• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taco_assassin
    Honorary DSA
    • Mar 2006
    • DSA TacO

Back to school?

I've been putting some higher education steps into play. Talked a bunch to an admissions rep, filled out my fafsa, etc. I have a question for my college/graduated brethren. Any of you know of any websites where i can research grants just incase F.A. doesnt come through completely?
  • mdg60
    Honorary DSA
    • Nov 2009

Your FA and grants depend in part on your financial position. If you are single and have no financial contribution from family members and make under a certain amount then you should qualify for all of your FA. I know that for me my Pell Grant was $5500 a semester. That was the full amount I was eligible for. In addition, you can qualify for subsidized and unsubsidized loans. A quick word of advice, try to avoid student loans as much as you can. Even if it means taking a break from school to work and save up money. Student debt will pile up a lot faster than you think and it's a real bitch to pay off. There used to be other grants out there like the SMART grant, but Obama decided to get rid of it along with a lot of other grants. Instead, they just increased the Pell Grant by a few hundred.

Another great route is to look for scholarships. Not all are based on grades and there are a ton of them out there. A lot are specific to the school you go to, so I would do as much research as you can. I'm sure you could get at least one, and even if it's just a couple hundred bucks, it will help. Stop by your Financial Aid office and talk to as many counselors as you can. Even if one is an idiot, there is usually one who has a lot of good advice.

If all else fails, and you don't mind a little hard work, then joining the National Guard will work for paying off tuition and other school costs.

Hope this helps.
    sigpic
    I have avenged you. - Fitz

Comment

• Stryker0022
      Honorary DSA

Taco, not sure what state you're in but here's one for California:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      PSN: Stryker0022
      XBL: DSA Stryker

sigpic

Comment