• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheRealHanSolo
    Officer
    • Jun 2008
    • DSA Solo

Munchers Calculus Quiz

I found Munchers quiz from his calculus class. Munch I think you need to go over your notes again.

• Muncher
    Lieutenant

I wish that helped, I'm try to integrate xln(x^2+1)/(x^2+1) at the moment and I have no idea.
    We are all gonna have to live in da woods some day, cause the government is gonna take our guns away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Rommel
      Civilian
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Muncher
      I wish that helped, I'm try to integrate xln(x^2+1)/(x^2+1) at the moment and I have no idea.
      I think it's 1/4 ln^2(x^2 + 1)...

You need help with the steps?

Comment

• Muncher
        Lieutenant

yes meet me in the shoutbox chat.
        We are all gonna have to live in da woods some day, cause the government is gonna take our guns away.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Rommel
          Civilian
          • Jul 2009

What are you studying, Muncher?

I got a D+ on Calculus II when I took it, but I re-learned it on my own since I needed the knowledge for my Computer Science classes. I'm pretty sure my answer is correct though. That's an easy Integral. Wait till you get to the hard stuff...

Comment

• Rommel
            Civilian
            • Jul 2009

yes meet me in the shoutbox chat.
            Actually no, cuz I'm supposed to be studying for two Midterms right now. I'll just post the steps here since I already wrote them down in a piece of paper.

Comment

• Muncher
              Lieutenant

I have a solid B right now in calc I. Thank you sir.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Rommel
                Civilian
                • Jul 2009

The Integral of ∫ xln(x^2+1)/(x^2+1) dx:

Substitute: x^2 = u and 2xdx = du

You get: ∫ ln(u+1)/(2u+2) du

Substitute: ln(u+1) = s and 1/u+1 du= ds

You get: 1/2 ∫ s ds

Look in your integral table: The integral of s = s^2/2

You get: 1/2 * s^2/2 = s^2/4

Substitute for s: ln^2(u+1) / 4

Substitute for u: ln^2(x^2 + 1)/4

Simplify: 1/4 ln^2(x^2 + 1)

You're done! DSA nerding it up!

Comment

• Rommel
                  Civilian
                  • Jul 2009

I have a solid B right now in calc I. Thank you sir.
                  I got an A+ on Calc I, but I was just too distracted during Calc II to study. Anyways, what did you say you were studying? Whatever it is, good luck with it (But if you're studying C.S. maybe we can do some projects together).

Comment

• Muncher
                    Lieutenant

Actually, while you were typing I found an easier way.

Sub u for ln(x^2+1), du(X^2+1)/2=xdx

you get int (x^2+1)u/2(x^2+1)*du

=1/2 int u
                    =u^2/4
                    =1/4 ln^2(x^2+1)

I was trying to do integration by parts, silly me. Thank you for the help though, your answer got me on the right track.

I'm majoring in chemistry
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Zabka
                      Imperial Guard
                      • Nov 2004
                      • DSA Zabka

Crap. I completely forgot my calculus. I took multivariable and linear algebra in an advanced application class--aimed at physics or economics majors. I did calc 1 in hs and calc 2 first semester of 1st year. Then I multivariable calculus and linear algebra in soph year. When I went to b school, I had to pass a math test where I had to do basic calc 1 and had already forgotten integrals. Now, over a decade later, I have forgotten it all again. Kind of makes me want to do some problems again to reteach myself. But I have no application for it in my career. Still, it seems a waste to have forgotten it all. Come to think of it, I forgot most my chemistry too...
                      You're the best! Around! Nothings gonna ever keep you down!

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

• Deslock
                        Darth Beratter

That's because you didn't need it. Hell, you might've well shown me ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics. Unless you are going for a field of science or math, this shit is totally worthless in real life.

I was a professional commercial artist. I had my own business on Music Row in Nashville, and did quite well. So I thought a degree in my field might help me. So I signed up for a "professional" degree, and went back to college.

And I was horrified.

None of the classes I took had any bearing on real life. I knew this because I was already in the "business".

Designing Christmas wrapping paper..?

Using potato's as printing presses..?

No shit...

My so called "teachers" were worthless. And I did call them out on it.

"What about when a client wants last minute changes before the art goes to press?"

"What about when you do the work, on time, and they refuse to pay, due to last minute changes that's there is no way in Hell you could get it done in time?"

When you do get into your chosen field, you'll be suprised at how much meaningless bullshit you learned, that has absolutely NO bearing in real life.

Just watch Rodney Dangerfield in "Back to School".

sigpic

Comment

• FunkyFaulc
                          Civilian
                          • Mar 2009

Muncher, Muncher, Muncher.... you beter be going into Pharmacy with that Chemistry degree or you'll be making plastics and Mr. Clean your entire life.

Just Teasing ... from your favorite Bio Major/Chem Minor (me)

"Are you questioning my Bad-Assness? Have you seen my guns?"

Comment

• Zabka
                            Imperial Guard
                            • Nov 2004
                            • DSA Zabka

Actually, you can go for some sort of medical degree, work in the pharmaceutical/animal health industry, or in some industrial materials companies as well. That's only if you want to work directly in your field. There are plenty of careers that look favorably on training that is quantitatively rigorous and requires methodical thinking and critical reasoning.

And Des, there are plenty of fields where education can have a meaningful impact-I don't want a self taught doctor for example. However, your point that real world experience means the most is always going to be true. But the issues you raised seem to be best handled through proper legal advice (payment) or customer management (unteachable in a classroom). What is as important to understand in getting an education is setting appropriate expectations on outcomes as well as the small part it plays. In some cases a degree is signalling, nothing more. In others, you get some basics on which to learn quIckly in the real world. In some there are technical skills. Alas, in others there may be no benefit. In your case, the benefit of that class was probably to the inexperienced. For you, if your technical skills were advanced, than a basic class would provide no benefit. But maybe ancillary classes that related to your business, but not your specific class would have helped. Or it could simply gave been that what you needed, you had to learn on the job. Much of what I do, I learned from experience. But my education provided me with tools to help when I started. Plenty of people do it without--which is certainly doable abd preferred, but I feel like education provides me with different opportunities beyond a narrow skillset from the job should my career path go in a different direction. So I am not nearly as dismissive of it's value. Then again, if I went to bschool after starting in this industry it would have been a waste of time if i wanted to stay in the field-just like you experienced. Personally, I like having the options though. .
                            You're the best! Around! Nothings gonna ever keep you down!

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

• Capthemfoos
                              Honorary DSA

WTF, I forgot all my Calc, thank god. Lol. I just hoofed it out and went for a B. That stuff is bananas and almost useless unless you are going into Physics, Electrical Engineering, or maybe economics(I have no idea on this one).

"The world will look up and shout 'Save us!!!', and I will whisper 'No.'". -Rorschach, Watchmen

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎