• Show
Clear All
  • norm
    Imperial Guard
    • Jun 2006
    • DSA norm

Computer Build

who here has done it?

I'm working on my first one now and I am at a crossroads. I've got everything hooked up, but nothing powers on. Either the PSU is DOA or the motherboard is shite. I'm testing the PSU tomorrow after work.

So far here is what I have

Lian Li - 61 Case
    AMD 64 X2 5600
    MSI K9A Platinum Socket AM2 ATI CrossFire Radeon Xpress 3200 ATX AMD
    Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner
    SAPPHIRE 100166L Radeon X1650XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
    OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply

So it won't be the best system, but it's a huge step up from what I have. I just now have to figure out the power issue..lol

Maybe now I won't be the last one to load CnC3 for online matches...:p
  • AndyPants
    Civilian
    • Oct 2004
    • Pants9000

When you power up the computer will preform a POST (Power On Self Test). If everything checks out you will receive (typically) one beep. If you get anything other than that it could indicate something is not passing the test. Read more about it here.

But from what I think you might be saying, you are not getting any power at all. Like you said, maybe a PSU issue. I hope your MoBo isn't fried though. I recall seating a CPU as one of the more nerve racking experiences in building a PC. Keep us posted.

Comment

• RaTix
      Emperor

Is the PSU old or new? Are any lights going on, or is it completely dead when you power on? Is the switch in the back of the PSU turned on (stupid question, but I have even overlooked this at times). Does the network cable jack have a green light even with power off but plugged in?
      "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
      ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• norm
        Imperial Guard
        • Jun 2006
        • DSA norm

Yeah I'm not getting any lights what so ever. I did remember to flip the switch in the back...after 10 mins..lol

it's completely dead. I'm trying this thing on the OZC site to test it tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the help guys

One question, an SATA DVD drive, hooks up the same as as SATA HD?
        Last edited by norm; 08-26-2007, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• TriPP
          Civilian
          • Jun 2006

someone mentioned any lights being on. one of my puters doesn't work, but some lights are on, but the fan on the ps doesn't work. the monitor works cause i've used it on other puters, i just get nothing when i press the on button for the puter (the power button doesn't light up as it used to either).

i went to turn it on one day and it just didn't come on. i'm thinking the ps is gone or the mb is toast.

any thoughts?
          Frodo failed, Bush has the ring!

Comment

• RaTix
            Emperor

Norm, your problem sounds like a bad PSU. It could actually be something as simple as a bad power cable. I had that happen once. Try a new PSU and see if that works.

Tripp, Your problem sounds like a bad mobo. But it could also be a bad PSU as well. Start with the cheaper PSU unit and see if that helps.

In both cases, it usually leads to either improper connections, or bad PSU or mobo.
            "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
            ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• norm
              Imperial Guard
              • Jun 2006
              • DSA norm

I checked out the PSU and it's good.

that shows the method I used.

I'm trying power my motherboard manually tomorrow to see if it is the motherboard or if it is the case's power switch.

Comment

• TriPP
                Civilian
                • Jun 2006

thx, i ordered a ps off ebay, so i should know what the deal is after i install it.

Comment

• TriPP
                  Civilian
                  • Jun 2006

wow, the power supply ($25) worked! i thought my mb was fried, so i already bought another puter ($700), ha.

thx for this thread that gave me some thought that my broken puter could be resurrected. it's got several important items on it i didn't have a backup of, sweet.

Comment

• norm
                    Imperial Guard
                    • Jun 2006
                    • DSA norm

so I got in my RMA'd motherboard Friday and I got the computer back together, tested it and it WORKS!

Here are the specs for my first build
                    * MSI K9A Platinum
                    * AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600
                    * G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
                    * SAPPHIRE 100166L Radeon X1650XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
                    * Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
                    * SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM SATA Model SH-S183L
                    * OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W (+3.3@36A,+5V@30A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,+ 12V4@18A,-12V@0.5A,+5VSB@3.0A)
                    * LIAN LI PC-61 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
                    * Windows XP Home (SP2)

I had XP installed in about 15 mins once the initial reformat happened. So far the motherboard drivers, vid card drivers have all installed super quick. Getting ready to install my DVD software.

Tomorrow I'll do the next major install of all the other crap. But I had to come here and post about it just to test it out.....lol

Comment

• norm
                      Imperial Guard
                      • Jun 2006
                      • DSA norm

wow this computer is a ton faster. I loaded up CnC3 in about a third of the time and could run the program on High without it crashing! Firefox with the FEBE extension makes it so easy to restore your profile to a new machine:D

Comment

• norm
                        Imperial Guard
                        • Jun 2006
                        • DSA norm

Just a quick update. I'm getting rid of 2 computers by gutting them and adding the hard drives and a couple of DVD drives/burners into my main computer. I'm also getting rid of my huge corner desk and going with a much simpler rectangle desk. I was almost thinking of going with a plain old banquet table as a desk, but I found a great little desk from Staples that is a corner desk, but I can take it apart and use it as two smaller desks. One for the Mac and one for the PC. I'm also getting either a 24' or 26' monitor. The monitor is replacing two monitors and my little TV.

Links

Desk

26" Monitor

24" Monitor

Comment

• keyser28146
                          Honorary DSA

Ubuntu is the modern, open source operating system on Linux for the enterprise server, desktop, cloud, and IoT.

take one of em and put that on them. you may really like linux
                          sigpic

Comment

• norm
                            Imperial Guard
                            • Jun 2006
                            • DSA norm

Had Linux for a bit, but took it off for the wife. I'll put it back on one of the extra drives.

Monitor will be in tomorrow and I'll post a review of it!!!!! My office is wreck though. I have pieces of my old desk everywhere. I've got old software piled up and stacks of papers to got though. Hope to have it clean by Sunday.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎