X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GnrlHerpes
    Civilian
    • Jan 2005

game ping

just a quick question about joining public servers: in looking for a game, is high ping or low ping best? and what the hell is ping anyways?! lol dont wanna sound like an idiot, but i never knew what that meant, even though ive been playin online games for 2 years. any1 have an answer? thanks
  • RaTix
    Emperor

Wow.. ok.. Well I'll be the brave one to answer this question, why, cause I think its a damn shame to have anyone go through life not knwoing what a ping is.

Ping is the time it takes to send a packet (a packet is an amount of bytes being sent through the connection, Think of it like sending a simple notepad file) To the host and back to your PC (PS2, Xbox and all that applies as well, they all are basicly a computer of sorts).
    So when a ping says 50, It means 50 milliseconds. It takes 50 milliseconds to send a packet from your house to the host and back.

Therefore the SMALLER the PING the BETTER. When pings are too high, Thats when lag accures. Now go read the other thread titled "What is Lag".
    "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
    ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• GnrlHerpes
      Civilian
      • Jan 2005

hahaha thanks ratix. im not stupid, but i never figured that one out. okay i kinda guessed smaller was better but thanks for reassuring me.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎