X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • APAT
    Honorary DSA
    • Mar 2010

New Router now 45mbs.... HUH?

So I was having issues with my wireless router and thought I fixed it with a new, non kinked, Ethernet cable. Yeah, that didn't fix it after all. So I got a new router. After getting it all hooked up I'm getting 45mbs download speed off a Comcast connection that I was getting 13mbs before. I think I pay for 10mb down and 1.5 up. Is it possible the old one was restricting my speed?

OLD Router: Netgear WNR2000

NEW Router: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YLAUU8"]TP Link TL-WR1043ND Ultimate Wireless N[/ame]

I wonder if I inadvertently changed my IP and am somehow getting an unbridled connection now. I'm still using the same modem and didn't change any settings with that. Anyways, I thought it was weird and wonder if anyone else has experienced this before.

"Don't mistake uniqueness for weakness" - The Grouch
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin
  • Cottoinc
    Imperial Advisor
    • Dec 2009
    • DSA Cotto

What speed does speedtest.net report?
    "Thrawn: "Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake, Ensign?"
    Colclazure: "No, sir."
    Thrawn: "Anyone can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." [points at Pietersen, Rukh kills him] "Dispose of it. The error, Ensign, has now been corrected. You may begin training a replacement."
    ―Grand Admiral Thrawn, punishing a naval officer for failure

Comment

• APAT
      Honorary DSA
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Cottoinc
      What speed does speedtest.net report?
      45mb/sec down. 3.5mb/sec up. This was last night on WIFI. I'm interested to see what it is tonight

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Cottoinc
        Imperial Advisor
        • Dec 2009
        • DSA Cotto

Wow that is some good speed i have 20 and 10 at home and that is more then enough for me and the wife you might want to make sure they are not over charging you
        "Thrawn: "Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake, Ensign?"
        Colclazure: "No, sir."
        Thrawn: "Anyone can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." [points at Pietersen, Rukh kills him] "Dispose of it. The error, Ensign, has now been corrected. You may begin training a replacement."
        ―Grand Admiral Thrawn, punishing a naval officer for failure

Comment

• APAT
          Honorary DSA
          • Mar 2010

No kidding its good speed. That's kind of my thinking too Cotto. Almost too good to be true. There's little in this world you get for free especially from cable companies....lol

Comment

• RaTix
            Emperor

It's possible the throughput of the old router was sub par for your connection. The throughput is the speed at which the router transmits the incoming/outgoing data to the proper places. The new router has Gigabit Ethernet, which means much faster throughput speeds. It's also 5ghz band instead of the 2.4 of the old one, which increased the wireless speed by a lot.
            So it's possible you always had that speed from your cable company, but your old router wasn't able to handle it. You can try to direct connect a laptop or PC to the modem and do a speed test to see.
            "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
            ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• APAT
              Honorary DSA
              • Mar 2010

That must be it RaTix because I just did a speed test off my WiFi and I'm at 58.4mb/sec down and 3.4mb/sec up. Little change on the Ethernet to modem direct connection. TP-Link FTW!

So all of you milking that old router maybe you should do that little test to see if you need to upgrade yours as well.

Now if only Comcast didn't have such a p.o.s. DVR I might actually give them props too...haha

Comment

Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎