X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NotRob
    Honorary DSA
    • May 2007

Annoying Laws and their loopholes

Well, not loopholes really, just any way in which a particular law can be avoided, nullified, made un-enforcible, etc....

Post here any annoying laws and "ways-around-them" if you know, if not I'll be happy to keep myself occupied by searching the law for you guys. Just wait another 3 years and I'll be acting legal counsel of DSA. (anyone else here a lawyer/law-student?)

---I know that I plan to have my own office one day (for my own business) and the NY State indoor smoking laws kinda ruin that dream of mine. I smoke, I like to smoke, I know what it does to me, and hell... I didn't even start till I was 18 and it was legal to buy 'em.

I want to have my office and have a god damn cigarette while doing work, and even if its my business the "law" says I can't. A pox on the law I say! In NY State the only way I'd be able to light one up in my "non-food/booze related" business would be if:

-My business is a Non-profit with no employees (just volunteers)

-10% or more of the annual income of the business is from retail tobacco sales (I may just open a window to the street so I could sell cigarettes.

-My business has no employees. Because the law specifically states that smoking would be banned in places of employment (as defined below), I will be able to smoke if my business does not meet the defined criteria:

"Place of employment" means any indoor area or portion thereof under the control of an employer in which employees of the employer perform services, and shall include, but not be limited to, offices, school grounds, retail stores, banquet facilities, theaters, food stores, banks, financial institutions, factories, warehouses, employee cafeterias, lounges, auditoriums, gymnasiums, restrooms, elevators, hallways, museums, libraries, bowling establishments, employee medical facilities, rooms or areas containing photocopying equipment or other office equipment used in common, and company vehicles.

------>> Well, what if I need employees but want to smoke? The only loophole I can think of is as follows:
    If the business is registered as an Limited Liability Company (LLC) then it would be possible to "hire" someone by making them a "member" which makes them part of the ownership of the company, and thus not an employee. And, who by definition would have to own a part of the company (determined by # of "units" owned), but it could be an insignificant amount without "voting-rights"). Yes, the "employee" would have to be in on this scheme and their "pay-check" would either be erratic or a result of laundering money through other channels (choose one). Although its more of a "loop-maze" than a loophole, a business would be able to hire additional staff and be able to smoke tobacco in the office.
    *This also applies to an S-Class Corporation, but the "employees" would have to be paid in shares of the company. Shares = Units (they use two words for essentially the same thing for the two types of business entities).

NY State Smoking Law

When I get around to it I'll start reconstructing other laws and point out where they can be circumvented/exploited. (warning though... nothing here is a guarantee)

And my question to you:
    What other annoying laws, & possible loopholes, you guys faced with at all?
  • Shoot_Me_Now
    Civilian
    • Nov 2007

Not being able to rent an apartment as a freshman or sophmore in college.

Loophole: If you live within 30 miles(around that number) from campus your allowed to commute. So just tell the school you are commuting and live in an off campus apartment. That is if your parents allow that.
    sigpic

Comment

• UncleRico
      Civilian
      • Jun 2006

That's great Shoot_Me_Now! Gunna have to try that one, since I breed exotic animals. Not much of one for having a tegu in a dorm anyways... lol
      UncleRico

sigpic
      I like cookies. You like cookies? You no like cookies? I put rebel scum in your cookies...

Comment

• Muncher
        Lieutenant

Do you have any loopholes for search and siezers on school ground or rights of a captive audiance? Just in case I wanna get out of school one day.
        We are all gonna have to live in da woods some day, cause the government is gonna take our guns away.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Shoot_Me_Now
          Civilian
          • Nov 2007

Oh forgot. just make sure you use your parents address whenever filling out an address for the school. Good luck with that exotic animal thing.
          sigpic

Comment

Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎