Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sovereign
    Honorary DSA
    • Jan 2008

With regard to one of the image captions in the "Demoralizing Posters" thread

Originally posted by Blaze_Stryder
    Originally posted by Reaver
    Lmfao! I Bet Those Workers Felt Pretty Retarded When They Realized They Spelled School Wrong!!!
    First off, that's a hilarious image, and the caption is great, however, I'm trying to figure out if the creator of the poster intentionally wote "Guess you should of went."

Interesting, as it's a topic that always interested me:

-> Why do people insist on saying "should of," "would of," and "could of" instead of "should have," "would have," and "could have"?

Whether it is now officially acceptable to use these word combinations or not, historically it has not been acceptable, and many who are intimate with the English language might frown upon this... http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/couldof.html

Here is an interesting discussion on this matter... http://languagerules.wordpress.com/2...d-of-would-of/

is not the hope you are looking for...
  • R2D2
    Civilian
    • Mar 2006

Owned?

Comment

• sovereign
      Honorary DSA
      • Jan 2008

what... my typos?

is not the hope you are looking for...

Comment

• R2D2
        Civilian
        • Mar 2006

lol No,
        First off, that's a hilarious image, and the caption is great, however, I'm trying to figure out if the creator of the poster intentionally wrote "Guess you should of went."
        You simply put this guy to shame, and the only reply I could think of was "Owned?" which is a taunt that my clan leader has on socom, basically it means "I'm sorry did I just own you?". And BTW I doubt he did it intentionally.

Comment

• Cancer
          Civilian

PLUS! It should be, "Guess you should have gone."
          The reason people spell it "should of" instead of "should have" is because they get so used to saying "should've" while speaking orally.
          Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

As a man, I don't have high standards for women. I just three criteria you must meet. One, are you a woman? Two, have you always been a woman? Three, if you answered "No." to either of the previous questions, can you keep a secret?

One should never start a conversation with, "I don't mean this in a gay way, but..."

No Animal BEAT drums don't EAT drums!

sigpic

Fire fighter- Fights fire
          Crime fighter- Fights crime
          Freedom fighter- ???

Comment

• Blaze_Stryder
            Civilian
            • Feb 2007

I didn't spell check it.
            It's in a list of motivational pics.
            sigpic

Comment

• captnjeter
              Honorary DSA

Originally posted by Cancer
              PLUS! It should be, "Guess you should have gone."
              I was wondering if anyone would pick that part of it up. That's the only possible error that came to my mind.

Went implies, for lack of a better word, a certain class/date/event.

Gone implies school as a whole, as in day-in, day-out attendance.

I think...
              "You gotta have fun. Regardless of how you look at it, we're playing a game. It's a business, it's our job, but I don't think you can do well unless you're having fun." - Derek Jeter

Comment

• keyser28146
                Honorary DSA

Originally posted by sovereign
                First off, that's a hilarious image, and the caption is great, however, I'm trying to figure out if the creator of the poster intentionally wote "Guess you should of went."

Interesting, as it's a topic that always interested me:

-> Why do people insist on saying "should of," "would of," and "could of" instead of "should have," "would have," and "could have"?

Whether it is now officially acceptable to use these word combinations or not, historically it has not been acceptable, and many who are intimate with the English language might frown upon this... http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/couldof.html

Here is an interesting discussion on this matter... http://languagerules.wordpress.com/2...d-of-would-of/
                I rarely say "Should have"... I normally say "should've" which sounds like "Shouldov or f" I don't say "Should ovv." I took it as intentional buttoning up the joke.

sigpic

Comment

• Rdaug27
                  Civilian
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Blaze_Stryder
                  I didn't spell check it.
                  It's in a list of motivational pics.
                  Yeah but once the Grammar Nazi's get involved, its all over man :p
                  sigpic

Comment

• Blaze_Stryder
                    Civilian
                    • Feb 2007

Maybe the quote "Guess you should of gone" is a rebuttle meaning the
                    person who originaly created it ... should have.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎