• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheRealHanSolo
    Officer
    • Jun 2008
    • DSA Solo

Netflix View Instant Coming to PS3

Find in-depth gaming news and hands-on reviews of the latest video games, video consoles and accessories.
  • thedooku
    Honorary DSA
    • Sep 2008

Sad Canadian is Sad :(

"The way a man plays a game shows some of his character. The way he loses shows all of it"

Comment

• jmhc74
      Honorary DSA
      • Dec 2007

Maybe this is a stupid question.....can you stream a 1080p movie and is the quality the same as the actual blue-ray disk. I think so, but just wanted to verify that.
      sigpic

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

• bob-digi
        Civilian

Jim, you can but you have to have the bandwidth available to do so. And 1080p is the same quality as Blu-Ray.

But also (I already stream from netflix) keep in mind that They dont stream 1080p video from there. But if you are streaming BR Rips, yes it will be the same.
        Last edited by bob-digi; 10-26-2009, 08:11 AM.
        sigpicbob-digi

Comment

• norm
          Imperial Guard
          • Jun 2006
          • DSA norm

Q&A: VP Steve Swasey explains how video service works on the PS3; firmware update planned for 2010, will offer same options as PC and Xbox Live streaming.

So for the time being the PS3 will require you to load in a disc to access your Netflix Queue. Sometime next year they should have the firmware upgrade for you to use instead of a disc.

Comment

• keyser28146
            Honorary DSA

@Jim

Usually the bitrate stream on the playback stream of a Bluray is around 33Mbps. You can check the actual bitrate on any BD by hitting pressing select when playing in the PS3... look upper right. It will give you a running count of the bitrate coming off the disc... for comparison, a DVD is around 7 for a really well done HQ transfer.

Different programs and authoring tools give you lots of options to set bitrate when creating video, and if the video is created to stream (as opposed to created for a DVD or BD) then you may have a really good quality movie. For example: If you author a video for Vimeo, and then upload the same video to Youtube, it won't look as good on Youtube as one that you specifically encoded for youtube.

I'm pretty sure they don't get into any of this and pretty much compress the DVDs for Digital "as is", so I am not expecting anything really good for video quality. I'd say probably SLIGHTLY better than HULU quality as a guess.
            sigpic

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
              Officer
              • Jun 2008
              • DSA Solo

The HD streaming on the 360 is great. I have never had a problem with it.

Comment

• norm
                Imperial Guard
                • Jun 2006
                • DSA norm

It depends on which version of Netflix you watch. The HD movies or shows are actually nice quality for my 26" 1080p TV. Not too many artifacts or stuttering going on.

The only time I see a huge decrease in quality is if my connection is being taxed.

There's also the SD of shows and movies and they aren't bad, but they are the ones slightly better then Hulu.

Comment

• jmhc74
                  Honorary DSA
                  • Dec 2007

Sometimes I feel like an absolute retard when trying to read thru some of these posts.

Regarding Netfilx, I did have a membership with them and cancelled it last year. I would hope, in due time, that all movies will be available to stream and when that is the case I will renew my membership.
                  sigpic

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

• Hogezz
                    Honorary DSA
                    • Jan 2009

Sad Irishman is Sad :(
                    sigpic

Comment

• keyser28146
                      Honorary DSA

@Jim
                      It'll look fine.

@Norm.
                      You da man.

@Solo.
                      I can't reconcile the "coincidence" of you getting a PS3 and ONE FRIGGIN WEEK LATER they announce Netflix compatibility. So thank you Solo. I'm sure you had something to do with it... perhaps I've misjudged your connections.
                      sigpic

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
                        Officer
                        • Jun 2008
                        • DSA Solo

@Keyser
                        Wait did you almost just admit my awesomeness? Yea that totally happened, now I just need you to say the words. "Solo your AWESOME"

Comment

• keyser28146
                          Honorary DSA

Actually, if I were to say it, I'd say "Solo you're awesome", but the wrong usage of "your" buys me some wiggle room... right Norm?
                          sigpic

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
                            Officer
                            • Jun 2008
                            • DSA Solo

Yea I used the wrong one, sorry.

Comment

• norm
                              Imperial Guard
                              • Jun 2006
                              • DSA norm

What can you expect Keyser. Solo is from a small NC town. You of all people should know that the school system of those small towns suck:D

Speaking of which I applied for a job with the City of Salisbury. If you have any pull use it now!

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎