some friendly assistance would be much obliged!

Collapse

Ad

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thatguy
    Civilian

some friendly assistance would be much obliged!

So basically i have this 5 page paper due in government monday. We had to pick a topic to do a position paper on. At first i picked gun control than changed my mind and went to minimum wage than finally just settled on doing liberalism all together. So i figured I'd hop on hear and give a shout out to some of my fellow conservative DSA members and ask for a little help and advice. Basically i'm covering everything the guys on the left stand for. From the economic views to the social issues. I was wondering if i could get a quick synopsis of all of it from someone. Or a site that i could get all the info from. Any help would be much appreciated!
  • TheRealHanSolo
    Officer
    • Jun 2008
    • DSA Solo

All I can say Jake is make sure, and I know you are conservative, that you do this not as a piece to slam liberalism but do it as a piece to educate others. Try and be as unbiased as you can be. Which means looking at sources that are not biased to one side. Economics wise look at Keynesian economics ([ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keynesian_economics[/ame]). You are a smart kid and I would love to read the paper once you get it to help ya out so hit me up.

Comment

• Zabka
      Imperial Guard
      • Nov 2004
      • DSA Zabka

Liberalism, or progressive politics, has taken several forms over time. It also can't be covered in five pages. Think about the different topics possible: abortion, affirmative action, income tax, education, gun control, healthcare,etc. To try to paint anything in one broad brush stroke requires faulty assumptions. Each issue has multiple permutations that can't be fairly discussed in brief snippets. Narrow your topic. Focus on your view an the opposing view. Focus on the relative merits of each argument. Make a cogent case. Anything less is intellectual drivel.
      You're the best! Around! Nothings gonna ever keep you down!

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

• keyser28146
        Honorary DSA

Agreed with Zabka.

You have to pick a certain issue and then the merits of that particular issue. Liberalism has changed wildly from what it represented years ago.

Solo mentioned a great topic: Keynesian economics vs Austrian economic theory. A good comparison between the Left and Right in the US present day can be seen here. For the Keynes side, research John Maynard Keynes, and what his theories were about, and the role of government in them, then research Ludwig von Mises and a slew of the Austrian school. Mises is a great place to start in Austrian economics...

Stay off of issues like abortion, gun control, etc. unless you really want to piss off your instructor. Remember, there is a pretty good chance he is a liberal. Make a compelling argument, personal attacks have no place in government except to people who have no argument to make. Like everyone in the last few elections...
        sigpic

Comment

• Thatguy
          Civilian

Haha no no my teacher is noooooooo where near liberal. that man is as conservative as conservative gets. Idk if you know this but i go to a christian school so. That was kinda the point was to cover some of the major topics of the current liberal view. normally i enjoy poking fun but i told my self i'm going to do my best to present this in a way of "this is what they believe, this is what i believe and this is why i believe that side is wrong on this issue." And yes i'm going to try doing it in a non attacking way. So other people are covering some stuff more in depth (like abortion,gun control, media influence etc) i wanted to do something interesting to me which was present the other side of the aisle and try to refute it. cause its supposed to be a position paper so. and i get 2 days to do it lol. 2 of the days i work till 10 and the other im goin to a friends house so wish me luck hahaha!

Comment

Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎