X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dRiX
    Civilian
    • Jul 2006

US History help...

Seeing how everyone on this site is pretty smart. I need help figuring out a topic to write about Yellow Journalism on. It has to be about recent examples about US imperialism. One of my friends is doing it on Nuclear Weapons, another one is doing it on something about oil. I was going to do the one about the US having troops in over 150 countries or so but, I didnt know how to approach it. So help on picking a topic would be much appreciated.

Shorter words.
    Yellow Journalism - US Imperialism - How to approach it.
    sigpic
    Now playing: Resistance 2
  • bob-digi
    Civilian

Personally I would use the example of US Imperialism vs the Vietnam War. That should give you good equations for both sides. Of course this depends on how "recent" really needs to be.

Otherwise I would go with something like this... hear me out, you may be able to make an individual paper out fo this if you can pull this out. Use the fact that when our Stock markets failed what 2 years ago now....that it almost brought down other markets as well.

1. How far imbedded are we that when our market crashes we can take others with it?
    2. How much of the global economy do we actual "control"... and thats where you'll find your imperialism

Hope this helps... or at least on subject
    Last edited by bob-digi; 12-11-2009, 03:53 PM.
    sigpicbob-digi

Comment

• cmj75
      • Oct 2008

I am little unclear what the assignment is about though..critiquing yellow journalism related to U.S. imperialism..or writing in the style of yellow journalism about U.S. imperialism...what class is this for....give me the paramaters and I can really help you with this

can you please post the exact assignment as given by your prof in a pm and I will certainly help you!

Comment

• RaTix
        Emperor

How about Global Warming and the whole ClimateGate scandal.

When first reports of global warming came out, all the MSM (main stream media) jumped on the bandwagon and reported on the seriousness of it. They even helped by ridiculing those that dared to challenge the legitimacy of the initial reports and data.

Scientists who usually work in universities with federal funding, wanted to make it as true and scary as possible so legislation would be pushed through congress to increase funding. It also serves to pass laws and regulations that would help certain "special Interests" (fucking Gore) of those who contribute to the political parties. And how NASA, a government agency, refused to release it's data on global warming as they didn't want anyone challenging their views. Which is completely the opposite of what true scientific discovery is about. There has to be peer review of the data and findings to make sure it is legit and accurate.

Also how the US may plan to use Global Warming to persuade other countries to follow suit. And as we do with everything else in foreign affairs, if they don't comply we sanction, bomb or invade them.

You can also add in how the EPA (A Federal Agency) made the statement that if congress doesn't act, that they will enact their own regulations, essentially circumventing the democratic process all together. If that doesn't scream imperialist rule, I don't know what does.

If you want to stay with the financial crisis topic, I would look into how the Federal Reserve was praised in the media for saving the day, but ignored on how they were the main cause of the easy credit that caused the bubble in the first place.
        You can also talk about how congress, and the American people, are not allowed to see how "OUR" money is being spent and managed in the fed. And only after an outcry of the American people, is there serious talk in the news about an Audit of the Fed and it's role in helping to create the bubble.

In which case, go read the Campaign for Liberty thread to get some good starting points.
        Last edited by RaTix; 12-11-2009, 04:41 PM.
        "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
        ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• dRiX
          Civilian
          • Jul 2006

O.k. Thanks for the ideas so far. Here is the exact assignment.

1. With 3-4 other students you will make a yellow journalism paper.
          2. Your newspaper will be based on the concept of yellow journalism, which is the exaggeration of a story in order to get sales.
          3.Your newspaper must include:
          - Title
          - At least 300 words(no limit) per article.
          - At least 3 articles surrounding US Spanish-American War(DONE)
          - At least 3 articles about Current US imperialism and/or Wartime News(Current as in today)
          - Must be Typed
          - At least one photo/Image to accompany each article.
          - Final project must look like a actual newspaper.
          sigpic

Comment

• fitzgerald7
            Honorary DSA
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by dRiX
            Seeing how everyone on this site is pretty smart. I need help figuring out a topic to write about Yellow Journalism on. It has to be about recent examples about US imperialism. One of my friends is doing it on Nuclear Weapons, another one is doing it on something about oil. I was going to do the one about the US having troops in over 150 countries or so but, I didnt know how to approach it. So help on picking a topic would be much appreciated.

Shorter words.
            Yellow Journalism - US Imperialism - How to approach it.
            What a topic be how can the usa protect its homeland with so many troops in other countries?
            sigpic
            :burnin: I HAVE AVENGED YOU:burnin:
            :burnin:CLAYMORE + FITZ= SCARY:burnin:

Comment

• cmj75
              • Oct 2008

thanks for the further clarification...I was pretty sure it would be about connecting Spanish American war with current U.S. imperialism since that is an area in which "yellow journalism" is most noted.

Based upon the assignment your prof is looking for the following:
              1. showing an understanding of yellow journalism
              2. an analysis/interpretation of imperialism
              3. an ability to connect historical events with modern developments

So if I were doing it I would base my three articles on the following topics:
              1. American Exceptionalism
              2. Dependancy theory
              3. Low Intensity conflicts

All three can be written about in a yellow journalistic manner, all relate to imperalism, all connect to the history of U.S. relations around the world specifically that of Latin America.

You didn't state whether you have to be taking a pro-U.S. or anti-U.S. position so these topics can be looked at from either perspective.

There are plenty of sources out there and simply googling or starting with Wikipedia is good. A lot of my colleagues knock wikipedia and I disagree since it is a great startign point for preliminary reasearch and also has external links to good sites (at any rate the oversight on wikipedia is better then published encyclopedias and other sources..even many books).

Since you need legit resources I would reccomend that you go to the National Security Archives, click under documents and look at the collection on Latin America...tons of stuff and these are very reputable sources. Another quick way to research at home is to look through amazon...their search engines are typically better then most universities so I always tell my students to word search through amazon to get the titles of books and/or authors. Scholars specialize so if you (like most students) aren't familiar with the scholars for that topic you will "spin your wheels" in the library...library search engines work best if you know the author or title..search the topic on amazon...look over the books/names..if an author comes up with several books on the topic and they are printed by notable publishers (especially a university press) you have found your scholar...then search your school library for that scholar's works (also amazon usually has a brief on that book and you can gleen good insight from just that brief alone!!)..those scholars will also have articles out there...

This is getting long so I will end my suggestions for now but if you have any further questions just post and I will reply.

Making a poster through word is easy especially if you use smart art stuff...

Comment

• mrpappy2u
                Civilian
                • Feb 2009

Your newspaper will be based on the concept of yellow journalism, which is the exaggeration of a story in order to get sales.
                According to his statement you could write about almost anything from any source.
                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
                of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved
                body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly
                used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:
                "WOW...What a ride!"

Comment

• dRiX
                  Civilian
                  • Jul 2006

Cmj I decided to use Low Intensity Conflict since it seems perfect but I can't really find any good recent examples besides Vietnam but that seems a little too far back. Do you know any that are really recent that I can search up?
                  sigpic

Comment

• dRiX
                    Civilian
                    • Jul 2006

Never-mind, I found some pretty good things on Dependency theory just by googling a little better. Thanks I already typed my article for the newspaper.
                    sigpic

Comment

• cmj75
                      • Oct 2008

for more modern low intensity: somalia, Iraq (post "war"), Afghanistan, Granada, Nicaragua, etc.

dependency theory is perfect for connecting to spanish american war and there is tons out there about U.S. economic relations to Latin America and debates over foreign aid and imperialism

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎