• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deslock
    Darth Beratter

Perfect review of BF2

From meta critic dot com:

Andrew Moseley gave it a 2:

""Far too similar to the first battlefront, and with major shortcomings to boot. I mean... The Yavin 4, Mos Eisely, Theed, Endor and Hoth maps are all exactly the same as in the original. And the new maps are all in urban/indoor settings rather than the large, expansive, outdoor settings which takes away the epic feel you should get from playing Star Wars battles; and makes the whole thing seem like more of an isolated skirmish than a tide turning struggle.

Vehicle variety is also lacking. There's only 3 maps in the entire game with an AT-ST! The rest use that stupid tank from the original battlefront which makes for a very un-starwarsy feel, and it takes a little away from the experience when you see one of those little mini walkers from episode 3 go toe-to-toe with a droid AAT and win. Plus there's only one map with an AT-AT and an AT-TE! The ability to play around in the big, hulking Godzillas of the Star Wars universe was one of the best aspects of the original, and they just overlooked it completely in this version.

The inclusion of space battles is one of this games refreshing additions, but even with that they botched what could have been perfect. It gets way too repetitive after a while since all the space battles are essentially the same. The two capital ships just sit there while you fly around and try to blow up the opposing ships critical systems. Seriously... why didn't they add capital ship movement to the to-do list? how cool would it have been to see two ships pull up right along side eachother and just hammer away with their big guns? You know what else would have been nice? A space battle over Endor and Coruscant.

Both of which are suspiciously lacking from the instant action map selcection. Which brings me to the little things... things you wouldn't expect LucasArts to overlook. Things like how in the space battle over Yavin 4, the big red planet is somehow missing. Or how when you blow up a Star Destroyers' shield generators, it's shields are somehow still up?

This game just let me down . All I got was Battlefront, with all the things I loved from the original taken out and replaced with pure mediocrity. There's nothing special here. The Rise of the Empire mode and the ability to play as a Jedi are also nice, but not worth paying the price for this game. Stick with the original. It's a much better game overall than its successor.""

I noticed last night in practice, that the new blaster really doesn't seem to do as much damage as it used to. And the new SBD is just sad..really, really sad. And I truly don't like the HWG hardly anymore.

I'm glad to see that there's interest in reviving the old game.

Please don't misunderstand me. The game IS fun, but it has serious, serious problems, that could've been fixed, if they'd only at least tried.

sigpic
  • RegentOne
    Imperial Advisor

The guy that posted this review does have some good points but I think he is expecting way too much from a console game. After all, programmers can only pack so much on the PS2 CD's. With what is available to SWBF2 compared to BF1, I think the programmers did a decent job. I have yet to play a game that has all the quirks that I would desire to see.

RPG's are great fun and by no way can please everyone's desires. I just think this guy expects too much. I believe the guys that performed the programming for Lucas did a fine job. Maybe they didn't have the full cooperation of the big players at Lucas and you cannot fault them for that.

Yes, I agree in most cases that the first interation of many RPG's has the most effort. But, there is a lot of good stuff that was put into BF2. The Jedi portion is awesome but can be redundant. What game is not after a while? Some folks believe acquiring points to fight with other classes is sad. I disagree. I believe Lucas programmers did this so that you would have to learn a lower class soldier in order to fight with highly sought after special classes. In some ways, this makes the game fair and forces you to learn the true meaning of a grunt.

BF1 and BF2 are excellent replay RPG games. Let's not nitpick the differences to death but enjoy the replay time and have some good ole butt kicking.
    "Do on to others before they do on to you.”
    {DSA} RegentOne

sigpic

Comment

• commander_zach
      Civilian
      • Apr 2006

Capitol Ship

It would be awesome to see capitol ships hammer their guns away. I've always wanted to drive a capitol ship too. Then there's the Clone Turbo Tank that would be the most awesome to drive. I mean missles are coming out of the side of it! But i would still give it a 9.
      AI stands for Artificial Idiots.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎