X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MajinTony
    Honorary DSA
    • Aug 2005

Lapper won't turn off

IDK what my sister did, DL'd some stupid game trial, and now this lapper I'm on will not turn off. I go to the windows icon on the taskbbar and select shutdown and nothing happpens. I hold down the power button above the keyboard and nothing. The only thing it responds to is hibernating. Any ideas of where I should start? I only know how to get online, I can't troubleshoot these things. Any help would be appreciated.:(

"Beefcake the Mighty, clotted with spew. His sword falls, skulls burst in two. The eyes burst from sockets, he is not through. Thousands of warriors he does this to. Piling the corpses of those that he slew. Untill it was hard to tell if the pile grew!"-GWAR
  • EagleOne
    Honorary DSA

Hold the power button for about 10 seconds it should turn off.

Comment

• Hogezz
      Honorary DSA
      • Jan 2009

Failing that, take out the plug and remove the battery....
      sigpic

Comment

• MajinTony
        Honorary DSA
        • Aug 2005

@Eagle
        Doesn't work.

@Hogezz
        Will that solve the problem?

"Beefcake the Mighty, clotted with spew. His sword falls, skulls burst in two. The eyes burst from sockets, he is not through. Thousands of warriors he does this to. Piling the corpses of those that he slew. Untill it was hard to tell if the pile grew!"-GWAR

Comment

• darth_cedaus
          Civilian
          • Nov 2010

if you can start from windows yes. put it in safe mode.

Comment

• RaTix
            Emperor

Start -> Run -> Type "shutdown /f", hit enter or click OK.

That should force it to close any apps and shutdown.

You can also open the task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC), and go to the Processes Tab. See if any process besides the System Idle process is using 99% CPU. that would be the culprit then.
            If not, you can click the USER NAME column header to sort by USER NAME. Then Right Click and choose End Process on any process that is running under the User account name. (ie. Owner, JohnDoe, etc.. ).
            DO NOT end the processes listed under System, Service, Network, etc.. user name.

Keep ending them until things seem to shutdown on it's own. A process (aka program) might be hanging up the system and stopping the shutdown command.

After you shut it down, restart and try to shutdown again once it fully loads. If same problem, go into Start -> Control Panel -> Add/remove Programs (or Programs and Features for Vista/7), and you can sort by date installed. Uninstall anything she installed.
            If Uninstalling fails through Control Panel, you can download and use RevoUninstaller.

A Scan with Malwarebytes couldn't hurt either. In case she downloaded some spyware by mistake.
            "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
            ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• MajinTony
              Honorary DSA
              • Aug 2005

I didn't have a RUN option out of the start menu (am dumb can't read) and CTRL+SHIFT+ESC didn't work. I was able to unistall all the games and that seemed to do the trick. It shuts off and now I can bring up those command menus. So it appeared to be the installed games.

Thanks for the help Ratix!!

Comment

Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎