Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RaTix
    Emperor

0x7b BSOD after Repair Install

Just because my pain should not be someone else's, I post this here.

Monday I started to have some odd DLL and other type errors randomly appearing. I figured it was about time to do a Windows Repair install to correct any system file errors. Well BIG mistake that turned out to be. And for the past 3-5 days thats what I have been working on solving.
    After the repair install I received a 0x7b BSOD error. At first the system would load to the window's splash screen and then continually reboot. I Disabled the auto reboot on error through F8 and got the BSOD message. Then the search began....

The closest fix I found was to restore the registry from the "C:\System Volume Information" directory. Unfortunately I installed my parallel installation on the same partition, had disabled the windows restore point feature way back, and Could not retrieve any old "Good" registry files in the restore points. so I started to sort through the registry and see what had caused it to fail. I narrowed it down (after many loaded hive edits, reinstalls, repairs, and everything else) to the "system" registry hive file being corrupted somehow in the repair. I still could not repair it anymore then getting past the BSOD screen to a black screen with a mouse cursor and that was it (Task manager did not come up at all no matter how hard I slammed those Ctrl+Alt+del keys).

I searched through many ntbtlog files but they don't really help that much. I could not get a decent registry app to scan the files on load to get an accurate account of what drivers were failing and causing a hang in the system. I have finally given up on fixing it sadly.. but saved my original windows directory for later in case a solution presets itself. But realistically thats probably not gonna happen. If I couldn't fix it in the past 3-4 days working 8-13 hours day on it, I have pretty much given up hope on finding a solution and accepting my half ass restore.

I had that one install of Windows for about 3-4 years now.. so sad to lose it in failure. I have managed to recover most my applications and desktop through transferring the document and settings folder over to the new profile, but I know there is gonna be one or two apps that I won't be able to reinstall due to missing Keys or what not. Wish I knew where my paid for AVG license is... ugh.

So if you ever plan to repair or reinstall windows, all you need to make sure of is that you backup the windows\system32\config directory.. (Well back up the entire windows directory if you have the room). That houses all your registry files and could be used to recover from a bad repair. As long as the files for the drivers are there, all you need is the registry files.

Why didn't I backup? Why would I!! lol. Well this is the first time ever I have ever had a windows repair install ever fail me. It will also be the last time now that I know exactly what to back up and why. Hope this helps anyone else from the nightmare I have now gone through.
    "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
    ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."
  • Capthemfoos
    Honorary DSA

I think that I may have had the same problem with the Volume information registry. I don't know if it is, but I found it easier to just wipe my hard drive. Its not like I couldn't re-install everything that I had before.

"The world will look up and shout 'Save us!!!', and I will whisper 'No.'". -Rorschach, Watchmen

Comment

• RaTix
      Emperor

Well wiping the HDD was not an option for me. Too much info to lose and I don't have enough space to backup the entire drive. Most programs I can get back no problem, but over 4 years you tend to accumulate some rare ones too, or even misplace the serials and licenses of some. Like right now I need to find my AVG spy ware license to activate again.
      Reformatting isn't a fix, it's a last ditch effort. Seeing as I can access a parallel install of windows, didn't see a need to either.
      "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
      ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• Taco_assassin
        Honorary DSA
        • Mar 2006
        • DSA TacO

I had something similar happen RaTix. After messing with a few installs of 2 different types of Linux i couldn't get winDOZE to boot past the blue screen where you're supposed to log in. Tried everything I've learned. Went on the internet thru Linux and tried some things i didn't know. Still nothing. Well at this point i'm frustrated, so i just decided to do a reinstall. Before that got underway, it gave me an option to repair windows. not from the repair command you get early on, but later. Sp off i go with that. Lo and behold after it's done, windows lets me log on. I was happy until I saw that said repair made half my progs disappear(including AVG) and my internet wouldn't work. No web, no messaging, no torrents, so i did more research and found nothing. After all this BS, i backed up my drivers, backed up my program files so i could remember exactly what i had installed and did a wipe and reinstall. Kinda pisses me off that windows gets that testy if you try and install other OS's after it's on your HDD. Now that everything's in it's place with windows installed last, the grub module lets me choose just like it should have form the start.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎