X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hotwire
    Civilian
    • Jun 2006

I cant direct connect

for some reason when i try to connect my internet directly to my computer it wont work. the only time it ever works is when it goes through the router and its not making any sense. even when i try to connect my ps2 directly to the itnernet and make a new connection and everything it still doest work. but everyone else is telling me that when they directly connect (grejo, r2d2) their internet works fine. can sum1 help me? im usually pretty good with computers but im stumped now
  • FLATLINE
    Civilian
    • Dec 2006

Did you try first Cycling the power on the modem? Turn the modem off for a few minutes and then reconnect. Is your computer set up with a static IP??? I think this may cause a problem when trying to connect directly to the modem.
    Momma always told me never put off tomorrow Stuff you can blow up today!!!!

Comment

• AndyPants
      Civilian
      • Oct 2004
      • Pants9000

^what he said.

Go to Control Panel>Network Connections>right click on you NIC>click properties>select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties>make sure you have the options "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" selected

That should clear the possibility of it being a static IP issue. If it still doesn't work, the almighty power cycle (as Flatline stated) is your next trick. If all else fails, your screwed...j/k. Call Ratix at work

Comment

• RaTix
        Emperor

My first question would be.. Is it a combination Modem/Router or just a router? Cable or DSL? Whats are the specs of your setup.
        "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
        ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• hotwire
          Civilian
          • Jun 2006

I have a cable modem which i connect to the router. and i use cable lol. I have tryed the whole turning it off for awhile then turning it back on but it still doesnt work but i am going to try checking the settings to see if everything is automatic though im pretty sure it already is.

Comment

• AndyPants
            Civilian
            • Oct 2004
            • Pants9000

Originally posted by RaTix
            My first question would be.. Is it a combination Modem/Router or just a router? Cable or DSL? Whats are the specs of your setup.

That's what I'm talking about. Call Ratix. He'll give you the Indian rundown.

"Hello my name is Sanji, how can I help you? First, may I have the serial number of your router sir.

Now for security purposes, may I have your bank account and routing number and your mother's maiden name?"

Comment

• hotwire
              Civilian
              • Jun 2006

Actually it turned out u were right. those configurations werent automatic so now i can directly connect. but now my problem is that i didnt write down the information that was there b4 and it is lost so i cannot connect through my router nemore. actually i mananged to get all the information except the secondary DNS one and when i put in all the other info it still didnt connect. is there any way i can get this info back? im screwed if my parents found out i messed this up so im tryin to fix it on my own.

Comment

• RaTix
                Emperor

The DNS of the PC, When going through the router, should be the same as the Default gateway for both primary and secondary DNS.
                "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
                ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• FLATLINE
                  Civilian
                  • Dec 2006

Here check out this site. This site will show you how to set up any router. http://portforward.com/ <----Click here for Port Forward.com
                  Momma always told me never put off tomorrow Stuff you can blow up today!!!!

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎