X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cmj75
    • Oct 2008

Laptop problem-help

Alright tech geeks

DVD/cd read/write on my laptop won't work...
    Doesnt even come up on "my computer" as a drive
    Can eject manually by sticking paperclip in and when I put a disc in it lights up for a few seconds and that's it
    It is a toshiba satellite laptop

Tried to figure it out but can't find anything on it on the computer
  • drg0012
    Civilian
    • Dec 2009

Have you tried re-installing the drivers? You can get them from Toshiba's website

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Comment

• cmj75
      • Oct 2008

I tried system restore which didn't work
      I tried to reinstall drivers on the computer but it wouldn't even recognize the existance of the hardware

I will try through website

Comment

• Cottoinc
        Imperial Advisor
        • Dec 2009
        • DSA Cotto

You could of burned out the cd-rom. If you feel adventures you could try taking it apart and checking the cables. Or you could just get a external usb cdrom to replace it.
        "Thrawn: "Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake, Ensign?"
        Colclazure: "No, sir."
        Thrawn: "Anyone can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." [points at Pietersen, Rukh kills him] "Dispose of it. The error, Ensign, has now been corrected. You may begin training a replacement."
        ―Grand Admiral Thrawn, punishing a naval officer for failure

Comment

• Deslock
          Darth Beratter

Same thing happened to me. I went thru Hell trying to figure it out. Went to microsoft support and ran the diagnostic tool, it found the problem, and re-installed the current divers thu there. Had it up and running again in minutes.:

Describes Microsoft easy fix solutions and how to use them. "Microsoft easy fix" was formerly known as "Microsoft Fix it."

Just run the tool right there on the right on the green box.

Hope that helps !

sigpic

Comment

• norm
            Imperial Guard
            • Jun 2006
            • DSA norm

Also just because I am curious. Have you just tried a plain movie DVD to see if it plays?

If not does your drive show up in the device manager? If you are running XP type this into the run box devmgmt.msc That should bring up the device manager. If you are using Vista or Win 7 type devmgmt.msc into the search bar. Both the Run and Search bars can be found when you hit the start button on your keyboard or the start icon in the lower left hand corner of your screen.

Once your device manager comes up look to for your DVD/CD drive, expand the "tree" so you can see the actual drive like this photo

Once you do that is there a red X by the actual drive or not? Right click on the actual drive and bring up a sub menu. In that sub menu left click on properties. Your first tab will tell you the device status so you can see if it is working right. Then you can go to driver and see if you have the most up to date driver. Look at your driver date and compare it to the driver date on Toshiba's site. I would only update the driver from Toshiba's site and not from this window. It's a lot easier to do from Toshiba's site. If you do update it make sure you uninstall the driver first. You can do that through this window if you want to.

To be honest there's a couple of things it could be. The batch of CDs you are burning are crap and they are the reason your drive isn't working. You drive could be turned off or the driver could be bad. Last is that your drive could be shot.

That's why you should test it with a DVD or something else not burned that you know will work. If it works then it's your batch of CD-R/RWs. If a regular disc doesn't work check the device manager and see. I would wager if it was working fine last week and not this week it's probably a bad drive. Unless you installed software or had a virus you removed and that messed up with your driver for the drive.

Comment

• jakewill
              Honorary DSA
              • Sep 2009

if its more than two years old just buy a new one that tends to keep crap from happening to your pc that you dont want
              sigpic

Comment

• cmj75
                • Oct 2008

Thanks guys
                Did both what DES and norm said
                It isn't even on there as a device
                Only thing I can think of is a fuse is blown on the drive itself
                There is no DVD/cd even listed anywhere on the computer
                What's weird is we rarely us it the only reason I was using it yesterday was to load up a driver for a device for my daughter
                I just dont understand what happened to it why it won't even list as a device on there
                Tried several diagnostics and nothing it is if it was physically removed from my laptop

Comment

• Deslock
                  Darth Beratter

Well then, I hate to say it; but it seems your drive is dead.

I tried putting in a few different kinds of discs, and when the warning popped up, I knew I had a problem. Checked my device manager, and saw a big yellow exclamation point by my drive. And it flat out told me my drivers were ruined, and couldn't be repaired.

If your drive isn't even showing up at all...That's not a good sign.

I'm so sorry that we couldn't help. :(

sigpic

Comment

• cmj75
                    • Oct 2008

Thanks though I appreciate the help and always know I can come to you guys for this stuff
                    I just dont understand why it happened...really weird ...just up and died on it's own..maybe it's a Tron thing or mandy's UFO...lol

We have to keep this laptop for awhile now so hopefully nit having the player won't b a problem...just bought a new power cord and battery for the laptop a couple weeks ago and cost like 240 so not trashing it now

Comment

• APAT
                      Honorary DSA
                      • Mar 2010

Why didn't you get the battery and charger from me dude? Could've saved you big bucks

"Don't mistake uniqueness for weakness" - The Grouch
                      "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• RegentOne
                        Imperial Advisor

Is the CD/DVD player the removal type? If so, try removing then replacing again. Sometimes the divice loses connection to the pins from movement. If not removable and you can access the CD/DVD player, check for proper connections.
                        "Do on to others before they do on to you.”
                        {DSA} RegentOne

sigpic

Comment

• cmj75
                          • Oct 2008

@ apat...didn't know I could or I would have

@ regent..it is built in and not removable

Comment

• jakewill
                            Honorary DSA
                            • Sep 2009

just buy a new one and then in 2 years break it and buy a new one again
                            sigpic

Comment

• Taco_assassin
                              Honorary DSA
                              • Mar 2006
                              • DSA TacO

Jake, most of the time you'll see screws holding the drive in place if you look on the bottom of the laptop. If you go to the manufacturer's website and do alittle research you should be able to find out what kind they have in there and replace it fairly cheap. They might also have a diagram of your laptop in the help/support area to help with locating things.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎