X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MajinTony
    Honorary DSA
    • Aug 2005

Cover Songs

I figured I'd start this before the 80's thread gets off topic. While I am more anti-cover, due to classic rock songs getting destroyed by modern artists, there are some covers that are better than the originals in my opinion.

Guns N' Roses version of Knockin on Heaven's Door and Marilyn Manson's version of sweet dreams would be 2 that come to mind immediately for me.

But it's crap like last night that piss's me off. Myself and some friends were hanging out when one of them brings up how there's this new Rap/Hip hop song out there that he likes. He start's singing "Don't you look at my girlfriend, she's the only one I got." When I finished the verse, he goes you heard that already. I said yeah, the first time when freaking Supertramp wrote it. That stuff gets to me.

Anyways........

Cover Song Trivia:
    The most covered song is done so over 3,000 times. What song is it?

"Beefcake the Mighty, clotted with spew. His sword falls, skulls burst in two. The eyes burst from sockets, he is not through. Thousands of warriors he does this to. Piling the corpses of those that he slew. Untill it was hard to tell if the pile grew!"-GWAR
  • Dioxin
    Honorary DSA

Re: Cover Songs

Originally posted by MajinTony
    Marilyn Manson's version of sweet dreams

I probably shouldn't share this with you guys, but I went to the first manson show after they toured with NIN. This was before sweet dreams was released. I was hanging out with White/Twiggy for a while by the tour bus and Brian/Manson got out of a cab after a phone interview. He kind of looked at me, we met and he went inside. Very quiet guy. So half way through the set, I'm as close to the front of the stage as anyone can get. Manson busts into Sweet Dreams, which was actually not totally over played at the time. He's on a wooden box that is lit from inside with holes cut in the top and sings the entire song looking at me... I was humbled and freaked out at the same time...

For the question, I'm going to go with Paul McCartney's "Yesterday".

OK, I've got a punk band in mind that does a lot of covers. They remade an entire soundtrack of original music from a very popular movie. Name the band and movie soundtrack. I may have to give hints, as this isnt' something you can google... (coughtony).
    "F--k Ron Paul!" -Gino in the heat of a losing battle; COD4; Crash.

Comment

• Zabka
      Imperial Guard
      • Nov 2004
      • DSA Zabka

i have heard that the most covered song was yesterday---but don't know if that is the same kind of rumor as the one that Paul McCartnery owns the rights to the song "Happy Birthday to You" the one you sing with a cake.

I need a hint Dioxin.

Also Tony---what Supertramp song? I was just driving yesterday and heard some old Supertramp, and thought it was hillarious. Reminded me of when Homer has Simpsons flashbacks to highschool with Marge.

By the way, my favorite cover of all time---Cake did a version of I will survive on the album they put out in 97..the one that did huge. That was about the time that every girl at a bar would request that song and sing it at the top of their lungs (the chick version). Cake did something to it that just made it really cool.

i like covers so long as they are done in tribute to the original artists and are either very faithful to the original or presented in a different way.
      You're the best! Around! Nothings gonna ever keep you down!

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

• Dioxin
        Honorary DSA

Hint #1: ok, the band also did a song for one of the scream movies.

Cake's I will Survive is a pretty damn good cover.

EDIT: Let's start the top worst covers ever.

There's a cover of NIN's Head Like a Hole. It's incredibly rediculous. I don't know who sang it but it was on some NIN tribute cd that came out 5-10 years ago.

Comment

• Zabka
          Imperial Guard
          • Nov 2004
          • DSA Zabka

wait....was their soundtrack for the movie originals or was it them covering all the songs from the soundtrack of a movie. I realized, i wasn't sure. but the Scream tip doesn't help a lot---they had a lot of music in thosemovies.

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

• Dioxin
            Honorary DSA

zab, I didn't want to give too many clues in case someone here knew it.

it them covering all the songs from the soundtrack of a movie.

Comment

• Rdaug27
              Civilian
              • Jun 2006

Ok I have the Cake remake of I Will Survive, and Goldfingers remake of 99 Red Baloons on my playlist here. http://www.pplaylist.com/user/2327266

Cake still rocks. Goldfinger has remade several songs including Duran Duran's Rio and Ghouls Night Out by I don't remember, but they punk them up and kick ass at them.
              Some country singer (Jack Ingram I think) just remade Hinders Lips of an Angel and it sucks so damn bad. The new Land of Confusion by Disturbed is ok cause its basiclly the same song, but the guys voice gets on my nerves. At the end of every line until he reaches the chorus he does the same thing with his voice and it just sounds way to produced.
              Damn I know I will have others later.

Oh Faith No More did a good cover of Easy Like Sunday Morning lol.
              sigpic

Comment

• MajinTony
                Honorary DSA
                • Aug 2005

The Supertramp song I speak of is "Breakfast in America" Some other new age gay rock band cover'd "Give a Little Bit" not too long ago also. No need for that.

That Cake cover does own, but brings back memories of times I and other's would like to forget.

Way to take the fun out and "google" an answer Dioxin. :D Oh well Zabs would have gotten it anyways.

If anyone happens to love Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and likes Raegae music as well......A group called the EASY STAR ALL STARS cover'd that entire album. It's a great piece of work. The cash register sample at the beginning of money is done with a lighter spark/bong rip/choke sample that works to perfection. Highly Recommended!

"Beefcake the Mighty, clotted with spew. His sword falls, skulls burst in two. The eyes burst from sockets, he is not through. Thousands of warriors he does this to. Piling the corpses of those that he slew. Untill it was hard to tell if the pile grew!"-GWAR

Comment

• Zabka
                  Imperial Guard
                  • Nov 2004
                  • DSA Zabka

you tube has a couple clips of 7 seconds doing it live.

I also like Social Distortion covering Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire.

The Cult covers Born to be Wild really well in the album Electric.

Alien Ant Farm does a REALLY good cover of Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal. I always liked the video too.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Master_Ian
                    Civilian
                    • Apr 2006

myspace.com/master_ian best remake ever.
                    One shot, One kill.

Comment

• Rdaug27
                      Civilian
                      • Jun 2006

Cake remade an old Bread song The Guitar Man on their 2004 album Pressure Chief and it fucking rocks.
                      sigpic

Comment

• captnjeter
                        Honorary DSA

There was a cover of "I Will Follow" I heard on ESPN not too long ago that actually sounded good. The cover of Supertramp's "Give a Little Bit" is also very good. And speaking of "Ring of Fire", Coldplay did a nice version of that one during a concert.

The worst cover has to go to The Ataris' cover of "The Boys of Summer". Their preformance of that song at the MLB All Star Game in 2003 led me onto that song, but compared to Don Henley's original, it's nothing.
                        "You gotta have fun. Regardless of how you look at it, we're playing a game. It's a business, it's our job, but I don't think you can do well unless you're having fun." - Derek Jeter

Comment

• Dioxin
                          Honorary DSA

thought of another good remake... RHCP - Higher Ground (orig by stevie wonder).

ok, since no one could get my too obscure trivia, it was Less Than Jake and they did the entire Grease soundtrack. I think the only punk most people here listen to is fairly old school punk like social D.

Comment

• Zabka
                            Imperial Guard
                            • Nov 2004
                            • DSA Zabka

I don't know Less than Jake. although that sounds like it would be cool. The entire soundtrack? Including all the Sha Na Na songs? that would mean they were covering a band that did 50's cover songs. Something very meta there.

Comment

• Dioxin
                              Honorary DSA

zab, there are 8 tracks. We Go Together has a lot of sha na na in it.

1. Summer Nights
                              2. You're the Only One That I Want
                              3. Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee
                              4. Greased Lightnin'
                              5. Hopelessly Devoted to You
                              6. Blue Moon
                              7. Beauty School Dropout
                              8. We Got Together

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎