X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steven
    Civilian
    • Jun 2006

PS2 Internet Connection

I'm trying to figure out how i can get my PS2 moved into my room and get it connected to the internet. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to connect my PS2 to the internet from my room without running cords from my living room to my room. Here's my current setup:

Living Room
    ---Modem---Router----Computer
    PS2-------------l

My Room
    Computer (Wireless)

Thanks,

Steven
    sigpic
  • norm
    Imperial Guard
    • Jun 2006
    • DSA norm

what kind of Router is it, make and type.

also you can use the Linksys Wireless gaming adaptor, maybe.

Comment

• Steven
      Civilian
      • Jun 2006

I have a linksys wireless wrt54g and my wireless adaptor is like wusb54g or something, its usb. I bought my PS2 network adaptor like 2 months ago and I don't really feel like forking out the money for the wireless PS2 adaptor just to move it into my room. I've thought about just getting a converter to change my usb cord into ethernet, but then I don't think the the wireless adaptor would get power. I've seen things on the internet about plugging the PS2 into a laptop and bridging network connections, but I don't have a laptop, and I've tried it with my computer and I haven't gotten it to work.

P.S. - Is there a port in the back of the computer that sends out internet? On the page I read you just plugged your cord into the laptop and it worked, but a)is the laptop port different? b)if it isn't how can I make it work? and c) if none of those work then is there any other way to hook up my PS2 without getting a wireless gaming adaptor?

Oh and heres the page I read im not sure if it will work or not, it says you need a network access disk (which I don't have) http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/118/62/
      sigpic

Comment

• Steven
        Civilian
        • Jun 2006

Oh, no wonder. The computer in my room is on Windows 2000, and it has to have XP to be able to do that.
        sigpic

Comment

• Steven
          Civilian
          • Jun 2006

I had like 130 bucks in wal mart gift cards so I got the linksys adapter.
          sigpic

Comment

• sig
            Civilian
            • Jun 2006

re

Just wanted to say that i recommend not going wireless. Every bit of bandwidth helps. Also its probly a little late, but id recommend a Belkin router, or even just checking out the consumer reports. I had 2 linksys routers and one broke just after the warranty ran out and the other i gave away cause it was acting up. I did some research went with the belkin, and have had no problems for a little over a year. (probly due for an upgrade)

Comment

• MajinTony
              Honorary DSA
              • Aug 2005

Belkin huh? My lynksis sometime stops working if it gets toos hot. But it's at least 2 years OLd and all it takes is 15 min or so to cool it down. But I'll look into that other brand if this router ever quits for good.

"Beefcake the Mighty, clotted with spew. His sword falls, skulls burst in two. The eyes burst from sockets, he is not through. Thousands of warriors he does this to. Piling the corpses of those that he slew. Untill it was hard to tell if the pile grew!"-GWAR

Comment

• sig
                Civilian
                • Jun 2006

It does come down to opinion and wether your looking for wireless or not, But heres a comment out of one of the articles along with the web site if you'd like to review the whole thing.

"The Belkin Wireless Pre-N router is ranked a "Best Buy" in PC World's current list of top rated wireless routers. Editors commend its compact design, long-range performance, and support. It's also an editor's choice at Laptop Magazine, where it's praised for "jaw-breaking" fast performance even at 1000 feet, plus easy setup, a built-in parental control filter that's easy to configure and resistance to interference."

Thanks
                Sig

Comment

• RaTix
                  Emperor

I've gone through 2 Lynksys routers myself. First one competely crapped out on me after awhile. Other one the ports started to blow one by one till none were left.
                  I'm useing a Belkin now with no problems. But I'm also on DSL and using a HUB to connect the PS2. Best way to assure no port/Mic issues.

For gaming I wouldnt suggest wireless at all. Hardwire is always better.

NEVER EVER BUY A NETGEAR!!!!!!!
                  "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
                  ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• Zabka
                    Imperial Guard
                    • Nov 2004
                    • DSA Zabka

I will never buy netgear again. However, with wireless G--I must say that I don't suffer from lag in the game and my pings are normally around 100 or lower.

Of course Netgear is the reason I can't hear everybody--and can't hear anybody on SC3.

I was thinking of going Linksys Super G. Pre-N is a lot of power that I probably don't need. Belkin--huh? Stuff I read listed Linksys as the best...I think Spock posted something in one of my threads that did a meta review of multiple wireless routers--Linksys came out on top for the most part. My last router was a linksys--it actually still works, but has no wireless capability.
                    You're the best! Around! Nothings gonna ever keep you down!

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

• EVILMRSPOCK
                      Honorary DSA

route this way

belkin you say? i was looking into the linksys market again because they have been consistant for me, I havent had one for over a year though, I think I have just reconsidered. the Belkin/hub config sounds like it will work best.

ps. netgear IS a piece of shyte, and their customer service guys must be battle droids or something, "customer satisfaction, troubleshooting, mmm <beep> mmm, does not compute".

Comment

• sig
                        Civilian
                        • Jun 2006

re

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

I have the Belkin 54g Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router, never had a problem at all =)

Comment

• EliteTrooper
                          Civilian
                          • Jul 2006

I have a speedstrem 2623, I think it might be by netgear thoguh..I have no idea I got for free and it works so i dn't really care lol..

Comment

• EVILMRSPOCK
                            Honorary DSA

connect me for the love of all things holy

ok

my housemates just threw out the old netgear router and got the linksys wrt54g. we beat the netgear up with a bat and crapped on it fyi.

My ps2 is connected directly to the router via 40 ft cat 5 cable.

here's my problem, I pop in the SWBFII disk, it boots, I try to create a new network connection with everything set to auto assign, on the last step of the procedure, during the connectivity test, I get a time out error.

I have tried to assign ports on the router admin page, but apparently it's not set up for that, it's DHCP. ok, so then I tried to assign my ps2's mac address to the router, still nothing.

I can't get the ps2 online anymore until I fix this problem, anyone able to offer any advice?

Comment

• LordCompulon
                              Imperial Advisor
                              • Feb 2005
                              • DSA Comp

You shouldn't need to worry about port forwarding to simply play online with the PS2.

Can you see the PS2 host come up in the DHCP clients listing on the router? I have this same router, and if you use the configuration pages accessible via web browser, there is a place where you can list hosts who have been assigned a DHCP address:

1) Open up the linksys configuration webpage (i.e. on your PC go to http://192.168.1.1 enter the admin login you setup when you first configured the router)
                              2) Click on "Status"
                              3) then click on "Local Network" below that
                              4) then click on the "DHCP" clients table.

Clear out all entries except the computers you know about in your house and then try to connect with the PS2. Then refresh the DHCP clients table. If you aren't seeing an unnamed host come up (the PS2) then you know that the problem is on the PS2 end, maybe the cable connection.
                              Destroy Everything

sigpic

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍