X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • k1gibson
    Stormtrooper
    • Jan 2009

PS3+Game= Heat !!

As you know my old 60 gig ps3 died the other day but I was lucky that it wasn't
    anything major it failed do to heat and age.

The way I understood IT was the paste between the heat-sink and processor had deteriorated so ps3 would sence there was a heat problem and not let it boot up YLOD

The repair cost 125.00 flat rate which they re done the paste or what ever its called, some re-soldering and fan mod which now the fan runs on super high all the time it is noise but I guess thats ok

What I found interesting was a break in period for the paste to cure which I attached a pic but I didn't realize that some games make the ps3 run hotter then others which makes since now I think about it and also they said never just shut down the ps3 after playing, back out to xmb and let the processor cool down with the fan.

take notes of the games that run really hot.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    "We have learned that power is a positive force if it is used for positive purposes."
    "Conquer, but don't triumph."
  • Cottoinc
    Imperial Advisor
    • Dec 2009
    • DSA Cotto

I have the 60gig PS3 do you think it would be a good investment to buy an external fan for my PS3?
    "Thrawn: "Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake, Ensign?"
    Colclazure: "No, sir."
    Thrawn: "Anyone can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." [points at Pietersen, Rukh kills him] "Dispose of it. The error, Ensign, has now been corrected. You may begin training a replacement."
    ―Grand Admiral Thrawn, punishing a naval officer for failure

Comment

• MajinTony
      Honorary DSA
      • Aug 2005

i've heard that external fans cause the stock fan to spin faster than designed creating more friction and heat.

Ventilation is key. No cabinet placements!!!

"Beefcake the Mighty, clotted with spew. His sword falls, skulls burst in two. The eyes burst from sockets, he is not through. Thousands of warriors he does this to. Piling the corpses of those that he slew. Untill it was hard to tell if the pile grew!"-GWAR

Comment

• Cottoinc
        Imperial Advisor
        • Dec 2009
        • DSA Cotto

That is true my center is open air and there is plenty of place between my boxes
        "Thrawn: "Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake, Ensign?"
        Colclazure: "No, sir."
        Thrawn: "Anyone can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." [points at Pietersen, Rukh kills him] "Dispose of it. The error, Ensign, has now been corrected. You may begin training a replacement."
        ―Grand Admiral Thrawn, punishing a naval officer for failure

Comment

• EagleOne
          Honorary DSA

Just keep it in the open area and blow the dust out of the vent every once and a while. The old fat boys are dust magnets.

Comment

• k1gibson
            Stormtrooper
            • Jan 2009

Yeah mine as been in a open well ventilated area every since I've had it and I also i would blow it out and vacuum the vents once every couple months.
            I have been pretty lucky cause I bought it off eBay used 3 1/2 yrs ago for 300 bucks.

I tell you what the fan mod.they done that sucker really pushes some air, hell it sounds like a damn blow dryer
            Last edited by k1gibson; 01-22-2012, 01:28 PM.
            sigpic
            "We have learned that power is a positive force if it is used for positive purposes."
            "Conquer, but don't triumph."

Comment

• APAT
              Honorary DSA
              • Mar 2010

I bought a small fan that I use to blow air on the PS3 every time I use it. Keeps it much cooler. The PS3 fan rarely goes into overdrive. Without the fan it was in overdrive half the time at least.

"Don't mistake uniqueness for weakness" - The Grouch
              "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• RageProphetXIII
                Officer
                • Jan 2009

I keep my ps3 on my desk....near my window which is always cold so it sucks in cold air. I only encounter problems if I don't dust it. I feel like it glitches or freezes if I don't. But that only happens on a rare occasion
                sigpic

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎