X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FunkyFaulc
    Civilian
    • Mar 2009

Need Suggestions for Website Hosting/Setup

Happy 2014 everyone. I know there is some web hosting expertise here among the clan (at a minimum Ratix since he's running this very site). I've decided to make a website for my side business. It will be pretty simple but what I'm really looking for is a way for people to make an account that they can use to sign up for recurring training sessions. I also would like to be able to accept payment.

Any recommendations? I've looked at just building a free site (abssports camps, stadium roar, etc) but they don't let parents create an account that will save data for future registrations.

Thanks.

Funky

"Are you questioning my Bad-Assness? Have you seen my guns?"
  • RaTix
    Emperor

For web hosting, I would go with Bluehost.com. That's the webhosting I use for this site, as well as my old business site. I've also migrated clients from GoDaddy and NetworkSolutions hosting to Bluehost as well. They really have the best price for all the features they give you.

Unlimited Domain Hosting
    Unlimited GB Hosting Space
    Unlimited GB File Transfer
    Unlimited Email Accounts
    Free Domain
    Free Site Builder w/ templates
    Secure Shell, SSL, FTP, Stats
    CGI, Ruby (RoR), Perl, PHP, MySQL
    $100 Google Advertising Offer
    24/7 Phone, Chat & Email Support
    With that you can then look at which CMS (Content Management System) to go with to build your site. Like Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, etc..
    Personally I prefer Drupal. It's easy to use and setup, and has tons of modules.

You'll probably want to look up all those CMS's though and see which ones have modules/plugins that can do what you're looking for with the registrations.

This might help you get started and show what I mean.
    You can get Drupal Commerce (Free Open Source, Commerce version of Drupal)

Here are some free and paid themes to customize the look

And here are modules for exactly what you were looking for.

Depending on whether or not you have a Merchant Account to accept credit card payments, you might have to look for Paypal compatible modules. Or not sure if Drupal Commerce has that functionality built in already.
    Here it is,

Here's the module for Paypal
    This project integrates Drupal Commerce with various PayPal payment solutions. The primary integration method for both versions of the module (Drupal 9+ vs.

If you don't have already a Payment Gateway/Merchant Account, and are looking to go that route, I suggest looking at Authorize.net.
    Here is the module for that,
    Authorize.Net integration for the Drupal Commerce payment and checkout system. Currently supports credit card payments on the checkout form via the AIM API using the latest Commerce release.

Let me know if you need any help.
    "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
    ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• FunkyFaulc
      Civilian
      • Mar 2009

Thanks a ton. Bluehost/wordpress/drupal were all on my list after exploring the last week. Nice to hear from someone with first hand experience. Let me know if you get a discount for referring someone and I'll use yours.

As far a payment I setup a paypal account for business and was also looking at a merchant account. I like the paypal reader as well so I can receive payment out on the soccer field. I don't like the $.30 fee on top of the % fee. But it's for the ease of use I guess.

"Are you questioning my Bad-Assness? Have you seen my guns?"

Comment

• RaTix
        Emperor

If you click the link in my post above for Bluehost when you sign up, that is linked to my affiliate account so I get credit if you stick with them.

No matter whether you go with Paypal or a Merchant account, they are jacking fees from you either way. The only difference is Paypal just takes it up front on each purchase instead of sending a bill every month for batch/transaction fees plus sales %. The only downside to Paypal is the long wait to transfer those funds to your bank account (3-7 business days I think). Whereas with merchant account, after the nightly batch, you usually have it in your bank account in 2-3 days. Which helps when you're cash flow dependent and need to pay other expenses.
        "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
        ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎