• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheRealHanSolo
    Officer
    • Jun 2008
    • DSA Solo

Networking Question

Okay so I would like to take an external harddrive I have and allow myself, the girlfriend, and the roommate to share all of our music. Now in my head this works very easily as all I have to do is plug the harddrive into the router and it should work. 1. Is this possible or am I crazy. 2. What is the best router for this.
  • norm
    Imperial Guard
    • Jun 2006
    • DSA norm

There's a lot more to it. It really depends on a lot of different things. Things like what devices are you playing your music on. Is some of the music DRM protected. What operating systems are you using.

There's a lot of different ways to go about it. You could just store all the music on one laptop/desktop and makeht efolder public. You could try for a media server, maybe even a NAS or a cloud type of environment.

It really all depends on the first set of questions. If everyone is using a mac are you using itunes? Is some of the music protected, if so you have to make it available to everyone. If you're using a mixture of players and operating systems that adds to the complexity.

You could have a direct connected to the router a NAS and store a central folder for music there. You would need to make sure things like DRM are sorted out and everyone's player points to that one folder. You could create your own cloud sever. It would have its own wireless access and help with traffic on your network. You could also create your own media server for movies and music and connect it to your tv and router. This way folks could watch movies on your tv or stream them to a laptop.

There's a ton of different ways and you need to make sure that everyone is on the same page. You also want to make sure you back up your network hard drive, create an image of it and keep it because if anything bad happened you would lose all your music.

Do some research about the different types of methods out there and see what would work best for you.

Comment

• Cottoinc
      Imperial Advisor
      • Dec 2009
      • DSA Cotto

Here is a list of some NAS you might be interested in TigerDirect NAS. Make sure you get one that more than one person can use at once. Also read the reviews not all NASs are the same.
      "Thrawn: "Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake, Ensign?"
      Colclazure: "No, sir."
      Thrawn: "Anyone can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." [points at Pietersen, Rukh kills him] "Dispose of it. The error, Ensign, has now been corrected. You may begin training a replacement."
      ―Grand Admiral Thrawn, punishing a naval officer for failure

Comment

• RaTix
        Emperor

If you setup a desktop or laptop as a media server, I recommend using XBMC.
        "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
        ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎