Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dioxin
    Honorary DSA

hdd and external case?

Has anyone ever put together and installed an ata hard drive and an external case? I bought a drive and external case and put them together. When I go to initialize it in windows, I get an unidentified system error every time. Getting frustrated and can find nothing online.

Has anyone had success using an internal hdd and an external case?
    "F--k Ron Paul!" -Gino in the heat of a losing battle; COD4; Crash.
  • norm
    Imperial Guard
    • Jun 2006
    • DSA norm

Yeah I've never had an issue. did you plug it in correctly? are you using firewire or usb. how big is the drive? if you are using XP and haven't gone to SP2 some of the larger drives don't work correctly.

I've got two external cases here with drives in them and i've got one at work too. the only issue i had was with the one at work and configuring the drive for both a mac and a pc.

Comment

• Dioxin
      Honorary DSA

160 gig. computer fully upgraded. Exact same thing happens on both computers. The stupid case manual said nothing about jumpers. I had to remove the jumper from the drive to get it to work. Not sure if jumpers were supposed to be left on. Wouldn't even recognize it with jumpers on standalone or master (master makes sense).

Comment

• norm
        Imperial Guard
        • Jun 2006
        • DSA norm

wow that's really odd. i've never had an issue with the jumpers. what kind of case and drive did you get?

Comment

• Dioxin
          Honorary DSA

maddog multimedia with a seagate 160 hdd. I called customer service and it turned out to be a faulty case. I moved the hdd to another maddog external case and it worked fine. They make kind of crappy equipment, but it's also very cheap. Their customer service has also been outstanding. They are going to replace the bad case.

D

Comment

Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎