Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EagleOne
    Honorary DSA

PS3 or Xbox 360

Looking into buying either a PS3 or Xbox 360 and I've read up information about both gaming systems, just wanted to if anyone has any recommendations.

• norm
    Imperial Guard
    • Jun 2006
    • DSA norm

Honestly I can't tell you what is best for you. I have looked into it over and over. I started out wanting the PS3 and thinking that was the best. When the PS3 was released and I saw how Sony was treating folks compared to how Microsoft was treating people I started to lean towards the 360. After playing both systems I decided more towards the 360. The biggest part of my decision was which way the clan was going. With Ratix and most of the DSA going to the 360 that sealed the deal. I love playing with these guys so that made the choice easier.

As of right now in the PS3/360 debate it's honestly apples and oranges. The exclusive titles that Sony once had are becoming multi-platformed. The graphics look about the same for both. Sony's Home should help them compete with Xbox Live. It is still early in the console wars and I truly believe the games are only going to get better for both systems. So it just depends on what you are looking for, what the people you enjoy playing with have and so on.

I know this really didn't answer your question. I just hope it gave you a couple of things to think about. Good luck Eagle and hope to see you on the battlefield soon.

Comment

• Zabka
      Imperial Guard
      • Nov 2004
      • DSA Zabka

lol. EagleOne--This is a topic that has probably been discussed here countless times. I suggest that you look through the Cantina and the xbox360 gaming sections to see a lot of different articles about this as well as the members opinions. There really isn't a "right" answer. Both systems will provide remarkable improvements in both graphics and gameplay. Let me see if I can list out the basic pros of each system (not cons).

PS3 Pros:
      -Blu Ray player will be nice assuming it wins the DVD format war
      -Blu Ray discs hold much more information that could be exploited to create bigger games (certainly more extras)
      -BIG (60 gig) hard drive
      -HDMI cable outputs (but no HDMI cable)
      -Cell Processor has more raw processing power
      -No pay for online service (although individual game developers could still charge for it)
      -web browser (good for downloading stuff)
      -Sony is launching HOME, a virtual world through which Sims like characters walk around and interact (and have apartments that they decorate) to counter the social networking aspect of LIVE. Not sure if it aids gamers a lot other than the ability to get into a room together and have a multi group chat before going into a game.

Xbox 360 Pros:
      -About $200 cheaper (but witha 20 gig Hard drive--120 gig HD rumored to be announced soon, but not cheap)
      -XBOX Live only costs $4.16 a month and provides full server support: downloads for new maps, patches to fix all bugs, etc. in a very expedient fashion--something that was AWFULon PS2 (too early to tell with PS3)
      -XBOX Live is superior for online gaming in enabling live chat, text and voice message sending and notification in game regardless of which game you are playing, the ability to see friends playing a different game and send them a game invite or message to join your game. Connecting for online gaming in LIVE is remarkably easier. Friends list and text messages can be accessed and written from PC without ever booting up your console.
      -Game titles. Many more games on 360, more exclusives, former ps3 exclusives are shifting to 360 (assassins creed, devil may cry, ace combat, grand theft auto, final fantasy--and metal gear solid is rumored to potentially be as well). With larger installed base and easier development because of less complicated processor, many geme developers are using the 360 for their base development and then porting to the PS3. More exclusives are expected for PS3 in 2008 since they lost so many in 2007, but this situation is very fluid.
      -360 has more memory which counteracts much of the lower processing power (memory is PS3 processing's rate limiting step)
      -can access photos and music from your PC and stream it to your 360 while playing.
      -cross platform gaming between PC and 360 will occur in some games.

Other points:
      Both have online stores to access downloadable content. XBox live is more advanced with movie rentals (HD and non), TV show downloads. Xbox live marketplace now has the 2nd most downloads for video content behind itunes.

Both offer wireless controllers. PS3 has a motion sensor in theirs that is used in some games (and will be more so in other games like Warhawk), but has no rumble because they were infringing on another company's intellectual property although that has recently been settled. 360 does not have motion sensor, but has rumble. 360 has removable batteries (AA) or a plug and play charger/battery set can be bought. PS3's battery can't be removed, so if battery life is compromised, controller must be replaced.

PS3 runs very quietly. 360 drive and fan run louder (that is being tweaked).

We have about 20 guys with the 360 in DSA. We have 4 with the PS3, but about 10 more who expect to get it in the next year or so. It seems that the real focus for 360 owners is the service that LIVE provides, the higher numbers of games and exclusives, and the ease of online gaming across multiple games. The focus for PS3 buyers (or buyers to be) seem to be the blu-ray player, greater processor, free online, and it's not microsoft (very important to some).

To be honest, game trailers has side by side comparisons of some games. There are differences in lighting and textures and sometimes in load times, but the advantages go back and forth between the two and each fan will see theirs as better. I honestly see no meaningful difference in game graphics between the two. game play in both is great. You can't go wrong. The 360 with its wider reach and earlier launch has the advantage of an installed user base of close to 11MM (approximately half of which never owned an xbox). The PS3's launch had its problems, but supply is out there now and was launched internationally this week (been in japan for a couple months). There are about 2MM installed units.
      You're the best! Around! Nothings gonna ever keep you down!

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

• Deslock
        Darth Beratter

I have to agree with Zabka. He has a 360, I have a PS3. Take a look at the specs he posted. Both are great systems, it just depends on which better fits your needs.

Zabka wanted better support than what the PS2 offered (which is nothing offered), and the ability to play with more people in the Clan. He doesn't mind pay for play, whereas I despise it.

Either way the gameplay, support, and graphics on each system, including the Wii. The ultimate decision really depends on the individual desires of the decider.

sigpic

Comment

Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎