• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taco_assassin
    Honorary DSA
    • Mar 2006
    • DSA TacO

very very high ping

i went to play before work today, and when i signed on and got the list of rooms to join, all of them had pings of between 400-600. So i went down the tech checklist. I reset by router and cable modem completely in the correct order, made sure my roomies pc was off, disabled the wireless function of the router, completely restarted the pc and the ps2. Still really high pings. I did a complete scan for viruses, adware, malware, etc. All nothing. HIjack this...nothing suspicous. I have no idea what could be causin this, so i'm here to see if ayone else has any ideas, cuz the game is unplayable with the kinda lag those pings give. :x 8O

is there some kinda port forwarding i can do to help this at all?
  • norm
    Imperial Guard
    • Jun 2006
    • DSA norm

here is a list of possible problems

1. if you have cable instead of DSL and live in an apartment type of place there might have been a lot of people online at the same time as you. that can cause your speeds to go down.

2. if you had any programs other then your PS2 connected to the internet that can cause you to slowdown.

3. if anyone else close to you has a wireless connection they could be; Stealing it from you and this will slow you down or if they have their own connection your PS2 might be trying to connect to it instead of your router.

Other then that I don't know. It sounds like you did all the correct stuff. You know it just could have been your ISP was having a bad night and there may have been an outage in your area. you can always go here and check your speed

Internet Speed Test Click “Begin Test” to test your download speed, upload speed, and ping. How to read your internet…

Use our NEW speed test tool to test how fast your broadband or mobile internet connection really is. Read broadband news, information and join our community

Check your internet speeds with our online speed test. Fusion Connect is your cloud solution provider for VoIP, UC, hosted service, internet & secure networking. Call today!

Hope this helps

Comment

• Rdaug27
      Civilian
      • Jun 2006

speed test

ok so one speed test told me i have a speed of 3.3 mbs. the other test says i have a download speed of 4811 kbs and upload of 360 kbs. it says that is awesome, but i connect my ps2 directly to my modem, and im affraid i might be causing some of the lag we have been experiencing. Is that possible? I mean my ping on the server averages 116. Is there something I can do to reduce that?
      sigpic

Comment

• norm
        Imperial Guard
        • Jun 2006
        • DSA norm

116 isn't bad at all. one thing that might have something to do with it is where you are located and where the servers are located. the further away you are, the higher the ping

Comment

• THeDRiZZLe
          Honorary DSA
          • Nov 2005

...Yeah, 116 isn't bad at all, I average low 90's which is about as good as you will find, but it depdends on your distnace from the hosting server. I assume DSA's is in NY area, so given the distance between MN and TX in respect to NY, 116 makes sense.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎