Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deslock
    Darth Beratter

Anyone here in the SCA ?

You guys know I'm in the 501st. with my Tie Pilot and stormy armor, but before all of that, I used to wear real armor and fought like Hell itself in the SCA.

And since we have so many new members and so many guests viewing, I was wondering if anyone here has been or is; in the the SCA.

I've really been trying to get my life back on track, and actually want to have some damn fun again. I'm trying to get active again in both the 501st, and the SCA. Wearing plastic armor is fine and fun, but not as much fun as cracking your weapon against a foe's helm.

God I truly miss the fun of fighting, and of the feast. Huzzah !!! :D

Here's a vid to give you an idea. At :56, you'll see my King cracking some skulls, he's wearing the black and white tunic. Hail Meridies !!!!

Time to get the armor out of storage and start polishing it up again.
    Last edited by Deslock; 11-09-2013, 12:58 AM.

sigpic
  • nd32479
    Imperial Advisor
    • Aug 2009

Des,

I've never done it. But my oldest sister and her family is into it big time. Before I was married she really tried to get me to go. She swore I'd have fun and probably even get laid (almost went just for that). But I never did. I did multiple time periods but primarily medieval and civil war era. The entire family likes the Medievel; but her husband really prefers the Civil War period. Nowadays, he will go by himself (and friends)/ But once in awhile the kids will join him. She's told me stories about how the vets will spar with some the newcomers and most of the time everything is about 75% strength. But once in awhile she says the newcomers (especially the young ones) will get a little froggy and go a little too hard. So the old vet then turns it on and give em a good thumping. She's even said she's seen bones broken before. They pretty much stick to the Midwest as they live in Ames/Des Moines Iowa.
    Last edited by Deslock; 11-08-2013, 03:43 PM.
    ND

PS3 ID - x__ND__x

XBOX Gametag - DSA x ND x

...So live, that when thy summons comes to join
    The innumerable caravan, which moves
    To that mysterious realm, where each shall take
    His chamber in the silent halls of death,
    Thou go not, like the quarry-slave at night,
    Scourged to his dungeon, but, sustained and soothed
    By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave
    Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch
    About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.

William C. Bryant

sigpic

Comment

• RaTix
      Emperor

I've never seen or heard of this (unless you count the Renn Faire type stuff, but I'm guessing it's NOT the same), but after watching it, I would love to do this.

Question though, how do you know what a death blow is? If you get hit on the arm, do you have to stop using that arm? Hwo do you know what the flat of the sword hit is vs an edge blow? Does Armor type come into factor at all?
      "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
      ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• Deslock
        Darth Beratter

Question though, how do you know what a death blow is? If you get hit on the arm, do you have to stop using that arm? Hwo do you know what the flat of the sword hit is vs an edge blow? Does Armor type come into factor at all?
        You are completely correct. Death blows are any direct solid hit to the head or chest area. If you are hit on the arm or leg, you do stop using that limb.
        Calling out death blows are based on the honor system. Once you start fighting, you quickly learn the difference between a glancing blow, and a death hit. Plus no one wants the label of "Rhino hide" which means you are a dishonorable fighter that doesn't call shots. *See the very bottom video for this*

On our swords, the cutting edges are marked either with black or red tape.

Odd that you mentioned that RaTix, as I was introduced to the SCA at a Renn Faire at Nashville, and we were commenting just how F'kn cool this all was, and some SCA people there asked us if we might be interested in doing this all the time. We said "sure", and our wonderful journey began.

Dude, the SCA is HUGE, and very deep and layered. There are fighting guilds, brewing guilds, embroidery guilds, dancing, music, just about anything you could ever dream of. Contrary to that first video, it's NOT all about fighting. Sure fighting is indeed fun, but there are men and women both that have been in the SCA, and never fought even once. They concentrate more on the arts and sciences.

And what's great, is that you don't have to be an "official" member to play. A local group in your area, either a Barony or a Shire, will have a person called a "Chattelaine" (My ex wife was one) and that persons job is to help supply you with what you need. Loaner garb (clothes) eating utensils, Hell, even loaner armor. All you have to do is contact them, and tell them you want to play.

The atmosphere of honor, the dancing, fighting, feasts; it's all SO MUCH DAMN FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

If you suck at sewing, or don't have the time to make your own armor, you can just up and buy it. SCA people are wonderfully helpful, and I've never felt more welcomed anywhere except the 501st. You can buy your stuff bit by bit, or they can help you make it. It's all so much fun.
        I can remember the pride I felt at finishing my own steel gauntletts that I made from scratch, and the honor I felt when my new SCA friends suprised me, and presented me with a Helm, that they had built and made, just for me. I swear to God I damn near cried, it was so wonderful. And yes, I did tear up.

On their own time, they spent the money to buy the steel, cut it out, and beat it out over an anvil, rivet it all up by hand; and suprised me with my very own custom made "teutonic" crusades era steel helm made just for my Christian Crusader persona.
        Just writing about it makes me tear up again. They could've just went out and bought one, but they wanted me to have something special, something personal, just for me.

One of my SCA friends met his wife at an event. This is quite common, as both all the men and women there like the same things, there is an instant bond there to begin with. The women of the SCA are really F'kn cool and sweet. And best of all, they are honorable.

If you are interested in this I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH just how much fun this is.
        The feelin of sitting alll around a big campfire at night, with all the fighters, knights, their ladies, the music, the dancing girls, with a belly full of mead and great food...There's a magic in that, that you cannot find anywhere else.

Just go to www.sca.org , click on "find a group near you" the info should come up with their local website, and contact them or their Chattelaine".

You will not be sorry you did so. Your magical journey will now begin, to the past. And It's all just sooo damn amazing.....
        Last edited by Deslock; 11-09-2013, 01:09 AM.

sigpic

Comment

• Deslock
          Darth Beratter

Des,

I've never done it. But my oldest sister and her family is into it big time. Before I was married she really tried to get me to go. She swore I'd have fun and probably even get laid (almost went just for that). But I never did. I did multiple time periods but primarily medieval and civil war era. The entire family likes the Medievel; but her husband really prefers the Civil War period. Nowadays, he will go by himself (and friends)/ But once in awhile the kids will join him. She's told me stories about how the vets will spar with some the newcomers and most of the time everything is about 75% strength. But once in awhile she says the newcomers (especially the young ones) will get a little froggy and go a little too hard. So the old vet then turns it on and give em a good thumping. She's even said she's seen bones broken before. They pretty much stick to the Midwest as they live in Ames/Des Moines Iowa.
          If you get another chance to go to an event with, please do so if you can. Dude, it's just sooo much fun. When we went to our first event, it was like magic.. Like you just stepped into a time machine.

SCA people are so gracious, kind, and welcoming. They will provide you with literally everything you could need at no cost. Really.

And I would dare you to try and find at least one thing you wouldn't enjoy learning more about, or doing.

And the nightime partying and sitting around drinking is a total blast.

At Gulf Wars one year I looked down and in horror realised my money purse had fallen off somewhere. I was terrified, as it had well over $400.00 cash in it, all of our cash for the event. I figured, "Well, I'm so screwed now..Damn".

A few hours later someone was walking around hollering out my name. The people in my group point me out to him, and he comes up to me and presents me my money purse. He opened up my money, found my drivers license, and searched the entire huge ass encampment (literally hundreds of camps and thousands of people) just to find me, so he could be sure we got all of our money back safe and sound.

That's the SCA.

And just how special the people in it are.

Last edited by Deslock; 11-08-2013, 04:22 PM.

sigpic

Comment

• Deslock
            Darth Beratter

*fourth post updated* ^

sigpic

Comment

• Deslock
              Darth Beratter

This will give you a slight glimpse of how big, and how awesome this organisation is, and how deep:

What's great about it is that you can choose just how active you want to be. It can be a wonderful way to get away from all the crap in everyday life, and just live simply for a while. Have fun, drink ale and mead, and fight like Hell if you want to.

sigpic

Comment

• Deslock
                Darth Beratter

Honestly, I was really suprised at just how kind everyone was, and was willing to share, because when you first start out; you have nothing of course.

"You need a shield, here, you can have this old one I used to use. No, you don't owe me anything. It's a gift."

"You need a sword, I'm sure I have some extra rattan here somewhere".

"Oh, you need some clothes ?. Here, have these..."

We were literally amazed at how giving and kind these people are, with both their belongings, and knowledge. Everyone loves to share with newcomers, and welcome them to the group with open arms. And I'm not kidding about that.

Almost all sections of the SCA have weekly fighter practices where you can learn the proper way to fight and practice, usually followed by a "Fighters feed", where everyone is invited to a local members house for a potluck dinner to feed everyone, and usually is followed by either movies or classes, or helping everyone work all together on fixing, or making their armor.
                Or just laughing, getting to better know each other, and just have fun together.

It seems complicated to begin, when you first look at it, but it's really not.
                People would not travel to all these events that we have, if they weren't fun. And indeed they are. :D

You will find yourself growing, and learning; in ways you would've never thought of. And if you're a fighter, winning your first battle is inspiring, and makes you hunger for more. You don't really know why, but it's there inside you. And you get to make a great new group of friends.

The memories I have, The friends I've made...... I wouldn't trade them for the world.

The SCA is just......

Magical. :D

sigpic

Comment

• nd32479
                  Imperial Advisor
                  • Aug 2009

Des,

You should talk to your local group and see what they would think of a bunch of DSA guys attending one just for fun. It could be a cool way for some of us to get together. The idea of hitting the shit out of a couple of you guys sounds fun! But will they allow video games at night? :)
                  ND

PS3 ID - x__ND__x

XBOX Gametag - DSA x ND x

...So live, that when thy summons comes to join
                  The innumerable caravan, which moves
                  To that mysterious realm, where each shall take
                  His chamber in the silent halls of death,
                  Thou go not, like the quarry-slave at night,
                  Scourged to his dungeon, but, sustained and soothed
                  By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave
                  Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch
                  About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.

William C. Bryant

sigpic

Comment

• Deslock
                    Darth Beratter

Be pretty hard to do from here, as the only other DSA member close to us is Fitz, and he's on the far west TN. border in Memphis. And there's a lot of SCA groups here in TN. Well, this is true in just about most of our states.

The SCA is really big and pretty spread out as an organization.

Just click here:

Or here:

The SCA’s “Known World” is divided into twenty regions called kingdoms, and within the kingdoms there are hundreds of local SCA groups – Cantons, Shires, and Baronies. To find the local group nearest you, either use the Kingdom Lookup Tool, or check the list below for zipcode lookups and kingdom listings of local groups Your […]

That should hook you up to your nearest Canton, shire, barony, or Kingdom.

sigpic

Comment

• Deslock
                      Darth Beratter

The idea of hitting the shit out of a couple of you guys sounds fun! But will they allow video games at night?
                      ND, the SCA is like the 501st., only on steroids. But we all basically like the same things. Sci-fi and Fantasy being the strongest. If you really want to see our geek cred, check out on the second video at 6:14, and spot the logo on that ladies' favor, I'm quite sure it will be most familiar to everyone here.

I remember when I was really active, and we had our weekly fighters practice at Centennial park in Nashville, and after a really good few bouts, we'd stop and catch our breath, and watch the LARP'ers attacking each other with pool noodles, and throwing tennis balls at each other, and we'd all just have a quiet chuckle watching them "battle" ( ) with garbage can lids as shields.

They (Larpers) hit with pool noodles, we hit with wood. We have to wear proper armor and protection for a legitimate reason. Like when ND posted what his sister told him. What the SCA does is considered a full contact "Martial Art" if you decide to become a heavy weapons fighter. But do it, it's awesome. But if you don't want to, you don't have to. It's all based on what you like, and want to learn about.

If you don't want to fight, you don't have to.

And I did love my chain mail "waffle bruises", and I wore them with pride.
                      But watch out for those ass shots, as they do indeed sting. I made myself protective "butt armor" just for that reason. Yeah, we have to wear cups, but watch out for that Knight or fighter that can do an effective "figure 8 fakie", and nail you right across both ass cheeks. Yep. That's gonna leave a mark.

But I would be an outright liar if I said this wasn't the most fun I'd ever had in regards to fighting. :D

Yeah, a few bumps and dings are had. But, it's just fun. And in the end, like the DSA, after it's all over; we're still all friends. That bruise is a symbol of honor, and will be gone in a few days. If you're a man, it's certainly nothing to be scared of.

It just shows that you're learning how to fight. Really fight.

And nowadays, that's a rare thing.

It's certainly nothing to be afraid of.

SCA fighting is decent, honorable, and totally based on Chivarly.

SCA fighting is no more dangerous, than attending a martial arts practice, which is also based on the same principles, that you would let your child attend. It's safe and sound.

and a lot of fun.

But yes, you could play vidya games.

sigpic

Comment

• Deslock
                        Darth Beratter

How I wish to fight again.

The armor. The sweat. And the wonderful rush into battle.

And the smell of steel.

The clash of swords.

To know like the DSA, that we fight for a reason.

God, how I miss it.

sigpic

Comment

• JDEZ09
                          Honorary DSA
                          • Jul 2009

I think mishras bf does this (Red Like Roses/Quinn).

- DSAJDEZ09
                          Ratix's Elite Imperial Guard
                          sigpic

"A wise man sees failure as progress a fool divorces his knowledge and misses the logic, and loses his soul in the process, Obsessed with nonsense with a caricature that has no content." - Canibus

Comment

• KuroiStar
                            Stormtrooper

Harry does! It's a ton of fin and I'm pretty good at it too lol

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎