X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rdaug27
    Civilian
    • Jun 2006

Useless Rant

WTF is up with the world? Ok I am an asthma suffer like many out there. No big deal. The FDA is making the pharmaceutical companies change how the medicine out of inhalers are delivered. Why? Because the old system was unhealthy for the environment. Ok first off I don't think it was the asthma suffers who @$&%$ up the environment anyway. You telling me the asthma inhaler I use causes more damage the the damn smog machine buses we have running round town? I think not. But it gets better. What is in the new delivery system that wasnt in the old one? Guess. Come on guess. Ethanol. Oh yeah. Someone somewhere thought it would be ok for us to just suck up ethanol. Clearly on the label it states "Each actuation delivers from the mouthpiece 90 mcg albuterol in propellant (HFA 134a) and ethanol." How much ethanol you ask? Beats the $#!% out of me. They don't say. WTF? No lets not put ethanol in cars to save the environment, we have a bigger problem.....asthma inhalers. You have to be fucking shitting me. I tried to blur out my cursing bud damnit this is crap. I read one website some users might notice " a strange taste" No shit. What could that be? Something you can run a damn vehicle on numb nuts but naw its ok for us to put it in here and you suck on it.
    sigpic
  • Zabka
    Imperial Guard
    • Nov 2004
    • DSA Zabka

I can clarify some of this for you. Albuterol inhalers had long used CFCs, chlorofluorocarbons, as propellants. CFCs were used in almost all aerosol cans (hairspray, etc) in addition to other industrial applications. Years ago, CFCs were banned in part due to the general understanding that CFCs contributed to the destruction of the ozone layer...I believe this ban took place in the late 80s. However, albuterol inhalers did not change in part because of the perceived public health risk if the manufacturers were not able to switch over in a cost effective manner that would risk non-compliance by users. As a result, albuterol inhalers were given a lot longer to make the switch. They actually still have some time left before the switch has to occur (and I believe the manufacturers kept getting extensions). However, by now, these generic manufacturers have sourced alternative forms of inhalers and can make the switch--but the margins on the new inhalers were worse, so they held out. I believe now, however, there is so little manufacturing left for the old inhalers that most began switching ahead of time.

This is not entirely factually correct (I only paid marginal attention to the issue), but this is largely the gist of the situation, I believe.
    You're the best! Around! Nothings gonna ever keep you down!

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

• CHRIST
      Civilian

weeeeeeeeee drugs lol jk

"I know they were just kids, but we kicked their pube-less asses!"

Comment

• Rdaug27
        Civilian
        • Jun 2006

Ok let me define Useless Rant lol j/k. I know all the technical BS involved and stuff, I just can't believe its safer for me to inhale an unknown amount of Ethanol each time I use my inhaler. "But Ethanol is made from corn and stuff." Yeah well I'm allergic to corn so WTF 8O I am just pissed cause now apparently I am going to have to change drugstores cause this "New" medicine that is supposed to be the same is made by a different company and dosen't work as well. So probably several Dr. visits and some other BS and everything will be ok. I just hate having to spend the time and money doing something that should not be necesarry. The company that made my medicine apparently changed or something and now offer a different medicine under a different name that is supposed to be the same. Why they couldn't just change the delivery system is beyond me. I guess they couldn't make the money they can if they change the name and shit, and you have to go back to the doctor for a new prescrition. That way Insurance, the doctor, and the pharmaceutical company can all get a piece of the $$.
        sigpic

Comment

• Kerry2
          Imperial Advisor

Just a helpfull hint from a former chronic asthma sufferer.

Take up playing a musical wind instrument. I always thought it sounded like BS, but in the 7th grade I was hospitalized for several weeks due to a massive asthma attack that would not relent. The doctor that was working with me, told me to pick an instrument and join the school band. As soon as I got back, I took up the saxaphone and have not had a serious asthma attack since. Learning to play the instrument helps strengthen your lungs and increase capacity. My 10th, 11th, and senior years, I was the lead long distance runner in our school. Ran 1/2 mile run, 1 mile run, 2 mile run, and 2 mile relay every track meet. Was down to 4:53 in the mile and around 11 minutes in the 2 mile, also set a school record for the 2 mile relay. Never had to use my inhaler once. The only time my asthma ever bothers me is if I'm in a confined place with either cats or horses as I'm deathly allergic to both, even then I generally use an updraft machine if it gets too bad, best money I ever spent.

Seriously, the only way to ever beat asthma is to strengthen your body past it. Inhalers are a crutch, to be used for emergency relief. Like I said, take up playing a wind instrument, trumpet, trumbone, sax, tuba, anything you can get your hands on. While you are sitting there watching T.V. or just laying around. Take a heavy book or a 10lb wieght and lay it on your chest, breath as deep and as long as you can. Don't let asthma defeat you, you are only a slave to it if you allow yourself to be. I promise you, it can be beaten and once you do, you'll enjoy life a whole lot more.

I have a rendezvous with Death, at some disputed barricade. It may be he shall take my hand and lead me into his dark land, and close my eyes and quench my breath, it may be I shall pass him still. I have a rendezvous with Death, on some scarred slope of battered hill. And I to my pledged word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous.

Comment

• Zabka
            Imperial Guard
            • Nov 2004
            • DSA Zabka

Saxaphone? Kerry--I thought you played a certain kind of flute.

sorry to make light in a very serious conversation---but I had to.

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

• UncleRico
              Civilian
              • Jun 2006

Does bass count? Lol I guess lifting my upright could be a lung workout lol....anyone else out there play bass? (Comp?)
              UncleRico

sigpic
              I like cookies. You like cookies? You no like cookies? I put rebel scum in your cookies...

Comment

• Kerry2
                Imperial Advisor

Zabka, that was my secondary instrument.

I have a rendezvous with Death, at some disputed barricade. It may be he shall take my hand and lead me into his dark land, and close my eyes and quench my breath, it may be I shall pass him still. I have a rendezvous with Death, on some scarred slope of battered hill. And I to my pledged word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous.

Comment

• Zabka
                  Imperial Guard
                  • Nov 2004
                  • DSA Zabka

I am sure you play it like a well skilled veteran. which is actually quite disconcerting to even type.

Comment

• Deslock
                    Darth Beratter

Zabka....:

sigpic

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢