X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rdaug27
    Civilian
    • Jun 2006

A damn fine web browser

Ok you have several options out now for different web browsers. This one I have been using for years now, and they are constantly updating. http://www.avantbrowser.com/
    It is a free browser, no pop-ups or spyware that I can detect. It has built in pop-up blocker, you can disable graphics, java scripts etc. for faster browsing. It has an ad blocker which you can add sites to block. For example on myspace the adds that pop up on top and on the side of the screen, you can block. It can play all the content intended for Internet Explorer, which most of the websites out there are made for. Its pretty cool so if anyone wants, check it out.
    sigpic
  • norm
    Imperial Guard
    • Jun 2006
    • DSA norm

I'm a big Firefox fan

Comment

• RaTix
      Emperor

I use IE7 (think its still beta), since they added tabbed browsing. Depending on site or issues that arise, I switch between IE7 and Firefox. I dont like firefox because it always seems to have more issues with displaying websites then IE.
      "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
      ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• RIZZO
        Honorary DSA
        • Jun 2005
        • RiZZo0

Firefox all the way but i have to agree with Ratix..there are some things that you just NEED IE for.

Comment

• Rdaug27
          Civilian
          • Jun 2006

That's why I use avant browser because you can view all the IE content with it. It is much better than IE with more options....well I'm not too sure on the new version, It can save your pages for next time you sign on. It has a Clear History feature that allows you to clear traces of your internet usage. It can be set up automatically to clear records every time you close the browser. It allows you to disable pop-ups, pictures (which is good if you have dialup), java applets, flash animation, active x, sounds, videos and scripts all with a simple click. Built in translater from Google, to translate pages to and from different languages. You can hold the right mouse button and hit the left mouse buttong and it goes to the previous webpage, and vice versa. Its really quite impressive, and simple to use.
          sigpic

Comment

• RaTix
            Emperor

All those options IE7 has as well.

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
            ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• norm
              Imperial Guard
              • Jun 2006
              • DSA norm

as does firefox.

Comment

• CHRIST
                Civilian

are you guys gonna get into a fight over who has the better web browser BTW Ratix do you know if you can change it so that when you click on a link it opens a new tab instead of a whole new window?

"I know they were just kids, but we kicked their pube-less asses!"

Comment

• RaTix
                  Emperor

Yeah you can change how the links open in the internet options, under the tabbed browsing section in the general tab.

One browser isn't really better then the other. its a matter of personal preference and site accessibility. On this site I prefer to use IE, mainly cause with FF the scrolling forum posts tend to jump and speed up on mouse movement. Also there are a few hiccups at times with firefox on here.

Other sites like say www.adultswimfix.com, i need to use FF b/c IE7 cant load the ASX pages properly for some reason.

So it comes down to using the right tool for the right job.
                  I will never bash or try to argue FF over IE or vise versa. Of course if you are using AOL browser you should just be shot.

?Darth Plagueis

Comment

• sig
                    Civilian
                    • Jun 2006

re

Well, just wanted to say that I tried using ff when i was in Iraq (satellite internet) and had huge problems with loading pages. So i switched to IE. Fairly recently i updated to the newer version of IE and it seems sluggish. I've never had a problem loading a page, just takes a lil longer than it used to, any ideas?

Comment

• Arrowed
                      Civilian
                      • Dec 2006

IE Tab

for those who like FireFox better than IE (myself included), there is a nifty extension that allows FF to render the pages like IE; this obviates the need for IE altogether (it is a security risk, in my opinion). with this installed, you can make FF render the page as IE would; any sites that require IE will work with this extension.

so, without further adeu,

Live Free

"Bend down, little man, and let me tell you what I know."

Comment

• UncleRico
                        Civilian
                        • Jun 2006

Just installed it, thanks forfun! I love FF lol, the new IE is awesome, too.
                        UncleRico

sigpic
                        I like cookies. You like cookies? You no like cookies? I put rebel scum in your cookies...

Comment

• dRiX
                          Civilian
                          • Jul 2006

Yep me too im a big firefox fan
                          sigpic
                          Now playing: Resistance 2

Comment

• RaTix
                            Emperor

Appears the Scrolling Public forums section on the main page doesn't work properly with the FF IE addon. Does anyone else have the same issues?

?Darth Plagueis

Comment

• UncleRico
                              Civilian
                              • Jun 2006

BUMP for New FF IE tab update, try it :) Might work for the forums...

EDIT: Still doesn't work...yet :)
                              UncleRico

sigpic
                              I like cookies. You like cookies? You no like cookies? I put rebel scum in your cookies...

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎