X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ditch
    Civilian
    • Oct 2006

PHP classes

I am looking to learn php, can anyone here point me in the right direction to find php classes? I am somewhat computer illiterate but would like to lean php language and eventally java and linux, right now I just need to focus on php
    Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man, that state is obsolete. A case to be filed under "M" for Mankind - in The Twilight Zone.
  • RaTix
    Emperor

W3Schools offers free online tutorials, references and exercises in all the major languages of the web. Covering popular subjects like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, SQL, Java, and many, many more.

That should help you get started.
    If anything I would give yourself a little project to work on. Think of a simple app to make and then look up some tutorials to see how to do it. If you need any help, let me know.
    "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
    ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• Frell
      Civilian
      • Nov 2004

I went down this road with RaTix before. Good stuff, but id look into picking up an HTML book or look for it online. It'll help you in the future.
      For what we do in life, Echo's in Eternity.

<object width=468 height=60><param name=movie value='http://www.zupidoo.com/swf/modernwarfare2.swf'></param><param name=allowFullScreen value=true></param><embed src='http://www.zupidoo.com/swf/modernwarfare2.swf' type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen=true width=468 height=60></embed></object>

Comment

• Ditch
        Civilian
        • Oct 2006

thanks guys I appreciate it, I'll keep this updated
        Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man, that state is obsolete. A case to be filed under "M" for Mankind - in The Twilight Zone.

Comment

• RaTix
          Emperor

I went down this road with RaTix before.
          I wouldn't say you went down the road WITH me. More like you passed by , pointed, laughed and then listened to me complain as I changed the flat tire on my PHP code.

You bring up a good point though. Ditch how much about any type of web development do you know? I assumed if your looking at PHP you already know something about HTML. If not, definitely start with HTML as you need that to make the actual pages and templates.

HTML = Visual design (tables, borders, forms, layout in general)
          PHP = engine (functions, database queries, basically how to handle the data being entered)
          MySQL = Gas tank? The database with all the info you gather and/or need to be displayed.

Try to get a copy of DreamWeaver. It makes it easier to learn as you can build a page with using the toolbar (insert image, insert table, etc..), but you can also switch to the CODE view to see how it's done.

Also recommend Notepad++. No design view like DW, but supports color formats for just about all types of coding layouts.
          "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
          ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• Ditch
            Civilian
            • Oct 2006

I have no idea about developing web pages or code, I am looking at my location and the future as an electrician with no benefits and constant minor injuries, considering border patrol with dioxin or starting at my friends company -$55 thou per year to start, full insurance/vision dental after 30 days (wife is quiting ritz camera tsm position on thanksgiving = no more benefits + a baby in dec and gall bladder removal soon after) he said I just need to know php and he would hire me. so I am checking it out.
            Last edited by Ditch; 09-22-2008, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• AndyPants
              Civilian
              • Oct 2004
              • Pants9000

PHP and MySQL for dynamic websites by Larry Ullman is a great book. It got me started. It's a bit dated now as it covers PHP 3 and 4 but since many web servers run PHP 4 still its not that far out of date and the main thing you would miss out on is object oriented programming which PHP 5 has implemented in a style consistent with other programming languages. But it will get your feet wet and not scare you off while doing so.

I have always found having a book is much easier than only reading online but both are necessary. Also look at picking up an O'Reilly book on PHP. They tend to be more reference oriented and not so tutorialized but can be real handy.

One more good but slightly advanced book is PHP 5 in practice By Elliott White, Jonathan Eisenhamer.

There are of course more but those are at the top of the list in usefulness and accessibility.

Good luck on your web dev career. I too am going to get more involved in what has been just a "side gig" up until now and put architecture to the wayside.

Watch out for Ratix. He only THINKS he knows what he's doing :p
              HAYOOOOO! Just kidding dude

Comment

• Ditch
                Civilian
                • Oct 2006

bought and am currently reading and getting lost and confused in the book php in 24 hours, long book and it means 24 lesson an hour each

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎