X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thedooku
    Honorary DSA
    • Sep 2008

New Router?

Had some trouble with my ISP last week and lost internet connectivity for several hours. When it came back, I was no longer able to go through my wireless router (Linksys wrt54gc) whether trying wired or wireless. If I plug the network cable coming out of my cable modem directly into my computer/PS3 I have no problems with internet connection.

I called my ISP to confirm the problem on their end was resolved and ask about my predicament. The operator recommended the standard unplug and/or reset of my modem and router, as well as re-installing the firmware for the router. I tried the unplug several times, used the reset button on the bottom a couple times, and I "think" I re-installed the firmware (I did confirm the version installed is the most recent available).

I've pretty much lost my patience with this router, and I'm assuming it's died/fried. It's about 4 years old, so I don't mind replacing/upgrading. I've been looking at this router (Dlink Xtreme) and have a couple general questions about what to expect if I upgrade.

Do you think I will see any speed improvement on my wired connections?
    I don't really know the history of wireless signal technology, is N really that much better than G?
    If I have a computer with an older wireless card (WEP is the highest encryption it can do), can I expect any improvement in speed? Or would I only see an improvement if my device has a wireless card capable of N?

I'm ready to drop a little cash if I can expect an improvement and avoid the hassle with the old router. If I won't see an improvement, and/or could easily fix up my old router, then I could save some money. Just looking for some advice from the tech gurus :)

"The way a man plays a game shows some of his character. The way he loses shows all of it"
  • drg0012
    Civilian
    • Dec 2009

I recently had to buy a new router, but before I did I spoke with Sony reps about which ports to open, etc, etc. when I thought that was the issue. Anyway, the guy told me that N isn't as compatible with the PS3 as the G is. I can't confirm or deny this, just passing along what he told me.
    sigpic

Comment

• norm
      Imperial Guard
      • Jun 2006
      • DSA norm

so explain your network to me

Does it go Wall -> Modem -> Wireless Router?

Comment

• thedooku
        Honorary DSA
        • Sep 2008

wall to modem, modem to router, wireless router wired to PS3 and wireless to 2 laptops.

I checked and re-entered my WEP keys for the laptops, both can detect the network but say it is unavailable. The PS3 recognizes that a network cable is plugged in, but can't achieve any connection to the internet. As I said, that is all when trying to use the router (which worked just fine last week).

If I go wall > modem > ps3/computer I have no connection problems at all.

"The way a man plays a game shows some of his character. The way he loses shows all of it"

Comment

• RaTix
          Emperor

What is your ISP? DSL, Cable, ??

What is the make/model of the old router.

Was the modem changed at all when you had issues with your ISP?

If you hardwire the PC to the modem, whats the IP/DNS/Default Gateway (Start->Run-> type "CMD" (no quotes)-> In command window type "IPCONFIG" (again, no quotes)

As for the other questions, your connection will only be as good as the weakest device in the chain. The Dlink Extreme has a Gigabit ethernet, so anything hardwired with a Gigabit adapter (I think the PS3 does have gigabit) will improve performance. Unless your old router was also Gigabit, then it's the same.

For the wireless, if the laptop can only do G, then that's the speed it will use. The further in the alphabet you go, the better the wireless. Usually better in both speed and range.

G = 54Mbps (Which translate to ~6.75MBps on downloads)
          N = 100+Mbps (~12.5MBps)

Mb = MegaBITS
          MB = MegaBYTES

There are 8 bits to a Byte.
          "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
          ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• thedooku
            Honorary DSA
            • Sep 2008

What is your ISP? DSL, Cable, ??

Cable (RCA DCM425 modem)

What is the make/model of the old router.

Linksys WRT54GC

Was the modem changed at all when you had issues with your ISP?

I didn't make any configuration changes to the modem or router. While experimenting and waiting for my connection to be restored, I found wiring the modem directly to my device allowed me to connect.

If you hardwire the PC to the modem, whats the IP/DNS/Default Gateway (Start->Run-> type "CMD" (no quotes)-> In command window type "IPCONFIG" (again, no quotes)

I'll have to try this when I get home from work.

Comment

• norm
              Imperial Guard
              • Jun 2006
              • DSA norm

Just throwing this out there, but did you check to make sure your wireless was broadcasting? Also that the WEP settings were all the same?

When you reset your router you have to go through and reset up everything. You have to make sure you're using the correct MAC address, the correct router IP Address, the correct WEP, and on and on.

Also can you access your router through your computer? Either wired or wireless?

Just also curious, your modem from your ISP, does it serve as a router too or is it just a plain old modem? If it also serves as a router, you may have a double NAT issue.

If you have everything set up right and you can access your router through your computer wired, but not wireless make sure you check your Laptops and delete the old keys and network detected from there and give it a try.

I use a Linksys router and when I got rid of the Linksys firmware and went to a third party firmware. I had to reset everything up and for my 360 I completely forgot to change to the new Router IP address and hit myself in the head after I realized what I forgot to do..lol I think for my wife's laptop I cleared out it's memory of the old wireless network and let it re-detect it.

I hope this helps. I'm pretty sure it's something as simple as an option being turned off or something just not set up right and the PS3 and laptops are confused.

As far as going from G to N. If your laptops and PS3 are using N, than yes you would see a benefit. If they aren't than you won't. Since N is the new standard it's always good to get to future proof yourself.

Comment

• thedooku
                Honorary DSA
                • Sep 2008

The modem from my ISP is just a plain modem, as far as I can tell. Only one ethernet out and no wireless.

I am able to connect to my router when wired from my laptop directly to the router. I checked over the settings (to the best of my abilities) and didn't see any glaring problems. I did confirm my WEP settings and keys matched, but need to double check the other addresses match.

The part that confuses me is that I can't get a wired connection to work through the router. If I can connect with the modem, why doesn't the router just act like a pass-through for the wire?

I didn't do anything to the router until well after my connection was working again and I had tried numerous times to connect, both wired and wireless. Whatever temporary ISP problem I had, seems to have changed/messed up something in my router....is that normal?

Comment

• RaTix
                  Emperor

Let's try this for shits and giggles.

Power down everything. Modem, router, PC, etc..

Make sure the Modem is plugging into the WAN port of the router. (single port by itself). Make sure PC is plugged into one of the 4 ports that are grouped. I suggest hardwiring the PC to the router for testing purposes as Wireless adds another layer of variables in the equation.

Turn the modem on, wait for all the lights to be solid or whatever the norm is for when it's fully connected.

Then power on the router, and again wait for all the lights to come on.

Then power on your PC and do the following.
                  Start->Run-> type "CMD" (no quotes)-> In command window type "IPCONFIG" (again, no quotes)

If this turns up an IP Address (may say IPv4, NOT v6) that's 169.254.xxx.xxx, It's not detecting the network connection to the router at all. If it's 192.168.xxx.xxx, we're in good shape.

Open IE/FF and connect to the router (should be 192.168.1.1). The router's address is whatever the default Gateway in IPCONFIG is. Or should be.

The main settings page should look like the first image I attached.

If so, check the STATUS page (Second Image Attachment). If the router is connecting properly to the modem, it should have an IP, DNS and Gateway listed there. If not try to use the DHCP Release, then DHCP Renew on that page. See if it brings anything up.

If not, I would try the simplest of things first. change the Ethernet cable going from the Modem to the router. YES these cables CAN GO BAD. If the cable was ever dragged on a carpet while plugged in, it could short out.

Let me know how that goes and we'll take ti from there.
                  Attached Files
                  "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
                  ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• thedooku
                    Honorary DSA
                    • Sep 2008

Sweet, should be home in an hour to give that a try! I'll let you know what I find. Thanks a bunch :)

Comment

• thedooku
                      Honorary DSA
                      • Sep 2008

No luck. Followed your instructions to the "ipconfig" part. It returns me an IP address and subnet mask 0.0.0.0. The DNS suffix and Default Gateway are blank. If I wire the laptop directly to the modem and perform the test I get an IP address 72.39.xxx.xx and the other fields have their appropriate data.

When I open FF and search for 192.168.1.1 it can't find anything. It just searches and searches then says Unable to Connect. I also just tried plugging the laptop into the router (port 1, not WAN) with the router powered up, but not connected to the modem.....same result, Unable to Connect.

I was able to access the Linksys setup before, have tried with 2 different ethernet cables today and can't get anything to happen, I can't even connect to it anymore? Is it safe to assume my router has kicked the bucket?

Comment

• thedooku
                        Honorary DSA
                        • Sep 2008

Okay, show of hands.....who thinks I should get a new router? :p

Comment

• EagleOne
                          Honorary DSA

Go for it

Comment

• RegentOne
                            Imperial Advisor

From the details you have provided along with the negatiive troubleshooting efforts, I would agree with you on purchasing a new router.
                            "Do on to others before they do on to you.”
                            {DSA} RegentOne

sigpic

Comment

• norm
                              Imperial Guard
                              • Jun 2006
                              • DSA norm

That's odd. Maybe the router is bricked. Only thing let to try is a hard reset. Hold in the reset button for half a minute and power it off and turn it back on. See if you can access it through the browser then. If not have fun getting a new router. ;)

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎