• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • l2ickeh
    Civilian
    • Nov 2012
    • l2ickeh

I don't know what to title this.

I really wanted to listen to some music tonight, sitting around not being able to sleep and I couldn't find my headphones... So, I took a walk to the nearest store to buy some. I did something that I think we rarely do, I let myself disconnect long enough to see the true beauty that is around us everyday.

With so much wrong in society, the world, our own lives, we fail to realize that there is always something to be happy for, if we just look deep enough to see it. In the worst situations, there is happiness.

I think we as a people, as a race... We're letting ourselves diminish from what we once were..

And if we are to have any hope... We have to find that again.

Anyhow, I wrote an essay, or.. Whatever you want to call it. It's only about a page in a half.

Maybe it's more of a rant, I don't know. I just wrote.... Well, typed.

Here ya' go.

The jumbled up thoughts of one: Ricky D. Bailey.

Tonight I found myself walking the streets at 3 in morning. “Why was I walking the streets at three in the morning” you may be asking yourself. The explanation is simple: I wanted some earphones and couldn’t find mine. So I decided to walk to the store and get some new ones and that was how I found myself walking the streets of my little home town at 3AM on February 6th, 2013…
    There is this convenient store about 8 blocks or so from my house. They are open 24/7 and it was easier than having to go to one of the bigger outlets that are constantly open and I doubt I would have saved much on some crummy earphones. However, what was different about this walk from that of what one would constitute as any other normal walk… I stepped away from my own problems and drama and I took a look at real beauty, something that we take for granted each and every day… I looked at the world around me.
    Not at what is in the world, but what the world IS. The Trees, The sky, clouds… If there is a higher power and it created all of this, all of this beauty… What were we thinking to fuck it up to such a degree… We were created to be happy and yet we have become the Epitome of sadness and depression. I don’t even want to begin to think of statistically speaking, but just in our everyday lives, going to work, seeing our friends and family.. Complete strangers that come across our paths from day to day… How many of these people do we see that are smiling with that “here but not here” gaze in their eyes… Very, very few and it’s becoming even rarer… To me, that’s a shame.
    What are we doing as a people that our society has failed? Why is it so much easier to do the wrong thing than the right? Why is it easier to support your family by selling drugs than to find a job that will allow you to the same? Why the gray area for right and wrong was even thought into existence, much less allowed to grow to such an extent that we find ourselves being able to find a “Right” excuse for everything we do? We know it’s wrong in our heart and yet because society may not see it that way or perhaps because society has made it the easier road to take, we take it…
    There is a verse in “Warmth” by Incubus. “So don't let the world bring you down. Not everyone here is that fucked up and cold. Remember why you came and while you're alive, experience the warmth before you grow, before you grow old”. With some research I could find who wrote these lyrics, but for my purpose… At least there was at least one person to see what I have seen and come to the same realization. We are destroying ourselves, more so than anything that has tried in the past. We as a race have been through wars, epidemics, plaques, and NONE of this was enough to end us and maybe that is what is so sad about this realization… We are doing what thousands of years of hardships could not do…

What happened to seeing your neighbor and waving and/or stopping over and saying “Good morning”. Grabbing his paper and taking it to him simply because you wanted the friendly conversation. The younger generations see this in movies and think that it was never like that… Is that not a disgrace? Shouldn’t our young people know that it WAS just like that? School shootings, kids on drugs, hate, depression, suicide… Why are all of these at an all-time high? We need to truly break ourselves down as a society, as a people, as individuals and reevaluate who we’ve allowed ourselves to become. We have to fix ourselves before we can expect more of our younger generations, we have to look into ourselves and do something that our Grandfathers and Great-grandfathers did.. Find happiness in ourselves. However we have to do it, whatever it is each and every one of us has to do to make this happen… It’s what we as a people; it’s what we as Fathers, Mothers, Brothers, Sisters, Spouses, Friends have to do… because if we don’t… we will truly destroy ourselves.
    There was a time I wanted to do a documentary, to hitchhike across the U.S.A. and use people’s hospitality to survive and get from one place to the next… And then to show it to the world so we could all see that some people still care, that maybe it’s not as bad as we thought, perhaps we, as a race are not doomed to this path that we’ve created for ourselves. Someone beat me to it, although in a different way, though the same overall concept. This person used Craigslist in a city to survive for 30 days. I really want to watch this, but I’m afraid… I am afraid that watching this will show me how wrong I was to think that people still care and this I cannot bring myself to do, because if that is what it shows me, I will lose all faith in humanity and I will not allow that of myself, because if no one else will hold faith in who and what we are… I will.
    Last edited by l2ickeh; 02-06-2013, 05:57 AM.
    sigpic
  • Nuguistic
    Civilian
    • Apr 2009
    • Nuguistic

Hey man, i've also thought of some of the same things you have written here. I mostly think its just the times we live in now that don't allow us to be as friendly to people as this nation once was. I believe there is a lot of outside influence from the government and from hollywood that enters our households that mold and shape adults and kids. I believe now a days parents are applying way too much pressure on their kids expecting them to be ready for the world at the age of 10. I think it is a little ridiculous to expect big things from our young ones when they are not ready. This may be a bad or small example but I see all the time parents buying things for their kids are 2 or 3 years too old for the child. Then the child gets discouraged from attempting to play with this new toy that when they finally get old enough to play with it they just toss it aside and never tries again. I do a lot of my thinking when its late or really early in the morning. Back to the point, I definitely see where youre coming from man. I sometimes trip myself out at my school when i go to the 4th floor and look outside the window and people watch and see how they behave in the cafeteria outside lounge. But it is awful and ironic how separated we all live yet we are so congested, especially in cities (i live outside of DC). Take care man.
    sigpic
    C'mon Microsoft, i just wanna play for FREE

"I'll have your fucking badge you Mother Fucker!" - Brocman

RIP Wes Martin

Comment

• Stryker0022
      Honorary DSA

Watch Craiglist Joe. You'll be surprise at what you see. I wish I had the fortitude to go on that type of journey.

Thanks for sharing your essay.
      PSN: Stryker0022
      XBL: DSA Stryker

sigpic

Comment

Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎