X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fitzgerald7
    Honorary DSA
    • Jul 2009

Help with class

For my Operating System class we have to make an app that is not out already. Do you guys have any ideas on an app you would like thats not out? The prof said it should not have to ask for user input to keep running more like it takes data in from the phone sensors. One example he gave us was it would keep track of times you normally at a place and give u a reminder if you was too far away and could be late getting there.
    Last edited by fitzgerald7; 09-02-2012, 06:52 PM.
    sigpic
    :burnin: I HAVE AVENGED YOU:burnin:
    :burnin:CLAYMORE + FITZ= SCARY:burnin:
  • nd32479
    Imperial Advisor
    • Aug 2009

OK. Sounds like this professor is looking for his next get rich idea on the backs of his students. He wants you to bring him ideas for an application that has not been throught of yet?

If you get rich off my idea, I want a cut!

Make an application that turns the damn phone on silent, airplane mode, or even off when within receiving distance of paired transmitting device. This exist at some level already. For example, you can install a transmitting device that will have your teens phone disabled once they get in the car. However, if you could make a univeral app for multiple transmitters that would be cool. Once you download the application you can elect to enable the application for specific uses at specific places.

Examples of use

Step on an airplane...phone goes into airplane mode
    Enter a movie theatre...goes into silent
    Enter your work place...goes into silent mode
    Go to church .... phone turns off

Of course, business using the transmitter would have to invest in the equiptment to transmit. For businesses like airline or movie theatre they could have preselected options. For other uses, like your place of work, you could synce just like you do with a blue tooth device.

Not a techie...but hope that helps. Now get to work on this and make both you and me some money $$$$$$:D
    Last edited by nd32479; 09-03-2012, 01:05 AM.
    ND

PS3 ID - x__ND__x

XBOX Gametag - DSA x ND x

...So live, that when thy summons comes to join
    The innumerable caravan, which moves
    To that mysterious realm, where each shall take
    His chamber in the silent halls of death,
    Thou go not, like the quarry-slave at night,
    Scourged to his dungeon, but, sustained and soothed
    By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave
    Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch
    About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.

William C. Bryant

sigpic

Comment

• fitzgerald7
      Honorary DSA
      • Jul 2009

Without a question you will get a cut and credit for the idea. I wounder can you do that off the gps on the phone like if you are in the building or certain area the app would switch the phone for you.
      sigpic

Comment

• nd32479
        Imperial Advisor
        • Aug 2009

I seriously doubt GPS would work for all applications. Especially for cars, airplanes, etc as they are mobile. It might work for specifics locations like theatres, church, or your place of work. If the assignment is to use GPS then specific location could certainly be useful. The application could allow you to set your own coordinates (like work or church). I could also see selecting specifc business like theatre chains. (I could see theatre chains promoting the use before the shows). There could be a menu of business or locations (golf courses, theatres, etc) that the coordinates are preprogramed to go into silent mode.

I was thinking more like a bluetooth or wifi detection instead of GPS. At my house I have an ATT Micro cell as my reception inside my house SUCKS. Once I get inside my house, my phone detects I am near the microcell and switches to that mode. All calls are made/recieved through the microcell. I am no techie, but I would think you could write a script to have the phone go into a specfic mode (silent, vibrate, etc) once it detects the microcell / wifi router.
        Last edited by nd32479; 09-03-2012, 11:44 AM.
        ND

PS3 ID - x__ND__x

William C. Bryant

sigpic

Comment

• RegentOne
          Imperial Advisor

This is a good idea but I believe it is a two prone approach. An application would have to be created for the phone and a device located at each location to invoke the appropriate action to the phone. This application would definitely make the most use for drivers so they could not use their phone in the car and a great safety feature that could save on insurance. I think you guys are on the right track with some sort of synch capability such as GPS which is already resident as a feature in newer model cars.
          "Do on to others before they do on to you.”
          {DSA} RegentOne

sigpic

Comment

• norm
            Imperial Guard
            • Jun 2006
            • DSA norm

how about an app that turns your phone off silent in case you forget to before your alarm is set to go off.

Comment

• fitzgerald7
              Honorary DSA
              • Jul 2009

http://www.waze.com/ Does anyone use this app on there phone?

Ran the ideas past my prof and he said they were too easy for our class, but when I learn how to do the app stuff from class Ill start working on them ideas for you guys.
              Last edited by fitzgerald7; 09-08-2012, 12:18 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• Crono
                Honorary DSA
                • Dec 2004

Which platform are you developing for, with which SDK? What you can do can vary depending on those choices.

Depending on your skill in Java (or Objective-C, if it's an iOS app), and understanding in socket servers, you could write an app that monitors a server for you, and alerts you when it's down and other such status change (like if the chat log detects someone asking for an admin).

It could also send messages back to the server, such as change the map, restart, and other administrative commands.

Comment

• nd32479
                  Imperial Advisor
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by fitzgerald7
                  http://www.waze.com/ Does anyone use this app on there phone?

Ran the ideas past my prof and he said they were too easy for our class, but when I learn how to do the app stuff from class Ill start working on them ideas for you guys.
                  No. I don't use it. The car's navigation system has this built in but I have yet to use it as I've not had the need.
                  ND

PS3 ID - x__ND__x

William C. Bryant

sigpic

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍