X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nd32479
    Imperial Advisor
    • Aug 2009

7.2 surround sound

I currently have 5.1 surround sound. I am putting in a new 7.2 system this weekend. Anyone make this jump already and have any suggestions on optimal settings for gaming?

I found an article on this already, but it was for pc gaming surround system set ups. I am not 100% versed in audio equiptment so try to keep it simple for me.
    Last edited by nd32479; 05-28-2010, 03:20 PM.
    ND

PS3 ID - x__ND__x

XBOX Gametag - DSA x ND x

...So live, that when thy summons comes to join
    The innumerable caravan, which moves
    To that mysterious realm, where each shall take
    His chamber in the silent halls of death,
    Thou go not, like the quarry-slave at night,
    Scourged to his dungeon, but, sustained and soothed
    By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave
    Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch
    About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.

William C. Bryant

sigpic
  • jmhc74
    Honorary DSA
    • Dec 2007

Ooopss...I didn't read your post all the way thru...so what I posted was not necessary...ha ha.

So I guess you bought your system....what did you get??

I know with my Onkyo receiver, it came with a calibaration set.

I guess it really depends on what you have.....does it handle DTS/Dolby HD??? Are you using HDMI or optical.
    Last edited by jmhc74; 05-28-2010, 03:56 PM.
    sigpic

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

• thedooku
      Honorary DSA
      • Sep 2008

REAL 7.2 is not possible with the PS3's audio output options You will have to use HDMI to get 7.1 and optical will limit you to 5.1. There's an option (I think it's DTS) I don't have available in 5.1 using optical.....not sure if it's an optical limitation or if DTS is impossible on PS3.

Hope that helps.....more than Jim :p

"The way a man plays a game shows some of his character. The way he loses shows all of it"

Comment

• jmhc74
        Honorary DSA
        • Dec 2007

@ Dooku....I'm the "asshat", not you....so don't act like me....;)

First off....ND's post is not informative at all and I was trying to understand what he has before I could at least give some adivce.

First off......what did he do with the speakers from his original 5.1. Was his original a HTIB or did he buy a receiver and speakers seperately.

Second...what type of receiver did he get or did he just get another HTIB. Receivers range in price from $200 all the up to $3k to $4k with increased functionality. An average receiver will come with some type of "calabrating" system. My Onkyo that I got 3/4 years ago (I paid $400 for it) had one and its a good idea to utilize it so that your system is configured correctly.

Third...what type of speakers does he have...if he kept his current 5.1 speakers he needs to get additional 2 back speakers and one bass. Are his speakers average or on the high end. If they are on the high end they should have the additional connection for "bi-wiring" for low and high frequencies. You should do this if you have it and all it requires is just additional speaker wire. I fell ass-backwards into a free set of Paradigm front and center speakers and they have the bi-wiring connection and it does make a differnce.

Fourth....what type of cables and speaker cables does he have. The type of calbe/speaker wire is important but not the name brand. I would adivse using a thicker/heavier speaker wire than those shitty ass wires you might get if you buy a HTIB. I would not advise buying Monster since they are overpriced....you can get a thicker guaged nock off brand wire at NewEgg for practically the same price as a smaller guaged Monster speaker wire at Best Buy.

I am far from an expert and while I bought my receiver over 3 years ago I am sort of out of touch with the newest technology. I do know that what I listed above will help with making a system sound better and from what ND listed I just could not get a good read as to where he was at.

You are correct Dooku in that HDMI will utilize the full 7.1.....now with an optical cable you can still hear out of the 4 backspeakers, it just doesn't make the set of two "distinct". The ".2" of a 7.2 will be handled the same way via your ps3/receiver using an hdmi the same way an optical cable handles the "7" (additional 2 back speakers) of a 7.1. I would love to hear how better it sounds with that additional bass....put in a movie like "Master and Commander" during the first battle sequence.
        Last edited by jmhc74; 05-29-2010, 02:32 PM.
        sigpic

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

• nd32479
          Imperial Advisor
          • Aug 2009

I bought the Yamaha RX-v863. I've had it for about a year, but been able to use 5.1 as I only had the 5 speakers. Long story short, I waited to buy additional speakers until had my basement finished with my remodel. I have Infinity speakers. Front and bacl are in ceiling. Sides are in wall. The center channel is above the TV as I have an entertainment system. The "geek squad" set it up and it sounds nice. All components are going HDMI into the receiver and then one HDMI output to the TV.

I know with my 5.1 it took a little tweaking with the speakers to get things to sounds just right. Some times it almost seemed like a single gun was ALL AROUND you until I tweak with the setting. I am not sure what I did, but it sounded pretty nice. So I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions that could save me time with the 7 channels.

@ Dooku, I am just using 7.1 even though I could go 7.2. I was told a single subwoofer is fine given the size of the room I am set up in (23'x35'). Do you think a second subwoofer makes a real difference?
          ND

PS3 ID - x__ND__x

William C. Bryant

sigpic

Comment

• thedooku
            Honorary DSA
            • Sep 2008

Unless your room is theater size, I doubt the 2nd sub would make a difference. I'm still running on 5.1, so all I know about 7.1/7.2 is from what I've read. I'd love to hear/experience it with Socom/Bad Co.2

Jim, buddy, I was kidding (hence the :p) don't get all Angry-Jim on me, my eardrums can't take it ;) Maybe if you turn your 7 channels down, you wouldn't have to yell at everyone :D

"The way a man plays a game shows some of his character. The way he loses shows all of it"

Comment

• jmhc74
              Honorary DSA
              • Dec 2007

I would doubt that another bass would make a difference when gaming....NOW, if you are using the same system for you home entertainment and you love watchin movies (especially on blue ray) than I've to say that getting another bass is a MUST!!! Dude.....seriously put in Master and Commander and watch the first battle sequence.....can you imagine that with another bass!! Put you freakin volume on max and watch your roof blow off!!!
              sigpic

Comment

• nd32479
                Imperial Advisor
                • Aug 2009

I am a movie enthusist and it is the reason I started with a home theatre system years ago. If I can pick up a second sub cheap I may give it a go. Do you have a second sub? Does it help with the left/right? In my set up, they would only be about 8 feet apart.

On a side note, I have not notice a difference yet in 7 channels versus 5 in Socom. Did you have 5 channels before you had 7? If so, did you notice a difference?
                ND

PS3 ID - x__ND__x

William C. Bryant

sigpic

Comment

• jmhc74
                  Honorary DSA
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by nd32479
                  I am a movie enthusist and it is the reason I started with a home theatre system years ago. If I can pick up a second sub cheap I may give it a go. Do you have a second sub? Does it help with the left/right? In my set up, they would only be about 8 feet apart.

On a side note, I have not notice a difference yet in 7 channels versus 5 in Socom. Did you have 5 channels before you had 7? If so, did you notice a difference?
                  Regarding your 1st paragraph.....I really don't know how they work. Are they like the front or back channells and the left and right are distinct OR are they treated equally and all they do is add more bass to the overall experience. My guess is the later.....I still think it would be cool to have 2 bass on action movies.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph....although I have a 7.1 setup my receiver can't handle the hdmi 7.1 sound so I got to go with the optical so my 2 sets of backspeakers are not really distinct. My previous 5.1 system was prior to my PS3...so I can't opine on the difference. I guess the only difference would be the loudness of your backspeakers with going from 1 set to 2.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎