Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Muncher
    Lieutenant

Some Helpful Tips for an Interview

Here's the story, I sent in an application to best buy friday afternoon. Today, saturday, they called me and ask for an interview. I was woundering if any of you aces could give a few tips. (Not ratix though, he has been unemployed for a while. lol, I hope he doesn't bann me for that. Jk Ratix, I would really appreciate your advice.) This will be my first interview.
    We are all gonna have to live in da woods some day, cause the government is gonna take our guns away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheRealHanSolo
    Officer
    • Jun 2008
    • DSA Solo

Muncher here is the one thing if they ask what kind of attachments would you sale with say a TV or an Xbox: extended warrenty. If you mention that as the first thing you would sale and give the manager some bullshit about how they are great investments and you buy them for everything, I guarantee you will get the job. That is the first thing they will coach you on selling to ANY customer. So if you mention that in your interview you will probably increase your chance of getting a job 10 fold. Now when you get the job you can pick and choice who you offer the plan to like I did at Staples but then again Staples didn't push as hard as Best Buy does for those things.

Comment

• AndyPants
      Civilian
      • Oct 2004
      • Pants9000

Think about answers to silly questions like "What does 'The customer is always right' mean to you?" and the all time classic "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Best to be general and positive about the answers.

Also, don't feel you have to know all the answers to specific questions, sometime they try and trip you up. For instance "What would you do if you saw someone shop lifting?" You don't know store policy so don't say anything specific. Maybe just, you don't know what the policy is but you might contact someone in security (or something like that).

Don't lie, if they feel you lack experience make them feel you can make up for it by being an enthusiastic and quick learner.

Most of all, just relax, smile, and everything will be fine.

Comment

• norm
        Imperial Guard
        • Jun 2006
        • DSA norm

that might help

Comment

• Tomahawk
          Imperial Guard
          • Feb 2006

Act professionally. By this I mean dress nicely, don't use slang while you speak, be very polite, etc.

For the love of god, make sure your resume and application do not look like a 6 year old wrote them. Poor punctuation, spelling, and grammar immediately give a poor impression. Presentation is key to getting any job.

Since this is a sales job. You have to be friendly, outgoing, and approachable. Being shy and quiet is not going to make them want you as an employee.

A few final tips for any interview. Relax and be confidant. Give them the impression that you know you can do this job.

Good luck Muncher.

Comment

• RaTix
            Emperor

(Not ratix though, he has been unemployed for a while. lol, I hope he doesn't bann me for that. Jk Ratix, I would really appreciate your advice.)
            That's it, your out of the clan. j/k...maybe....

Relax and be confidant. Give them the impression that you know you can do this job.
            Best advice right there. Go into the interview as if you don't need that job. **** em if they don't take you. It's pretty much a mind exercise to get you relaxed and feeling confident. That's why it's easier to always get a job when you have a job. Because you don't need that job so your more relaxed.

No matter the job, well unless laborer maybe, always wear a suit to the interview. Or at the very least Khakis and a nice dress shirt.

Think about answers to silly questions like "What does 'The customer is always right' mean to you?" and the all time classic "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Best to be general and positive about the answers.
            Also great advice. If they ask you where you see yourself in 5 years, just be sure NOT to say "taking your job as manager" or anything along those lines lol. I Hate those ****ing questions. "What is your best quality" hard worker, great with people, eager to learn, reliable, yada yada..., "What is your worst quality" While NONE might seem like a good answer, picking something that's more good then bad is also a good idea. Like I feel compelled or obsessed to finish things I start. or I can't sit still for long so I might always be bugging you to give me something else to do.

Good luck Munch
            "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
            ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• Gino
              Civilian
              • Mar 2007
              • Gino31B

Everyone here has given extra tips. Being a former manufacturing supervisor this is what I looked for when I hired people at Generac.

1. Appearance- groomed properly and dressed for occasion
              2. Promptness- Is this person late or on time for interview. Be 10-15 minutes early.
              3. Attitude- Did this person look like he didn't care if he got job? Make sure you stand-up and shake their hand when they come in to greet you.
              4. Enthusiasm- Did they bring energy or were they a slouch. "turd-nugget"
              5. Honesty- Did this person look like he was honest or did he look like he was out for his best interests.

They know you probably not experienced but that really doesn't matter. Cause as long as you are willing to learn and do what they tell you with a great attitude, you have a leg up on most people
              sigpic

Comment

• keyser28146
                Honorary DSA

Ask intelligent questions when prompted.

"Will I have to work overtime?" Indicates laziness.

Go in positive, well dressed and make sure you use the bathroom and are watered/fed before you go in. Bring your own pen, etc. You never want to go into an interview situation with any potentiality for needed ANYTHING. If you have to ask for water, or to go to the restroom, or for a pen, etc etc you put yourself at a psychological disadvantage.

Don't hesitate to be enthusiastic. Which is better to hear from a date?:
                a) well, I have a bunch of dudes I have been talking to, so I don't need to date you.
                b) Nobody else will go out with me, so I'm glad to be here.
                c) You'll do until a better dude comes along OR
                d) I like what you are about!

Apply that logic to your interview.

Don't lie, don't brag, don't lean on school/awards/accolades/certifications on your resume.

I have fired 2 people that had MCSE's. They are idiots. If someone acts cocky about their MCSE or something I will throw them a piece of cable and a set of crimpers and tell them to pretend the green pair is broken and to make me a working crossover cable. If they CAN do it I'm generally shocked, but since they wanted the interview to be about certification, I test them on CCIE. If they want your quals, they will get that from your resume. They aren't idiots, theyve read your info before you got there, even if they ACT like they haven't.

Go in unassuming. Be polite. POOOLLLIIIITTTTEEEE Yes sir, no sir, please, thank you... all that registers, especially with someone in sales who more than likely hears nothng but whining and bitching from both clerks and customers.

Most importantly: you are going to be a sales guy? Sell yourself. You are a racehorse that just needs a shot on the track. Pitches are for con artists... you want to be familiar with the products they sell and minutae like that... example... let's say you are interviewing at Best buy, and you notice they sell brands A and B, but NOT brand c. When prompted in the intervew if you have any questions, pipe up: "I noticed you don't sell brand c widgets... how would I answer if a customer asked for brand c?" This kind of question implies that you have not only prepared for the interview by being polite, but you took enough time to be familiar with the products they sell, and have enough initiative to want to do a good job, and have the forethought to start your training process in the interview.

Have an answer for the pay question. "I'm not going to be happy with less than $1000/week" is prob not gonna get you hired. Don't be afraid to say: "Obviously more is better, but I realize I need to prove my ability first to be in a better bargaining position." Show that you have given it some thought, and be areful to give a desired salary as "I'd like to have THIS AMOUNT, though I realize THAT AMOUNT may be more realistic".

Don't be Obama or Bush, NOONE would hire either of them, regardless of whether they VOTE for them. "Uhm" and "ahhh"s are NOT ok. If you don't know what to say, train yourself to shut up and get the words right.

Don't slouch. Stay sharp and attentive.
                sigpic

Comment

• Muncher
                  Lieutenant

Update

Thank for all your support guys. It really means a lot. This is truely a family, everyone working together to help eachother out.

I thought it went really well. At the end of the interview he was laughing at me and calling me buddy. (A good laugh I think) I don't know what that means, but I hope it is good. cause Buddy better get a job. lol He tried to hand me a crappy pen, but nope, I had my own.

I will let you guys know if he calls me back.
                  We are all gonna have to live in da woods some day, cause the government is gonna take our guns away.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• EagleOne
                    Honorary DSA

You should have out me as one of your references on your application. I could have given him a list of your qualifications such as:

1. He's a P-U-T-Z
                    2. A tree hugging cherry pickin hippe
                    3. Very bad influence around others
                    4. That is all

Comment

• Reaver
                      Imperial Advisor

Munchy These are the 3 tips I always keep in my mind.

~Show Interest
                      ~Use "Yes Sir/Mam No Sir/Mam
                      ~Ask reasonable questions and enjoy it
                      " I need a beer "

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎