• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Blunt
    Officer
    • Jul 2007
    • DSA Blunt

Microsoft and Google sue the US Government

tl;dr: Microsoft and Google want to let people know what data the government requests. Government says "No, no, no." MS and Google say "Fine. We'll see you in court."
    Back in July, Microsoft and Google were among a number of tech giants who signed on to a coalition movement asking the U.S. government for more transparency when it comes to sharing the private online data of citizens. Today, the two companies have decided to move forward with litigation against the government, asking the courts to uphold their right to "speak more freely."

Concerns over how tech and social media companies hand over user data--such as emails--have risen in recent months, due to allegations from NSA leaker Edward Snowden and reports the government is attaining private documents through Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) requests. On Thursday, the U.S. government agreed to release a report listing the total number of such requests once a year. Microsoft and Google are not satisfied with the change.

"The government’s decision represents a good start," writes Microsoft general counsel Brad Smith on the company's policy blog. "But the public deserves and the Constitution guarantees more than this first step."

Microsoft and Google had apparently agreed to six deadline extensions in the talks with government officials, but according to Smith, the negotiations have "ended in failure." Both companies feel they should have the right under the U.S. Constitution to specifically detail what information is being handed over upon the government's request--not just total numbers.

"To followers of technology issues, there are many days when Microsoft and Google stand apart," writes Smith. "But today our two companies stand together."
    sigpic
  • The_Blunt
    Officer
    • Jul 2007
    • DSA Blunt

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

Saw this article last night. Apple, AOL (still exists?), Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Yahoo seem to have joined in the fight.
    Last edited by The_Blunt; 12-09-2013, 07:55 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

• Taco_assassin
      Honorary DSA
      • Mar 2006
      • DSA TacO

normally i would think that corporate 'Murica would be pandering to the gov't. It's nice to see that tech giants standing together like that, even if it is because it may affect their bottom line in the long run.

Comment

• RaTix
        Emperor

Hate to just copy/paste from the other thread, but so it's referenced here at least and does pertain to this discussion.

http://www.darksidealliance.com/show...&postcount=256
        To touch on the NSA stuff. Almost all ISP/Telecomm/Email/Internet business are tracked and working with the NSA. This is NOT by their choice. The NSA comes into these businesses with a court order saying they need to hook up equipment to track a user. Refusal means facing charges of obstruction. Even closing down their business could mean facing these charges. Read up on Lavabit and why they closed down.

The NSA tactics aren't just limited to US companies. Sony phones have also been tapped into by the NSA, so it's reasonable to assume that the PSN could just as easily be monitored by the NSA. If their servers are off shore or in Japan, it actually makes it easier for them to tap into them. Because internation law is looser then US laws in regards to privacy.
        CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Quote:
        NSA takes advantage of overseas taps to intercept data flowing within Google's and Yahoo's geographically distributed data "clouds," where multiple copies of user data are stored unencrypted, the Post reports.

Microsoft and Google however, are on the forefront of actually FIGHTING the NSA.

They want to release to the public exactly how many court orders they receive from the NSA to get user info. They are essentially under a gag order and connect release the information. Only vague statistics every 6 months, thats it. Which is why you have ill informed idiots coming up with these ridiculous slandering stories.

The whole NSA thing you have to put the blame on the federal government for allowing it. It's not the businesses faults that they are being held hostage for user information by these agencies. They are not willingly participating, they are forced into it.
        In the end it doesn't matter if it's an X1 or PS4, they can and probably will, tap into all of them. Will they come after you for smoking a bong in front of your Kinect.. NO. If they see drawings on the wall behind you of C4 planted on a blueprint.. well then maybe.
        "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
        ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• Reaver
          Imperial Advisor

This is why the DSA needs to build a physical empire. Order 66 the NSA.
          " I need a beer "

Comment

Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎