• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taco_assassin
    Honorary DSA
    • Mar 2006
    • DSA TacO

upgrading my broken pc

I need a new power supply for a dell 2400. It's completely shot. The standard i've come to learn is about 250w with a 375 peak output. I do plan on adding a second hard drive and i saw an upgraded supply that would give me about 500w normal operating power. Is that too much? Also, i can upgrade the ram from the crappy 128 i have now all the way up to 2g. It's currently pc2700 ddr, and dell says thats what i should use, but i've seen alot of other sites that say i can also use pc3200. Whats the major difference between the two and again is it really necessary?
  • Master_Ian
    Civilian
    • Apr 2006

To hell with pc. I'm a mac because i like stuff that works. Not that that helps you, I'm just sayin.
    One shot, One kill.

Comment

• FLATLINE
      Civilian
      • Dec 2006

I dont have a Mac so I wont say anything I cant back up but why the knock against the PC? I have 4 of them ranging from 6 months to over ten years old and I dont have problems with any. All running Windows XP in one form or another and linked through a Linksys router.

I would imagine if the PC was as bad as all the Mac fans say they are I would have had at least one of the problems by now.

Now getting to your question you can never have too much power. The power source will only deliver what your computer is asking for. So go ahead and splurge giving yourself room for future upgrades.

Youve got the right idea upgrading your RAM. It will feel like a different computer. The difference between the two Ram styles is this. PC2700 memory runs at a FSB speed of 333MHz. PC3200 memory runs at a FSB speed of 400MHz. Whats this means exactly I couldnt say. I can tell you you shouldnt be too concerned about this defference. Either way would be worlds better than what ya got now
      Momma always told me never put off tomorrow Stuff you can blow up today!!!!

Comment

• Master_Ian
        Civilian
        • Apr 2006

I guess it's a luck thing because I had every problem you can imagine with my pc and so far my MAC is flawless, its only a few weeks old its still much easier to use and overall i just like how its runs. My old pc i had complications from the start. It's all a matter of personal taste and luck.
        One shot, One kill.

Comment

• Arrowed
          Civilian
          • Dec 2006

We should all use Linux. Safe, secure, customizable. can't be beat.

as far as the Mac goes, I love it, but you have to see the downsides: price, upgradability (or lack thereof). Mac hardware is amazing, and pricing is coming down. Dells are generally more expensive now, for the same specs!

I know there will be heat for me for saying this (especially from xMADx and RaTix), but come on! Who wants a broken, slow, hard-to-use Windows machine? Not me!

Run Linux. Its free, and better.
          Live Free

"Bend down, little man, and let me tell you what I know."

Comment

• xMaDx
            Civilian
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Arrowed

as far as the Mac goes, I love it, but you have to see the downsides: price, upgradability (or lack thereof). Mac hardware is amazing, and pricing is coming down. Dells are generally more expensive now, for the same specs!

I know there will be heat for me for saying this (especially from xMADx and RaTix), but come on! Who wants a broken, slow, hard-to-use Windows machine? Not me!

This coming from the retard running Vista? Ha!! Have fun...Arrowed -->

Comment

• xMaDx
              Civilian
              • Feb 2007

Re: upgrading my broken pc

Originally posted by Taco_assassin
              I need a new power supply for a dell 2400. It's completely shot. The standard i've come to learn is about 250w with a 375 peak output. I do plan on adding a second hard drive and i saw an upgraded supply that would give me about 500w normal operating power. Is that too much? Also, i can upgrade the ram from the crappy 128 i have now all the way up to 2g. It's currently pc2700 ddr, and dell says thats what i should use, but i've seen alot of other sites that say i can also use pc3200. Whats the major difference between the two and again is it really necessary?
              To answer your first question, the 500w Power Supply is not too much. You could do well with a smaller one, but better to have more than less. As for PC3200, It will give you a bit better speed as long as your machine recognizes it and runs it at the proper speed. Both upgrades would be good and should not be that expensive.

Comment

• Arrowed
                Civilian
                • Dec 2006

This coming from the retard running Vista? Ha!! Have fun...Arrowed -->
                I run Vista when I have to. Not when I want to. Vista is better than XP, but still years behind OS X and Ubuntu.

Stop drinking the kool-aid, xMADx, and try something different. You might like it, and it won't lock you into a $300/year "Action Pack" subscription.
                Live Free

Comment

• RaTix
                  Emperor

Since all the technical questions have been answered

"POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
                  ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• AndyPants
                    Civilian
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Pants9000

Originally posted by Arrowed

...Who wants a broken, slow, hard-to-use Windows machine? Not me!

AMEN brother!

Most ppl don't like Linux because they aren't smart enough to figure out how to use it, either that or "stability" is not in their vocabulary. I say take the heat and let others suffer.

Before I get flamed, yes I do run windows (the narcoleptic os) as my daily driver but thats just because I like games too damn much. When I want a fast ride (developing and getting work done that grows hair on your chest) then I pop open my laptop (an old IBM Thinkpad, 800MHz w/ like 128MB of ram) and it works BEAUTIFULLY. Nothing like a LAMP system for web development.

Most here would complain about the "bloatedness" of McAfee or whatever, yet they don't seem to notice the OS its running on (maybe thats why they're concerned about an extra process or two). Go figure.

I guess most here are into the "darkside" so go ahead and suffer and use windooze. No skin off my back I just don't want to hear your BS about how much better it is than any other OS ('cept for marketing, they got that shit down!)

Comment

• Master_Ian
                      Civilian
                      • Apr 2006

That hurts Ratix but still funny. I'm well adapt to both systems i just like to use one that works.
                      One shot, One kill.

Comment

• RaTix
                        Emperor

I will never bash a linux user. Linux is good for servers and developing, but other than that it's a hassle. You have to wait for people like Pants, who smoke entirely too much weed, to compile a driver that will make your shit work.

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
                        ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• norm
                          Imperial Guard
                          • Jun 2006
                          • DSA norm

I have XP, I used to have Linux, had to reformat that pc and I turned it into a DVR box with a version of XP on it and I use a Mac at work I have to say I love my Mac. I love Linux and XP is okay because my wife understands it. (The main reason the DVR is running XP...lol)

They are all equally easy to use and depending on what you need any OS could work. I won't do anything in Photoshop, Indesign, Quark or any other graphic software unless I'm on a Mac. For simple things like email, web surfing and word processing using XP is fine, but for something that you can completely control Linux is hands down the best thing out there.

always make me laugh

Comment

• Arrowed
                            Civilian
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by RaTix
                            I will never bash a linux user. Linux is good for servers and developing, but other than that it's a hassle. You have to wait for people like Pants, who smoke entirely too much weed, to compile a driver that will make your shit work.
                            true...like 3 years ago. the newer kernels have a ridiculous amount of native hardware support; much more than XP or Vista OUT OF THE BOX. with linux, there is not nearly as much hunting for drivers; in fact, only my nvidia card needed a closed-source driver. everything else worked flawlessly.

Ubuntu is the modern, open source operating system on Linux for the enterprise server, desktop, cloud, and IoT.

free, secure, better. try a LiveCD today!
                            Live Free

Comment

• RaTix
                              Emperor

true...like 3 years ago. the newer kernels have a ridiculous amount of native hardware support; much more than XP or Vista OUT OF THE BOX.
                              Well Vista, No shit. They are still working out the bugs.

Look, I'm not bashing Linux. I completely agree with Norm on this. Use the right tool for the right job. I'ts just the arogant assholes that try to force their system on you, whether it's Windows, Mac or Linux.

Servers and Development = Linux
                              Graphic Design = Mac
                              Gaming and other = Windows

Just don't try to tell me how your Hammer can also be used as a Saw, if configured properly. I don't wanna hear it.

?Darth Plagueis

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎