X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmhc74
    Honorary DSA
    • Dec 2007

Need Router Help

I had a wireless g netgear router and it was giving me problems (about 6 to 7 years old)....had to constantly reset the router. About 3 weeks ago I replaced our current tv in our family room with a LG Smart TV and added a wireless blu ray as well as sound bar. My intention is utilize the apps off of the tv/blu ray...mainly stream HD movies (VUDU appears to be decent). Actually hoping that in the near future to stream 3D movies. With my wireless g router I kept getting an unstable connection on the tv and the blu ray speed tests was telling me that I could only download non-HD movies. So I went with the following router:

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

To give you an idea of my setup....I live in a 2,800 square foot house...2 stories. My basement is finished (not included in above square footage). Router placement is located in the basement and must stay there since it is hardwired to the PS3. Devices wirelessly hooked up to the router are: 2 iphones, 2 laptops, printer, smart tv & blu ray.

With the above router...I have the 5.0 hooked to tv and blu ray. All other devices are hooked to the 2.4. Actually.....the tv and blu ray are the only devices that see the 5.0 and the 2.4. And that is ok by me since the 5.0 (or that is what I am lead to believe) is the singal that can handle the bandwidth demands....mainly HD streaming.

Here's my issue....I am getting unsatifactory coverage, mainly from the 5.0. When I do an AP search on the tv I actually have neighbors signals stronger than the 5.0. Now I do live in a development, but its single homes and the closest house is about 50 yards from my house. The 2.4 is decent....but I thought it would be better...IMO.

Soooo.....I purchased this router from HH Greg and really didn't do much research. Same place where I bought my tv & blu ray. I was like, it's a router....big deal. After doing research on my router (CNET review which is attached) it sais that its signal is short. With that, what would you guys recommend based upon my needs listed above and where my router is placed. I purchased the router last week and have some time to return it.

Please remember that I am not the smartest person when it comes to technology.

Thanks
    sigpic

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. ― Alexis de Tocqueville
  • RegentOne
    Imperial Advisor

Jim, I would take this router back because of this statement, "Similar to the other E series models, the E2500 is good-looking and especially easy to use for novice and home users, thanks to the included Cisco Connect software. In our testing, however, the router was comparatively slow, especially on the 2.4GHz band, and offered limited range. For this reason, it's only good for small spaces, such as a dorm room or an apartment. Those who need a more viable and robust network should spend a little more for a more powerful router, such as the E4200." Sounds to me that this router is doing exactly that; not enough coverage in your home. You do not have to purchase the E4200. Try out the E3000 and website is here http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us.htm...FQPs7QodKV9-AA

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/link...#ixzz1bowytwuu
    "Do on to others before they do on to you.”
    {DSA} RegentOne

sigpic

Comment

• jmhc74
      Honorary DSA
      • Dec 2007

Thanks Regent. I have an iphone with a CNET app and all I had to do was click on the barcode before purchasing....stupid me.

I was looking at potentially getting the 4200 but that is alot for a router....thanks for the recommendation on the 3000. I was thinking about this router also....

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.
      sigpic

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

• APAT
        Honorary DSA
        • Mar 2010

Check this one out. Its been awesome so far

http://www.darksidealliance.com/show...ght=router+huh

"Don't mistake uniqueness for weakness" - The Grouch
        "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• RegentOne
          Imperial Advisor

Jim, that router looks pretty good too. I would go with either one. I think you will like the easy set-up for each of them.
          "Do on to others before they do on to you.”
          {DSA} RegentOne

sigpic

Comment

• FunkyFaulc
            Civilian
            • Mar 2009

Jim. 5 has much faster transfer speeds, but it has a harder time going through walls and thus the range is not as far. I didn't catch how far away the tv and blu ray are from the router. Are they multiple stories up?

In terms of why you only see the 5 on the TV and blu ray that would be because the iphones only have wireless g (and thus 2.4) capability. If you can't see the 5 on the laptops I'm guessing they are a few years old or you're using them in an area that is too far away from the router. If they had wireless N you should be able to see the 5 network.

I don't want to get too technical, but you might just want to get a wireless repeater. It is another router that is PHYSICALLY connected (via ethernet...you'll have to run Cat5 to it) to the other router but it will give you another area in the house with good wireless coverage.

How old is your house? I ask because now most places are running Cat5 or Cat5e in the walls to phone jacks (there are 8 wires in cat5e, phone just uses 2 of the 8 wires). I just bought this house 5 months ago and I popped out the wall jacks the builder used and installed Ethernet connectors by my TV/PS3 and upstairs by my router. If you were able to get cat5 up to the area where you are getting crappy coverage all you would have to do is get another router with wireless repeater ability and voila.... great 5 coverage throughout the house.

I've had cheap routers for most of my life. I decided to go all out on the one I currently have because my house is 2600 sqft (no basement) and I wanted good coverage. I got the NETGEAR WNDR3700. It is fantastic and has gigabit ethernet instead of 10/100. You can also attach a printer or hard drive via USB and share it to all connected devices on your network.

NETGEAR’s WiFi routers give you fast & flawless internet connectivity at a great price. Browse our wide selection of WiFi 6, gigabit and tri-band routers.

"Are you questioning my Bad-Assness? Have you seen my guns?"

Comment

• jmhc74
              Honorary DSA
              • Dec 2007

Thanks all for your help. I actually went for the E4200. The reason being is that I don't see myself switching my router from the basement and I can easily see my boys wanting to get a 360 in the near future which will most likely be in their bedroom on the 2nd floor. Placement of the router and their potential 360 will be far so I want a really good router.

@ Funky...my basement is finished (adds about 1,000 more square feet to the existing 2,800) as most of the ceiling is drywall so it would a challenge to hardwire it. Also, CAT 5e and 6 can be pricey especially when you want to run tons of lines at some distance. I don't see myself in the stage of regutting the house....under ten year old. To be honest, I really didn't think the 2500 router was that far away from my tv/blu ray.....as Regent pointed out and what I should have done research on, is that the router I bought is good for dorms or apartments. So I would like to see how better the signal range will be when I get the 4200....mainly the 5 band.

I look at this router as being more of an investment and I bought it at new egg for $159. I did take a look at your router funky.....if the 4200 gives me a problem I will go the route of netgear instead of cisco.
              Last edited by jmhc74; 10-27-2011, 07:29 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎