X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IceQueen7
    Civilian
    • Apr 2006

Geek Squad, I've got a great ? for you

Our computer decided to have PMS during the middle of a game. It was working fine, then the thing just shut down. We were on WoW at the time, so basically no chance of a virus. When pressing the on/off button, the fan starts up, LED lights on the mother board work, but Windows doesn't start up and there is no BEEP. We've tried replacing the power supply, but NADDA. If you have any idea what's wrong, please share.
  • RegentOne
    Imperial Advisor

What version of Windows do you own and when is the last time you loaded or updated a program and backed up your computer? How much HDD space did you have the last time you were able to access your computer and check it? Do you have a bootable disk? Do you have the original install disk? Did a diagnostic disk come with your computer when you bought it?
    "Do on to others before they do on to you.”
    {DSA} RegentOne

sigpic

Comment

• IceQueen7
      Civilian
      • Apr 2006

we have windows xp home vs. we had over 1g of HDD left and windows is updated on a weekly basis. we do have a save on the system from earlier this month around the 10th. still have the original disk which is a all in one I believe. the problem is that we can't get anything running on it. the computer is at least 5 years old, but hubby has upgraded alot of things including memory. nothing has been installed for a while now so I know it's not new parts that are causing the issue.

Comment

• RaTix
        Emperor

Are you getting any error msg's on boot up? How far into the boot process does it go?

Is the monitor displaying anything?
        "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
        ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• RegentOne
          Imperial Advisor

Check for loose connections to the back or your computer. Check for loose connections inside computer, especially the connectors to your HDD. Have you checked your CMOS battery? If you have access to a multi-meter, check the battery to see if a new one is required. Five year old computer batteries have a habit of dieing. Ensure all of your cards are seated properly i.e. video, memory.
          "Do on to others before they do on to you.”
          {DSA} RegentOne

sigpic

Comment

• RaTix
            Emperor

If its the battery, you would have had early signs of it starting to go. The clock would be off or keep reseting, as well as your cmos settings. But the computer should still start up.
            I just need to know how far into booting its going. Does it show the POST (First screen where it checks the memory and master/slave devices)? Or is the screen completely blank? If blank check the connections. I have accidently kicked some wires out before.
            Has the hard drive been making any clicking sounds or hanging at all?

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
            ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• IceQueen7
              Civilian
              • Apr 2006

It doesn't start the boot up process at all. All we get is the diagnostic menu for the monitor when we try to start it up (the monitor is on while doing this) There were no early detections of anything being wrong. No access to a multi-meter. To me, who knows nothing about anything on the insides of the computer, sounds like the battery (hubby is the one who tweeks out on the computer), although I am able to figure things out quite easily, if needed. Hubby wants to just buy a cheap tower, once we move on 6/30, and use the new P.O.S. for parts to figure things out. We currently have his best friend's computer, so I have access still other than work.

Comment

• RaTix
                Emperor

Is the Hard Drive LED light going on as if its working?
                It sounds like it might just be a video card issue. Try to replace with a working one if possible.

?Darth Plagueis

Comment

• Reaver
                  Imperial Advisor

CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your PC. It protects your privacy and makes your computer faster and more secure! Download it FREE today.

the best virus/junk/whatever you like to call it cleaner i seen since.... I Dont remember.

this is initially called crapcleaner. my dad heard this from a buddy and downloaded this for his pc. he installed it on my laptop.

This cleans your files it takes away the uneeded junk that you dont want you can edit the options for this. it is amazing on how well it works. this actually makes your pc alot more faster. i run it every time before i turn this off. and then close it out and then you just saved your self a cause of having a virus.

its free its fast its usefull and it works great.

the good thing about it is that its made from the makers of AVG Girsoft.

pretty good stuff.
                  " I need a beer "

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍