this happened out of the blue. If it had, THAT would be shock value.

Many people have had to pay for the Stark family's decisions, and many innocent Starks have had to pay for the mistakes of some of their family members in response. It's karma. Just because their decisions weren't deliberate like other Houses does not make them morally sound. The Red Wedding was basically "a long time coming" of grievances against the Starks. Pretty much the only Stark concerned with the bigger picture who's even in a decent position right now is Jon Snow, who is the only decision-maker in that family who counts as being morally in the right despite getting pissed on all the time, and he will continue to get pissed on in the future, whether because he sees the truth that others don't, or just because people can't get past the name Snow.

sigpic

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
                    Officer
                    • Jun 2008
                    • DSA Solo

Ned could have just walked up to Robert and been like "hey you dumb fuck, that kid ain't yours !" But then we wouldn't have any books now would we?? haha
                    Last edited by Deslock; 04-14-2014, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• Deslock
                      Darth Beratter

From Yahoo:

Game of Thrones author George R. R. Martin, whose books are the basis for the HBO fantasy series, defended the controversial Red Wedding episode, "The Rains of Castamere," in a guest appearance on Conan O'Brien's talk show Wednesday.

"As a reader or as a viewer of television and film, I always like unexpected things and I always like the suspense to be real," he explained. "I want my readers and I want my viewers to be afraid when my characters are in danger. I want them to be afraid to turn the next page because the next character may not survive it."

The blood-soaked Red Wedding episode aired Sunday, angering many fans who were caught off guard by the gory murders of major characters. (Some took to Twitter to direct insults at Martin.)

The scribe is unapologetic about his decisions, but does admit to feeling guilty over the fates of the series' actors.

"It's one thing to kill these characters when they're just people on paper, but when you actually meet the actors who portray them and you know you're making people unemployed, it does bring up a certain amount of guilt feelings."
                      I love this show and Martin because they both keep you on your toes and it's full of believable suspense. Those that have already read the books beforehand can't just sit back and say "I know what's coming next", because they can in a way, but also not. ;)

I know a lot of fans are truly worried about Martin's age and health, basically that he really might die before finishing this magnificient story, and if he were, the only person I would see worthy of finishing it would be Joss Whedon, simply because they're both proven excellent story tellers, and both have the ability to throw a monkey wrench into the works, once you think you have the story figured out, And take it into an entirely different direction.

If he kills of Dany I won't stop watching, but it will piss me off to no end.
                      Which is exactly what Martin wants to do.

Last edited by Deslock; 06-08-2013, 01:03 AM.

sigpic

Comment

• Deslock
                        Darth Beratter

Has anyone here besides myself played the game for this ?.

I do have to say the combat system IS weird. It's not bad, as it makes you really be tactical; but I do wish it was more easy to use. Having to queue up every attack style is strange, and more like the old style Final Fantasy.

I have to pretty much agree with everything on this review. I am a huge fan of the series, but the game is just so weird. Everything is so damn expensive, and you only get chump change in this game. which sucks, as the reviewer said, because you cannot grind. At all.

This game could've and should've been much much better than it is. The only reason to play it it is the story. Having the attack queue is good, if you have a party of multiple players ala Final Fantasy. But with it just being one main person fighting multiple enemies; you can get you ass handed to you quite handily.
                        It makes fighting a chore that you have to watch intensely, which to me takes away any "fun" factor.

Here, take a look, and you'll see what I mean:

The story IS amazing. But it's just so much work to get through it.....

Last edited by Deslock; 08-22-2013, 12:30 PM.

sigpic

Comment

• Deslock
                          Darth Beratter

Well, the new season is out, and from what I understand, there'a also and new and better GoT video game coming out.

I have to say, I LOVE the Hound and Arya. I took the "Which GoT character are you ?"online quiz, and I wasn't really surprised that I got Arya.

"WtF is a Lommie ??"
                          "F'k the King."

Heh !
                          Ya gotta love the Hound.
                          No real form of spoilers
                          Not safe for work though:

Peckerhead disabled embedding, just click on the "Watch on Youtube" button. Grrrr.

Last edited by Deslock; 04-08-2014, 11:39 PM.

sigpic

Comment

• nd32479
                            Imperial Advisor
                            • Aug 2009

I have not read the books because I am so caught up into the TV characters. Reading the books will ruin how I watch the TV series. I can read books before or after with no problem. But I can't do it in between.

But I SOOOO want to find out what happens with Ayra! She is turning into a real badass. Killed two people and not even 13 yet! I just know she is going to get some real revenge for her family! And it will be EPIC!
                            ND

PS3 ID - x__ND__x

XBOX Gametag - DSA x ND x

...So live, that when thy summons comes to join
                            The innumerable caravan, which moves
                            To that mysterious realm, where each shall take
                            His chamber in the silent halls of death,
                            Thou go not, like the quarry-slave at night,
                            Scourged to his dungeon, but, sustained and soothed
                            By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave
                            Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch
                            About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.

William C. Bryant

sigpic

Comment

• Deslock
                              Darth Beratter

It makes it hard kinda knowing what's coming, and I hate people that do spoilers.

But I will tell you this.

Sansa, Arya, Dany, Stannis, Ygritte, Ser Davros, Jon Snow, and the red woman are far from done. And even Tyrion will surprise you.

The best is yet to come. :D

And we get to come along for the ride. There are many more surprises along the way.

As you said ND, this story is truly epic.

sigpic

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎