X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MajinTony
    Honorary DSA
    • Aug 2005

Ian/musicians

My acoustic guitar has steal strings and at about the 6th fret my high E has kind of a rattle to it, and it gets progressivly worse as I work my way down the fret board. Same thing with the B string at around the 7th or 8th fret. Do I just need new strings? Or is it something else? Just curious and any advice would help. I can get by but it's just annoying.

"Beefcake the Mighty, clotted with spew. His sword falls, skulls burst in two. The eyes burst from sockets, he is not through. Thousands of warriors he does this to. Piling the corpses of those that he slew. Untill it was hard to tell if the pile grew!"-GWAR
  • Master_Ian
    Civilian
    • Apr 2006

How old are the strings?
    One shot, One kill.

Comment

• Cancer
      Civilian

Now I am by no means a guitar expert, but I think that maybe the wood may be warped and the fret board has come seperated from the neck so the strings are touching the frets. That happened to my bass but it was up near the head so I don't know if that can happen that low.
      Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

As a man, I don't have high standards for women. I just three criteria you must meet. One, are you a woman? Two, have you always been a woman? Three, if you answered "No." to either of the previous questions, can you keep a secret?

One should never start a conversation with, "I don't mean this in a gay way, but..."

No Animal BEAT drums don't EAT drums!

sigpic

Fire fighter- Fights fire
      Crime fighter- Fights crime
      Freedom fighter- ???

Comment

• The_Blunt
        Officer
        • Jul 2007
        • DSA Blunt

Whenever that happened to me, I just replaced my strings.
        sigpic

Comment

• MajinTony
          Honorary DSA
          • Aug 2005

They have to be at least a little over a year old, maybe more.

"Beefcake the Mighty, clotted with spew. His sword falls, skulls burst in two. The eyes burst from sockets, he is not through. Thousands of warriors he does this to. Piling the corpses of those that he slew. Untill it was hard to tell if the pile grew!"-GWAR

Comment

• The_Blunt
            Officer
            • Jul 2007
            • DSA Blunt

Originally posted by MajinTony
            They have to be at least a little over a year old, maybe more.
            Yeah, that just might be the problem. :p
            sigpic

Comment

• DARKHELMET
              Honorary DSA
              • Feb 2006

YA, Tony replace the strings at first and see if it stop the” BUZZ” sound if it’s hitting the fret board then you may have to take it down and get the neck look at. What happen with acoustic guitar
              If you let them set to long with the string tie, it will warp the neck.

If you don’t want to send the money to get the neck fix ,you can put a little piece of paper at the bridge ( the one string that Buzzing) this will stop the buzzing but the string sound Dead.

I hope this help if not give me a call,DH
              sigpic

Comment

• Master_Ian
                Civilian
                • Apr 2006

Strings are generally supposed to be replaced every 3 months or so. It could very well be the problem, I would try it and hope that fixes it and if it doesn't, its a much bigger problem.
                One shot, One kill.

Comment

• MajinTony
                  Honorary DSA
                  • Aug 2005

Thanks guys, I'll start with the strings. Hopefully that does it, and the neck isn't warped like DH suggested. If the neck is warped I'll be fixing the Fender acoustic I have instead. That only needs a tuning knob.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎