Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RaTix
    Emperor

Upgrading Hell

Well I embarked on a little expedition. I decided it was time to upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit, to 64bit. My computer is setup with 3 partitions, The one with Windows 7, My old XP Pro install, and a 3rd storage partition.
    I noticed I haven't had to use my old XP partition in a while, and transferred most docs and things over to Win7 awhile ago. So I figured it would be the perfect partition to wipe and install Win 7 64 to test out. Thus leaving my Win7 32bit in place, till everything is setup and can copy things over. Much like I did from XP to Win7.

Well Apparently I overlook one MAJOR factor. in my Win 7 installation, I had win7 set as the C: drive. My old XP was the D: drive. But the D drive, that I formatted, was actually the Primary partition on the drive. So good bye boot loader and partition. After removing it, I was unable to load into anything. Kept getting disk read error.

I'm kicking myself because right before I did the format, I thought, Maybe I should burn all the disks I need now, like the windows 7 installation DVD, before I do anything. But no, I just did it, and hoped things would work out. Well for the past 24 hours I have been using my server to download the files and tools needed to fix the issue.
    I finally got Win7 64 installed on here now, which I am using at this moment, but cannot load into my old Win7 32 installation. I loaded it up in the BcdEdit as a second install, but It's now drive E, where it was C before, and I think that is causing it to have an aneurism. I still have access to all my files, which is good. But means I have to do the mad bash to copy everything over and reinstall what I need.

I know at this point Norm is running off to the DSA Search bar to find the posts where I stated that I was against 64 bit and recommended others not too. So save yourself the time, I know what I said. Truth is, I reached the point where with my system RAM at 4GB, and my new vid card at 1GB, I am losing 1GB by not using 64bit. Those that were looking for laptops and non gaming machines, there is no need for 64bit. So fuck you Norm.. I need to yell at someone right now, so thanks for being a sport, :)

Urgh.. all the programs to reinstall.. ... .. I might be on later tonight to shoot something.

On the upside, Minecraft should play better for me now! lol
    "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
    ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."
  • APAT
    Honorary DSA
    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by RaTix

So fuck you Norm.. I need to yell at someone right now, so thanks for being a sport, :)

LOL

Sounds like a nightmare. I never knew the difference between 32 and 64. 64bit frees up RAM by utilizing the video card memory or what?

"Don't mistake uniqueness for weakness" - The Grouch
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• norm
      Imperial Guard
      • Jun 2006
      • DSA norm

32bit limits the RAM your OS can recognize. So if you have 6GB of RAM a 32bit OS will only see and use 4GB.

Ratix would this help

Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation CD/DVD
      Boot from Windows Vista installation disc, select language and keyboard or input method, click Next and choose to Repair your computer. Then you will need to select the operating system that you want to repair. In the System Recovery Options dialog box click Command Prompt and type the following:
      Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
      Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
      If you want to completely rebuild Windows Vista Boot Configuration Data, then you should issue the following command:
      Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
      This command scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option also allows select the installations that you want to add to the Boot Configuration Data store.
      Further information is available at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/
      If not couldn't you repair it with EasyBCD? I had to use it with Windows 7 and my flavor of Linux. For some reason Win7 will only update to SP1 when it used it's own bootloader.

Comment

• APAT
        Honorary DSA
        • Mar 2010

Oh I see. Thanks Norm

"Don't mistake uniqueness for weakness" - The Grouch
        "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• EagleOne
          Honorary DSA

Definately go with EasyBCD, I use it all the time when people fuckup trying to install any version of Linux especially Ubuntu. It trend to overwrite the bootloader. You could use the fixmbr command but sometimes that doesn't even work.

Comment

• RaTix
            Emperor

Thanks norm, but I already had tried those. Rebuilt the bcd and it saw the installation and added it, but still was getting disk read error. I had to boot into Acronis and delete the primary partition and recreate it. Some how it fucked up the partition itself where the motherboard just didn't want to read it. After that I was able to install 64, then use the rebuiltbcd again to add the old installation. It boots into it, but now gets some other error when it loads up into windows. I think the old 32bit install is expecting windows to be on Drive C still, but the drive letters changed around. Probably have to do a repair install on the 32bit to get it working right. Or just rush and get this one setup with everything. In the process of getting my outlook setup again now. Well at least I got that updated to 2010 now, instead of the 2007 I was using.

Apat, yeah 4GB (or ~3.5GB) is all a 32bit system can utilize. That includes system RAM and Video RAM. So if you have 4GB system RAM, and 1GB Video RAM, you lose out on 1GB. It will use the video ram before system I think though.

It's gonna be a long road to rebuilding this back up.. I really don't look forward it. On the up side, at least I'm a digital hoarder and should still have all the files to reinstall everything.
            "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
            ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎