X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RageProphetXIII
    Officer
    • Jan 2009

Heavy Rain

Now this game looks great. And looks like a good story check out the link.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/co...avy-rain/56911
    sigpic
  • keyser28146
    Honorary DSA

It's one I've been keeping my eye on...
    sigpic

Comment

• Indiana_England
      Civilian

Yeah. Heard about it last year. I brough up the topic on a forum I constantly post on. "What game can you keep playing after the main character dies" Heavy Rain was a constant answer.
      Apparently.... you can keep playing after your character kicks the bucket.

Comment

• Rommel
        Civilian
        • Jul 2009

And when it releases, brace yourselves for the "Are video games art?" debate all over again.

Comment

• Reaper316
          Honorary DSA
          • Nov 2009

Okay guys, I've downloaded and played the demo. I have mixed feelings about this game, so I was wondering about your opinions of the demo if you played it. The game is very different mostly using QTE to do anything, think, talk, use the environment etc.

The thing that really gets my attention is the story and characters. I really like mysteries especially if they are done well. It really intrigues me that you play as 4 different characters as well, each tied to one another somehow, or at least to the murderer.

They say that you can die as any of the playable characters and its permadeath. Everything you do in the game drastically changes things and how it will end.

So what are your impressions of the game so far?
          sigpic

Comment

• keyser28146
            Honorary DSA

I like it.

I'm a fan of noir and crime drama type movies, and tend to "figure them out" long before the ending. As my moniker suggests, I was a HUGE fan of "The Usual Suspects", mainly because of the great twist at the end.

The control is strange, to say the least, but while it seems clumsy at first, I did like the way that as the detective you could lean on a dresser or sit on the bed while asking questions and the other character seemed to react to that. It definitely grew on me, because I did after a while really feel more attached to the characters... the drudgery of the FBI guy climbing the muddy hill, and the quickness required to get back down without falling.

I thought it came together really well at the hotel room during the fight... very cool.

I really like the idea of it and the way it works. I was initially hesitant to DL the demo because I had preordered it a while back and didnt want to spoil anything, but the demo seems very spoiler free and did a great job making you understand how it works. I am extremely interested in seeing how the death of characters affects it and wonder if will be be enough to compel me to play it through several times.

I wonder if parts of the mystery elements could change?
            sigpic

Comment

• Reaper316
              Honorary DSA
              • Nov 2009

Like you I am also very interested after the demo, even though I'm not too fond of the QTE aspects of it. For some strange reason it has grabbed me and I actually want to figure the whole damn thing out.

I haven't preordered the game or anything though, but I have played through the demo a few times. There are lots of fine details which is great.

Also about playing through the game multiple times, there is a thread somewhere from the developer saying you should only playthrough once even if a character dies. Due to that real life you only get one shot at it. But, who is he kidding I'm sure I'd like to know the multiple endings.

Although if it pulls me in enough and the end is very satisfying then maybe I would just leave it at that, and whoever died really did die.
              sigpic

Comment

• Nuguistic
                Civilian
                • Apr 2009
                • Nuguistic

I wish i had a ps3, i've been kinda following this game. Yo reaper, whats QTE?
                sigpic
                C'mon Microsoft, i just wanna play for FREE

"I'll have your fucking badge you Mother Fucker!" - Brocman

RIP Wes Martin

Comment

• Reaper316
                  Honorary DSA
                  • Nov 2009

QTE =quick time events. ala dragon slayer if you remember it. Your watching an action sequence when a prompt for a button push comes up. Push the right button at the right time, or pay the consequences.
                  sigpic

Comment

• keyser28146
                    Honorary DSA

Yup. Like in RE4 or 5 when you have to hit buttons during cinemas.

This is essentially on entire game built using them, but it uses them in extremely clever ways and in a variety of styles. Sometimes its holding buttons in chains until they disappear, sometimes it's a simple press, sometimes its a quick reaction... but if you mess up, it's permanent and affects the story.
                    sigpic

Comment

• MajinTony
                      Honorary DSA
                      • Aug 2005

I let the detective get his ass beat in that hookers room. I didn't hit any QTE buttons and he wore more than his share of abuse.

Great concept, seems to have some replay depth, but how many times will a person play through it? 3-4 maybe. I need more value for my dollar. Looks amazing though, it looks like FF: Spirits Within CG wise.

"Beefcake the Mighty, clotted with spew. His sword falls, skulls burst in two. The eyes burst from sockets, he is not through. Thousands of warriors he does this to. Piling the corpses of those that he slew. Untill it was hard to tell if the pile grew!"-GWAR

Comment

• keyser28146
                        Honorary DSA

I actually like the concept so much I can forgive the replay... it seems like a controllable movie.
                        sigpic

Comment

• jmhc74
                          Honorary DSA
                          • Dec 2007

Heavy Rain does look very cool but there is no way I could have the attention span needed too sit thru and complete this game...I struggled with MGS4.
                          sigpic

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

• keyser28146
                            Honorary DSA

Jim, you have...

Nah. Too easy.

:)
                            sigpic

Comment

• jmhc74
                              Honorary DSA
                              • Dec 2007

@ Keyser...you by now should know me enough that although that game looks really cool, there is NO chance that I could ever complete that game.
                              sigpic

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎