X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dioxin
    Honorary DSA

xbox nat type moderate

Hey everyone,

I'm having a hell of a time troubleshooting my network connection on xbox. I've spent hours trying to get it out of moderate and into open nat type with no luck. I have been able to play one or two games of COD: Black Ops and that's it. Otherwise I can't hear people talk and I get booted from every game. I'm really getting frustrated and don't even want to play xbox right now...

I've tried forwarding 88 and 3074. I've even tried other ones I've found on the net. My UPnP has always been enabled.

I've tried disabling port forward and just enabling DMZ for my assigned xbox IP.

I've also tried reserving the IP address as a static dns.

I don't know what else to do. I've never had connection issues before this. I also believe my xbox used to be in open mode, but I have never gone through all this port forwarding stuff before... Any suggestions are welcome.
    "F--k Ron Paul!" -Gino in the heat of a losing battle; COD4; Crash.
  • norm
    Imperial Guard
    • Jun 2006
    • DSA norm

okay a couple of quick things

how are you connecting your 360 to the internet? Wired or Wireless?

What router are you using? (name, model and version)

Comment

• Dioxin
      Honorary DSA

I just realized that it was open with my old linksys router that fried.

Ok. I'm using linksys E1000. updated to the newest firmware. XBOX is hooked up wired.

Just a note, I read that for new linksys routers, you need to go into security and check a box that says "FILTER NAT REDIRECT" in order to obtain open NAT. I checked this box and it didn't make any difference.

My brain is fried for the night and I've reached my frustration level after like 2 hours. So, I'm going to pick up again tomorrow. Any suggestions are welcome.

Comment

• Dioxin
        Honorary DSA

Another note, in the router settings, there's a box that says SPI Firewall Protection. Should I flip that to disabled to get open NAT?

Comment

• norm
          Imperial Guard
          • Jun 2006
          • DSA norm

I would disable the SPI Firewall. That sounds like it could be the biggest issue.

Comment

• Dioxin
            Honorary DSA

For the record, I never meant to insinuate that Ratix screwed up my connection, xbox or network. In fact, he took a lot of time out of his day to try to set up port forwarding. Without watching him do it on my computer, I wouldn't have known how to screw with the ports at all.

I've been tired as hell lately and what ever I said probably came out different than I intended. Any of my frustration has been due to the router not cooperating and nothing else. I'm really sorry if I came across any other way.

Comment

• Dioxin
              Honorary DSA

Fixed.

Important note for LINKSYS users. Especially those with the E1000. Port forwarding and UPnP are not compatable. The linksys E1000 default is ENABLED for UPnP. Disable UPnP before you make any changes to port forwarding or DMZ. Full DMZ wasn't necessary as long as UPnP was disabled first. This goes against the XBOX support suggestion of needing UPnP by the way.

Other changes to help: MTU set to 1350 and I read you need to click the "FILTER NAT REDIRECT" under security I think. I didn't undo these last two things so they are still at 1350 MTU and the NAT button is checked. SPI firewall is still enabled.

Comment

• norm
                Imperial Guard
                • Jun 2006
                • DSA norm

Good deal man.

For my router, an older model Linksys, I have the MTU set to 1492. I have UPnP enabled and let the UPnP handle opening the ports. I tried it with setting the ports forward manually while using UPnP and it helped with CnC, but not with the 360. So I changed my firmware to Tomato and that solved the CnC and 360 issues. I know for mine the firewall was disabled.

I think the Linksys firewall will screw with NAT and disabling it is always a good thing..lol

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎