• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheRealHanSolo
    Officer
    • Jun 2008
    • DSA Solo

Help Me Build a Laptop

So my roommate has an old HP Inspiron 5100 that she was going to throw away and well I need a laptop so I thought I would ask my techie friends here at DSA how I can use the shell of this to build a new laptop. I do not need any CD/DVD drives as I would mainly use this to play games from Steam so think similar to a netbook but just larger and with better quality hardware. Any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated or videos on how to put everything together would be great too. I have taken a laptop apart before but never put one together.

(yes I realized too late which forum I put this in haha)
  • l2ickeh
    Civilian
    • Nov 2012
    • l2ickeh

I haven't been familiar with steam in a long time, being that just for gaming.. how old is it? What are the specs currently? Cheap route or moolah not an issue? Probably just up the RAM and I decent graphics card. I haven't built a computer since 2007, so my knowledge is a bit out dated,
    sigpic

Comment

• Cottoinc
      Imperial Advisor
      • Dec 2009
      • DSA Cotto

Alright I'm always up for a challenge. Lets start out verifying the model. There is no "HP" Inspiron 5100 but there is a Dell Inspiron 5100. Here are the specs for that model:
      Processor Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
      Memory 384.0 MB
      Hard Drive 40.0 GB
      Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
      Display Type 14.1 in
      Graphics Processor ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500
      Optical Drive CD-RW / DVD-ROM
      Video Memory 16.0 MB

Does this look correct?
      "Thrawn: "Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake, Ensign?"
      Colclazure: "No, sir."
      Thrawn: "Anyone can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." [points at Pietersen, Rukh kills him] "Dispose of it. The error, Ensign, has now been corrected. You may begin training a replacement."
      ―Grand Admiral Thrawn, punishing a naval officer for failure

Comment

• RaTix
        Emperor

Short answer.. There really isn't much you can do to upgrade a laptop. It is what it is. You can maybe put more RAM in it, but RAM is the one PC component that actually gets MORE expensive with age. So you might end up having to pay a couple hundred for just 2gb of RAM.

Use it as a shitty web browser net book type system, that's it.
        "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
        ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
          Officer
          • Jun 2008
          • DSA Solo

It's a piece of crap yea but I was hoping to maybe completely gut it and rebuild the whole thing

Comment

• Cottoinc
            Imperial Advisor
            • Dec 2009
            • DSA Cotto

Yeah that is not going to happen. The best that can be done is more ram. You cant gut a laptop and replace it with new parts they are not made like that.
            "Thrawn: "Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake, Ensign?"
            Colclazure: "No, sir."
            Thrawn: "Anyone can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." [points at Pietersen, Rukh kills him] "Dispose of it. The error, Ensign, has now been corrected. You may begin training a replacement."
            ―Grand Admiral Thrawn, punishing a naval officer for failure

Comment

• RaTix
              Emperor

Laptops are usually made to spec with specific boards. They aren't meant to be interchangeable with other parts like a tower PC is.
              Even if you took it apart and bought a new mother board to throw in, chances are you will not get the ports and things to line up properly. The connections for the screens might also be different.

For the money you would spend on that anyway, you can get yourself a semi decent laptop. APU laptops are cheap alternatives to high end laptops with separate GFX cards. Check out the AMD A-Series laptops for good deals.

Buy Lenovo Ultra-thin Notebook IdeaPad AMD A6-4455M 4GB Memory 500GB HDD AMD Radeon HD 7500G 14.0" Windows 8 S405 (59351953) with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Of course, desktops you could probably get real decent gaming rig for the same amount you pay for low end laptop.
              "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
              ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• hecx2370
                Civilian
                • May 2012

Yup. Even replacing broken parts on new laptop isn't feasible most times. It isn't worth the cost considering you can by a good laptop for $400-600 bucks. All with dual processor a good video card and a great deal of memory and storage.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎