Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy
    Honorary DSA

Attack of the Clones Review

They are finally here!!!!!!! The Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones Review by RedLetterMedia!!!! Oh what joy it is to finally see these released! This time its 90 minutes long!!! Part 8 and 9 are apparently still uploading so I will post them here when they become available!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBhi6qqFLA"]YouTube- (Part 1 of 9) Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones Review[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im7k4LUzA3Y&feature=channel"]YouTube- (Part 2 of 9) Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones Review[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux8pCqiiBLA&feature=channel"]YouTube- (Part 3 of 9) Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones Review[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGnorxUw4AA&feature=channel"]YouTube- (Part 4 of 9) Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones Review[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz1L63TdhC8&feature=channel"]YouTube- (Part 5 of 9) Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones Review[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-isAmaVbsM&feature=channel"]YouTube- (Part 6 of 9) Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones Review[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blkx6axytKQ&feature=channel"]YouTube- (Part 7 of 9) Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones Review[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QThD0r3hZg"]YouTube- (Part 8 of 9) Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones Review[/nomedia]

YouTube- (Part 9 of 9) Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones Review
    Last edited by Andy; 04-04-2010, 12:15 PM.

• Cottoinc
    Imperial Advisor
    • Dec 2009
    • DSA Cotto

This is why I do my best to stay away from all star wars before New Hope I just hope Bio Ware does a good job on The Old Republic MMO.
    "Thrawn: "Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake, Ensign?"
    Colclazure: "No, sir."
    Thrawn: "Anyone can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." [points at Pietersen, Rukh kills him] "Dispose of it. The error, Ensign, has now been corrected. You may begin training a replacement."
    ―Grand Admiral Thrawn, punishing a naval officer for failure

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
      Officer
      • Jun 2008
      • DSA Solo

I didn't think it was as good as the Menace review but I did enjoy the Star Wars kid in that one shot and the decoy of Palpatine being Joe Lieberman and all the shots of Lucas saying how things rhymed. HAHAHA. A friend of mine still put it best about the prequels in regards to Lucas: He has become more machine than man. The originals Lucas had all these ideas and wanted things he could not get at the time but his team of guys who later became ILM did things that had never been done and it amazed everyone. While Lucas could focus on the story and develop that. Now he has computers to make everything look so real but the actors can not really relate because they can't touch any of the shit. He used machines and dropped all the "realness". Plus I think he thought that us fan boys would just understand everything and didn't need to explain things and that kids wouldn't care if it was explained or not.

However, just to play devils advocate and start a little debate here. Many people asked Lucas why he directed these three but that Empire and Jedi were directed by others. He did say in the 70s that producing, writing, directing was just TOO much work for him so it let someone else direct it. Now with that said imagine IF he had let someone else direct the prequels. (I swear I want to see a short film done on this, so Keyser if you read this lets do it) Imagine if say Tarantino had directed one or maybe Michael Bay or Speilberg or Spike Lee (there would have been no white people then lol) or Ridley Scott or whoever you want to think of. Could they have made it better? Who knows. I kind of want to just imagine that these were really badly made fan films that don't REALLY exist and I will just stick with my originals. But I kinda liked Sith, kinda.

Comment

• captnjeter
        Honorary DSA

"So what if the Jedi sent one... two... three... or four... or five... or six or seven Jedi back to Naboo and so when Darth Maul opened the door and was all like "I'm a fucking bad ass" and saw seven Jedi waiting for him? "Um... how do I close the door. Oh, ok, there it goes!"

The first five parts were better than the last four, but I though it was well worth the wait.
        "You gotta have fun. Regardless of how you look at it, we're playing a game. It's a business, it's our job, but I don't think you can do well unless you're having fun." - Derek Jeter

Comment

• Andy
          Honorary DSA

I am surprised that Lucas didn't do that because then he would have had an excuse to pu more lightsabers in the movie! What's with all the fucking lightsabers!?!?!?

Comment

• keyser28146
            Honorary DSA

Dude. I thought it was great. Not as good as the Episode 1 review, but really good.

I thought the highlights were:
            -The point breakdown on Anakin winning over Padme.
            -The crucifixion of the idiotic kiddie Jedi room scene.
            -The comparison of how badly elements were stolen from Empire.

As far as other directors, the ones you mention there are shit directors who make high profile summer blockbusters with their best work far behind them and don't compare to either Kershner or Marquand. Neither Kershner nor Marquand made any blockbusters prior to those films, and neither one really has any really other huge films under their belt. Kirshner did direct "Never Say Never Again", and Marquand had Jagged Edge, but both of these films were AFTER they shot Star Wars movies.

More apropos comparisons for directors would be along some of the following lines:

Concerning Empire:
            Kershner: He was Lucas' film teacher. He had industry experience. He worked on primarily character driven movies. The script was darker, and since Lucas brought in Lawrence Kasdan as a writer, it needed someone who could work with actors as well, since the material being written would not be written by the director.

Someone who is an old hand, who has made a lot of smaller character driven films: Jim Jarmusch (Stranger than Paradise), Clint Eastwood (Play Misty For Me), David O. Russell (I Heart Huckabees), PT Anderson (Let There Be Blood), etc. Any of these people would CRUSH a Star Wars movie into movie about dramatic events happening to real people. Obviously, Jarmusch would be a really crazy choice since he is so stylized, but I'd LOVE to see that shit. That's what happened to Empire, and WHY Empire was so fucking good.

Marquand: A relative unknown. I largely feel like he was chosen to direct for a variety of reasons, not in the least: 1) To keep budget down and 2) someone who could be controlled by Lucas. Note the Ewoks. He definitely had experience as a director, but certainly was no "old hand" like Kirshner. It FEELS as if Lucas's fat ass marshmallow hands are on this movie in a tighter way than Empire... think about it... it's definitely the weakest of the 1st trilogy, and not really because of the script... it turns into a kids movie before it's half over and doesn't really recover.

Likely similar directors: McG, Louis Leterrier, and probably Tim Burton at this point.
            sigpic

Comment

• Deslock
              Darth Beratter

Lucas failed in the CGI concept. Yes, it looks good. But...

It also looks kinda fake to me. Always has.

sigpic

Comment

• captnjeter
                Honorary DSA

Has Phoenix seen this yet?
                "You gotta have fun. Regardless of how you look at it, we're playing a game. It's a business, it's our job, but I don't think you can do well unless you're having fun." - Derek Jeter

Comment

• keyser28146
                  Honorary DSA

CGI needs at least another 20 years before it looks good enough to attempt the kind of things people are trying to do with it. I do believe it will get there as far as appearance goes, but an "actor's director" who uses it as a tool will fare much better than a technical director who uses it as the center of the movie.
                  sigpic

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
                    Officer
                    • Jun 2008
                    • DSA Solo

I have thought this for a long time about the prequels and its a thought that really just pisses me off but I feel that this is what Lucas was doing with them. He didn't care about the story, he didn't care if it made sense nor what the fans would think because he knew he would get $ out of them no matter what, he also didn't care if the characters were flat or boring. All he wanted was the CGI because he used the films as a way to say " Hey look what ILM can do! Yea you like that hire us because we are the best.". He made the prequels as nothing more than a giant 2 and a half hour long commercial for ILM. I think he felt Cameron had out done him with Titanic and he like a fucking little child was thinking "anything you can do I can do better". Now look what Avatar has done(still haven't seen it so I don't know if its awesome or not). I bet Lucas is sitting there dreaming of what he can do next to out do Cameron. If the 4th Indian Jones is any sign of what's to come, well may whoever you believe in have mercy on you cause it will probably be the worst thing ever made.

Comment

• Cottoinc
                      Imperial Advisor
                      • Dec 2009
                      • DSA Cotto

CGI is the down fall of modern movies. The reason 4,5,6 had a great story line was because it had to. There was no flashy effects back then so the story was you selling point. But now a days movie makers are replacing CG for story and that is why there are so few good movies today.
                      "Thrawn: "Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake, Ensign?"
                      Colclazure: "No, sir."
                      Thrawn: "Anyone can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." [points at Pietersen, Rukh kills him] "Dispose of it. The error, Ensign, has now been corrected. You may begin training a replacement."
                      ―Grand Admiral Thrawn, punishing a naval officer for failure

Comment

• jmhc74
                        Honorary DSA
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by therealhansolo
                        If The 4th Indian Jones Is Any Sign Of What's To Come.......
                        Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        sigpic

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

• cmj75
                          • Oct 2008

its also how you integrate the CGI into other elements...compare these to LOTR films..they are visually stunning because of how they integrate CGI, scales, perspective with different camera angles, and real images....they consistently change throughout the film so it is very hard to determine what is CGI, scale or real...from a visual standpoint that is how you use CGI effectively

Comment

• captnjeter
                            Honorary DSA

Originally posted by Cottoinc
                            CGI is the down fall of modern movies. The reason 4,5,6 had a great story line was because it had to. There was no flashy effects back then so the story was you selling point. But now a days movie makers are replacing CG for story and that is why there are so few good movies today.
                            Well, for it's time, those effects were "flashy". Many things that film had, the epic space fights, lightsaber effects, the way a ship looked, how it looks flying in space, had never been done before, or if it had, had not looked as real as Star Wars made it.

But what made the movie was the near flawlessly built plot and the depth of its characters. The special effects were just an added bit because it was in space. But if you translate the plot of the original trilogy to any genre (western, modern time war movie, medieval, Ancient Rome), you could fit it in.

Comment

• Muncher
                              Lieutenant

"If you say it's the will of the force, I'm going to send you a pizza role and shove it up you're ass!"
                              We are all gonna have to live in da woods some day, cause the government is gonna take our guns away.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎