Ad

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • captnjeter
    Honorary DSA

Gino, the Ravens comparision makes no sense. McNair got injured the first game of the year and ended up missing nine games. Their defense played alright for a 5-11 team. But, basically, when Kyle Boller has to be your quarterback for most of the year, you're in bad shape.

Neither does your explaination of the Saints make any sense, either. Their defense was an issue even in 2006, as the Bears proved in that Championship game. In 2007, their defense was even worse. They gave up over 40 points on opening night, and that secondary was a sive. Add in that Deuce McAllister is lost for the year with an ACL tear, destroying the "Thunder and Lightning" combination of him and Bush from 2006. Not to mention, they lost a game because of poorly executed double reverse.

A loss in the post season I don't think ever has an impact on the next season. The loss in momentum hardly ever carries on that long. And let's face it: Sean Peyton and Brian Billick combined don't amount to the coach that Belichick is. I know they didn't go 19-0, but there is something to be said for going 18-0 until the Super Bowl. This is the second time in four years they've had a winning streak of 18. That is a testament to the focus that Belichick has. He doesn't allow his players to get distracted or to worry about past performances. I believe that when the 2008 season starts up, Bill will have his players ready to go out there. And with the type of players he has, he should have no problem going at least 12-4.
    "You gotta have fun. Regardless of how you look at it, we're playing a game. It's a business, it's our job, but I don't think you can do well unless you're having fun." - Derek Jeter

Comment

• Reaver
      Imperial Advisor

Originally posted by Deslock
      I can't help it.

Everytime I see Reaver's avatar;

"I want to taste the Rainbow"...lol
      LOL! she has a pretty rainbow doesnt she des.
      " I need a beer "

Comment

• The_Blunt
        Officer
        • Jul 2007
        • DSA Blunt

Originally posted by captnjeter
        This will offend some of you (Blunt), but you can mark this down now. The Patriots will be the Super Bowl champs next year.
        I think it's a little too early to be making such a bold prediction like that.
        We have no idea what any of these teams will look like at the end of the 2008-2009 season.

They have the seventh pick overall, still one of the best coaches and quarterbacks in the game. They just need to sure up an old defense.
        Again, it's too early to say that the draft will give the Pats the players they need to win the Superbowl.
        Their defense is about to get revamped, whether it's with young free agents or draft picks.
        Either way, they're gonna need some time to develop together.
        I think it's safe to say that the GIANTS coaching staff out-coached the Pats coaching staff.
        And Tom Brady was proven to be human last Sunday.
        If you put pressure on him, he's nothing more than an average QB.
        All he wanted to do the entire game was go deep to Moss.
        That is why he got whacked nearly ever play.

A better offensive co-ordinater wouldn't hurt either, I mean after that first half they didn't max protect at all, no wonder Brady was always on his ass.
        This line made me laugh really hard.
        Calling Max-Protect would have been disastrous for the Patriots.
        The Giants were getting pressure with their front 4 all night.
        Yeah, they called some blitzes, but most of the pressure was from the defensive line.
        And most of the blitzes were 5 or 6 man blitzes.

Lets look at these numbers:
        11 guys on defense, all trying to defend the ball.
        11 guys on offense. 5 of them can't legally catch a pass.
        6 of them can legally catch a pass, including the QB.
        Take away 3 of the 6 people that can legally catch a pass
        (Both TEs and RB, making it Max-Protect, 8 guys blocking)
        and you're left 3 WRs (including the QB)
        trying to get open against 7 defenders (assuming it's a 4 man rush).
        Add in the fact that they would rarely call a trick play where the QB
        becomes a receiver, and you have 2 WRs running against 7 defenders.
        If they did Max-Protect, The GIANTS would have been able to double each WR AND Tom Brady at the same time.
        How would that help the Patriots? The answer is: it wouldn't.

I think we're going to start seeing that physical Patriots Defense from 2001 and 2003 come back. Harrison and Seau are getting older, so it's about time they draft younger guys.
        As I said earlier, you can't just plug in a bunch of young guys and expect it to work.
        It did work for the GIANTS this year, though.
        All of our draft picks made our team and 7 of them played this year and were very productive.
        But it doesn't always work like that.
        I don't expect the Pats D to be very good just because they added a bunch of youth.
        We don't even know if they're going to do that yet anyway.

BTW, the taped Rams practice in 2002 Super Bowl was a Red Zone walk-through. You know how many times the Rams got into the Red Zone that game? Once.
        I was listening to the radio on game day and they said the Rams were stopped 5 times in the red zone.
        But I never saw that game, so I don't really know.
        And I can't count on NFL Network replaying it cuz now they will just be playing GIANTS 87, 90 and 07 Superbowls.

This is the second time in four years they've had a winning streak of 18. That is a testament to the focus that Belichick has. He doesn't allow his players to get distracted or to worry about past performances.
        You know, I used to think that was true, until I saw the Pats come onto the field of SB42.
        They looked like they didn't even care. Like the game was going to be handed to them.
        I know Gino can agree with me on this:
        Compared to the way the GIANTS came out, the Pats looked like a deflated balloon.

You could see it in their eyes the whole game.
        Tom Brady looked offended by the amount of hits he was taking.
        I bet a bunch of those guys on that team had a big "*GULP!*" or "Uh-Oh!"
        when they saw they were going against the GIANTS
        because they knew that was the only team that had a chance of beating them this year.
        You could tell they were scared.
        (not saying the teams that played them close didn't have a chance to win.
        But they didn't seal the deal, so...)

Just for s***s and giggles:
        .GIANTS are the only team to win a Superbowl in 3 consecutive decades. (87, 90, 07)
        .They are only the 8th team to win 3 Superbowls.
        .GIANTS are the first Wildcard team out of the NFC to ever win the Superbowl.
        .9:59 is the longest Superbowl drive ever, courtesy of the NY GIANTS.
        .Jeff Feagles is the oldest player in Superbowl History at 41 years, 333 days old.
        .255 passing yards is a career playoff high for Eli Manning.
        .Eli Manning is only the 2nd QB in Superbowl history to throw two 4th Quarter TDs. Joe Montana was the first.

There are more records but I cant remember them right now.
        Last edited by The_Blunt; 02-10-2008, 03:46 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Gino
          Civilian
          • Mar 2007
          • Gino31B

A loss in the post season I don't think ever has an impact on the next season. The loss in momentum hardly ever carries on that long.

It IS PROVEN Jeter. Of the last 6 out of seven teams that lost the super bowl, they all failed to make the playoffs. And all 6 didn't have winning record. Some teams ride a momentum swing. Admit it. Giants faced it this year at the end of the year. Next year they will be garbage. They have no talent at all. Momentum won the the super bowl.
          sigpic

Comment

• The_Blunt
            Officer
            • Jul 2007
            • DSA Blunt

Originally posted by Gino
            Some teams ride a momentum swing. Admit it. Giants faced it this year at the end of the year. Next year they will be garbage. They have no talent at all. Momentum won the the super bowl.
            Kiss the trophy:
            sigpic

Comment

Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍