X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rdaug27
    Civilian
    • Jun 2006

Drizzle strikes in Boston?

Did anyone else see this? Its great. Someone made a sign of a "gesturing character" Its the moon man from Aqua Teen lol. The police have another unsalvable crime on their hands lol.
    sigpic
  • Rdaug27
    Civilian
    • Jun 2006

HOLY CRAP!!!! This thing has gotten HUGE lol. I thought it was just one at first but the had bomb squad out and everything OMG!!!! I guess they should have just used spray paint and graphittied everywhere, no one ever makes a big deal of that. LOL
    sigpic

Comment

• Zabka
      Imperial Guard
      • Nov 2004
      • DSA Zabka

Shut down the city. Very irresponsible advertising. They should have to pay a hefty fee. They knew exactly what they were doing. They knew some people would think they were terrorist related and freak out--so they woud get free advertising. Only it costs tax payers a ton of money. Some people should be fired for this nonsense. We got enough real threats in this world without needing a fake one from aqua teen hunger force.
      You're the best! Around! Nothings gonna ever keep you down!

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

• TriPP
        Civilian
        • Jun 2006

in my opinion boston clearly over reacted and charging the two working stiffs is lame. if anyone should get the hammer down on them it should be turner/cartoon network. with that said, i don't think anyone should get in trouble. governments make mistakes and that's what boston did, none of the other cities these were in had problems, just boston.
        Frodo failed, Bush has the ring!

Comment

• Dioxin
          Honorary DSA

the two mid/late 20 year olds who put up the signs are being held on FELONY charges. that seems absurd.
          "F--k Ron Paul!" -Gino in the heat of a losing battle; COD4; Crash.

Comment

• Rdaug27
            Civilian
            • Jun 2006

I can't believe they (Turner/Cartoon Network) didn't have to get some permit, or some kind of permission to put these things up. I know they were probably looking for cheap advertisment, but Turner is a huge ass company and should know at least to do that. Its all getting blown way out of proportion. Oh well its not the first time the Government blew something way out of proportion.

In a side note, I think they look bad ass and I want one lol.
            sigpic

Comment

• Dioxin
              Honorary DSA

it's probably something like $100 fines for posting things without permission. Like, in my town, you get a visit by the cops with your garage sale sign if you place it in the wrong location. They just tell you not to do it again. (cops in my town are rather bored).

However, Boston is claiming that they spent $500,000 in law enforcement efforts to deal with the sign. I doubt it is that much.

Sounds like the 2 guys who placed the sign are represented in court. I think Turner co got them a lawyer.
              "F--k Ron Paul!" -Gino in the heat of a losing battle; COD4; Crash.

Comment

• Zabka
                Imperial Guard
                • Nov 2004
                • DSA Zabka

Authorities have arrested two men in connection with electronic light boards depicting a middle-finger-waving moon man that triggered repeated bomb scares around Boston on Wednesday and prompted the closure of bridges and a stretch of the Charles River.

My understanding is that there were packages placed all over the city that had to be detonated by bomb squads. if you guys are forgetting where some of the planes that crashed into the WTC took off from on 9/11, it was Boston. NYC has posters all over the place telling people to call a hotline with any packages that are left unattended or seem suspicious. I saw a bomb squad detonate a duffel bag outside of a kinkos in NYC a couple years back. You just don't take any chances. I feel like NYC, DC and to some degree, Boston, are more vigilant about these things than the rest of the country. The violation of the feeling of security are probably much higher here than elsewhere.

Whoever dreamt up and then approved this idea should be fired. No question. Fines should be levied on the employer. At best, this is a silly ad campaign that didn't have the proper permits. At worst, this is a terrorism hoax designed to play upon media fears. I don't care if a cartoon character was on the boxes----is that all a terrorist needs to do in order to keep their bombs from being detonated, make it look like an ad?

This was not just a case of government overreacting. This is a case of trying to protect citizens from unknown packages around the city. I have to believe that the people who thought up this idea knew this would be a potential consequence and wanted some media attention. I don't think they wanted Boston to shut down for a day. Either way, lots of lost productivity.

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

• CHRIST
                  Civilian

haha dioxin, I dont mind, Amherst is like one of the safest towns in the country, but Buffalo is a different story. pretty much like all big cities i guess.

"I know they were just kids, but we kicked their pube-less asses!"

Comment

• MajinTony
                    Honorary DSA
                    • Aug 2005

Heh, there's no such thing as bad publicity, and I'm sure 'ole Teddy Turner can foot the bill for this. The folks at adult swim already put out a FAT apology statement last nite. It sux that it scared people, but I think this just goes to show how paranoid our society has become. Err of the mooninites shows up, and we have a bomb threat. Worker Joe leaves some powdered sugar from his doughnut on the table and it's Anthrax. We live in a world of Hysteria, and I'm not talking about a Def Leopard album.

Adult Swim F'd up, got everything taken down in the other cities befoe any more drama happened. Someone's Idea just went wrong. They will probably be fired and never able to work in advertising again.

On a lighter note, I can't wait to see the ATHF movie!!! Should be freakin hilarious.

"Beefcake the Mighty, clotted with spew. His sword falls, skulls burst in two. The eyes burst from sockets, he is not through. Thousands of warriors he does this to. Piling the corpses of those that he slew. Untill it was hard to tell if the pile grew!"-GWAR

Comment

• Muncher
                      Lieutenant

This is great, I can use this for my news story for history class.
                      Drizzle i cant believe you did that, you scared the bajebeis out of everone.
                      We are all gonna have to live in da woods some day, cause the government is gonna take our guns away.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• RaTix
                        Emperor

I think this is fantastic. I don't understand why after the first one was found that the police and bomb squads and all those experts couldnt't just say HEY, Its only a glorified light bright, and that would be that. Batteries, LEDs, and wires. OMG its a fucking Nuke. Ppl are so scared and timid nowadays. Yeah you have to be on the look out for shit about to go down, but this is just recockulous. This was nothing more then the city cashing in on this AD campaign to boost its own publicity and cook its books for more funding from the federal government. They wanted to say, HEY look we have threats, Give us money. Its sickening. I'm just upset this Ad campaign didn't cause mass hysteria to a level of riots breaking out and ppl looting.
                        "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
                        ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• Zabka
                          Imperial Guard
                          • Nov 2004
                          • DSA Zabka

I guess everyone has a different view point. I think it is irresponsible to place packages in subway stations unattended and then place similar ones at bridges, etc. This was no accident--they didn't put them on corner of Newbury Street. They TRIED to make people think they were bombs. Guess what--it's illegal to make bomb threats or to fake bomb threats.

In England, I am not sure if this is still the case, but they used to not have public trashcans in airports because they were perfect places for bombs to be placed. I am a true believer that 9/11 was just the start of something much worse--and that there is little we can do about it but hope that police, military, and intelligence are able to thrwart as many attempts as possible. So I don't see the point in screwing around with their jobs. Perhaps Boston will try to get more funding out of it---but the reality is NYC didn't get the vast majority of the funding it was to get because every congressional district saw the cookie jar open and reached in for a piece. Our ports go unchecked. Airport security is still a joke. our commuter rails are completely undefended and unchecked. It has been that long since Madrid and these idiots try to do a bomb hoax for an ad campaign? Damn right it is a felony and should be a huge fine for Turner Broadcasting (I don't know if Teddy has anything to do with them anymore since he got booted from AOL Timewarner).

Here's the thing---my political views lean far more left then they do right--but when it comes to issues of security, after my 9/11 experience, I think any a-hole who pulls crap like this needs to do time.

Comment

• Rdaug27
                            Civilian
                            • Jun 2006

Like I stated, I can't believe a huge company like Turner would not get some kind of special permit or something for this. If that were done, then none of this would be happening. If these two guys go down Turner will be in so much deep shit they wont know what hit them. The city will sue, the two guys could sue (especially if they could be put away for some time) and anyone who was nervous or anything could sue for mental anquish. It was a different idea, but should have been pulled off in a much smarter way.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Grejo
                              Civilian
                              • Jul 2006

is that the thing with those two hippies who put that image on like a corner of a door or window or something? And possibly as they were walking into court or some official area, they were hoppin around and dancing and stuff acting like complete fools?

if it is i saw them while working out and i TORE MY FUCKING TRICEP WHILE DOING THE MILITARY PRESS!!!

was funny though, and it was on world news earlier tonight

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎