Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dioxin
    Honorary DSA

long weekend... lots of possibilities

Oh man. I had a long weekend. My dad died a year and a few days ago. My mom decided living in NYS wasn't what she wanted. They were going to move together anyway. So, her house is on the market and she had to decide what to do with her stuff. She had already moved the things she really wanted, but there was a lot left.

In particular, there was a lot of stuff there that I had left (edit: when I moved out as a kid). We ended up coming back with a full (and I mean FULL) van load of stuff. I have about 10 big boxes of starwars, spawn/mcfarlane, tick, etc action figures. Alone, each of these sells for nothing. Ebay has really hurt the market. However, I found that SETS of toys can pull in some green. Looking forward to selling some stuff.

On top of that, my dad had years of old playboys and mad magazines. One or two of the Mads sell for $20 each. I just searched for completed ebay sales... for one example, playboy year 1966 (just 12 issues) sold for $350. I have every year from 1960-1979. It is probably worth $300-$1000! Woot!

Ugh. Gotta unload my g/f's van in 1 degree weather with a windchill of -20F. this sucks. Gotta go back tomorrow with my car to fill it up the rest of the way. I'll still probably leave things that I wanted to take.
    "F--k Ron Paul!" -Gino in the heat of a losing battle; COD4; Crash.
  • Dioxin
    Honorary DSA

phew... alright. cold problem solved. At about midnight, I figured why not bust into a bottle of champaigne that my mom gave me. Half an hour and half a bottle later, it suddenly feels a lot warmer out there. It's actually just about as cold, but the wind seems to have disappeared.

All I have left in the car are some boxes of books and some tools. Since I don't want them to fly forward in case of an accident, I'll remove them still tonight. But, first, I must clear some room! I filled our entire kitchen and now I can't get to the fridge. We had some awesome Thai food yesterday and I don't want it to go to waste.

Man, I'm burning to play some drunk socom, but access to kitchen sinks is really useful. I think I'll clear some room first. Oh and yes, since I don't have a cork stop, I think I'll have to finish that bottle of asti.

Other stuff I came across was a bunch of my own kids stuff (esp ceramic halloween stuff my grandma made) as well as some stuff that belonged to my uncle who died before I met him (on dad's side). OH yeah, and lego sets. Like the dark something or other's castle. I found that stuff on Ebay out of box selling for $30! It's less than it actually cost, but I can't believe it is still selling for that price. These are from the 80's.

Comment

• LordCompulon
      Imperial Advisor
      • Feb 2005
      • DSA Comp

I always thought that it was weird to go through old stuff of mine. I think that many of us have pack-rat tendencies. Recently I finally learned how to throw stuff away.

Sounds like you got through it all okay. I have to say that your playboy collection sounds quite fantastic. Are you sure that you want to sell that? Wow!
      Destroy Everything

sigpic

Comment

• Dioxin
        Honorary DSA

I need money in a bad way. It's possible that it could just go up in value, but there are 6 Xerox paper boxes filled with magazines. Each box weighs about 100lbs. There's no way I want to move that crap again.

It sucks that all my toys are pretty much worthless. I should have ditched my star wars toys before lucas crapped out episode 1.

Comment

• CHRIST
          Civilian

haha man, i got out of school today because of that weather. although it sucked because my district was like the last one put up there. If I hadnt been watching the school closings I would have already almost left for school.

"I know they were just kids, but we kicked their pube-less asses!"

Comment

• Grejo
            Civilian
            • Jul 2006

i got out of school today as well. -40 degrees outside.

anyways i hope for the best dioxin

Comment

• Dioxin
              Honorary DSA

well, I finally moved EVERYTHING in. My arms and back are killing me. At least at my mom's place there was a garage. I've got a good 30ft from my car to my door at my place... The wind is freakin crazy!! At least it's only a -9F windchill today with 24 mile an hour winds... :roll:

The idea of getting some money kept me going though (and booze last night). So, I've got a total of $1,000 until June and I owe my g/f $540. So, I need some cash. Anyone here sell stuff on ebay? I could use some tips on how to sell. I have good photography skills (with infinity backgrounds), but I'll take any other advice. Like, I have no rating right now... well, maybe two positives at the most. How important is it to have a bunch of ratings. Theoretically, I could buy a whole bunch of $.99 items with $.99 shipping, but people are telling me it isn't worth it.

Comment

• whtsoxdude
                Civilian
                • Jan 2007

i know what you mean. i never knew i had so much stuff until when we moved from chicago to atl. it was crazy we had a huge uhaul and one big ass white van filled with shit i never knew i had. ohhh yeah and my dad took his playboys.( cant forget those.)
                sigpicdo or do not. there is no try

Comment

• Grejo
                  Civilian
                  • Jul 2006

dioxin are you one of those people who live paycheck to paycheck? cuz otherwise i'd try to save every little penny you have for anything that may come your way....i know i do but it's still really hard

Comment

• Rdaug27
                    Civilian
                    • Jun 2006

We all live paycheck to paycheck don't we.......? Ok ebay. I have sold everything I have put on there. Which was only like 2-3 items so I don't think you have to worry too much about the rating. The best thing to do is to make the buyer as comfortable as possible. Make sure you are available and answer all the questions. That will build confidence in them to send you the money, then you send them the shit. Make sure you put a Reserve on your stuff so if the biding doesn't get to a level you wanna sell at, then you don't have to. Happy Ebaying, and let me see some of them toys cause Rpup loves the classics. Ok I love them too but you know. I was able to get a few original Optimus Primes and a Grimlock and he loves them.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Grejo
                      Civilian
                      • Jul 2006

hah. keyword: ''then send them the shit''

Comment

• Rdaug27
                        Civilian
                        • Jun 2006

Thats just how I talk Grejo. I mean no offense.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Dioxin
                          Honorary DSA

haha... I don't even get paychecks! I'm a phd student and my funding ran out. I just realized that I have a $12000 CD available in June. Until then, I'm living off $1000, including rent and food (and anything I can sell).

I'm willing to do individual sales before I do ebay auctions. I'm keeping all of my original star wars toys, but I'll sell a majority of the new stuff. SO... just post a request or a pm if there's an item that you particularly wanted. I have most batman the animated series villans (bling), all of the Tick figures, and 90% of the kenner Power of the Force re-release figures (incl some 12 inch figs like ben, tusken raider).

So, if you need individual figures to round out your collection, let me know.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎