Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dioxin
    Honorary DSA

360 hdmi sound

So, I'm trying to set up my 360 to my receiver. I get video, but no sound. This page:

says to connect your red and white stereo cables for sound?!? wtf. Do I need to go from the tv to the stereo? I wanted to route through my receiver instead of through the tv. Is this not possible? I had HDMI sound through my receiver at my mom's house when I went through the tv and then through the stereo. I just don't like running with my tv as the middle man.

EDIT: I swear I used to get HDMI sound. This article says I was on crack:
    Last edited by Dioxin; 08-14-2008, 10:18 PM.
    "F--k Ron Paul!" -Gino in the heat of a losing battle; COD4; Crash.
  • Inlimbo
    Honorary DSA
    • Oct 2004
    • InLimbo

i know with some components you have to use additional rca wires to get sound even though a hdmi cable carries both. dont know why this is exactly, i just know that it is out there.
    <iframe src=http://gamercard.xbox.com/en-US/Inlimbo.card scrolling=no frameBorder=0 height=140 width=204>Test</iframe>

Comment

• Dioxin
      Honorary DSA

Forget RCA. I'll get my optical going soon enough. Do you even get surround sound with rca? I think it's just left and right channel.

I remember the xbox preventing you from plugging in hdmi and additional cables on back due to large size of adapter provided. I know you shouldn't use tv as a middle man, but I may run optical out from the tv to the receiver. It's easier than breaking apart that xbox cable to make it "slim"

Comment

• keyser28146
        Honorary DSA

I'm a PS3 guy, but my receiver doesnt support HDMI, so I use both HDMI and Optical... The HDMI goes to the tv, and the optical goes to the reciever, I just kill the tv sound (obviously).

I know on the PS3, there is a menu setting that you have to select to enable the optical port when using HDMI... if you had previously selected another sound setting on your 360, it could be that it defeats the HDMI sound? My trigger time with 360's is generally on the controller side, and I haven't gotten to dig too deep into the menu/setup errata, but only thig I could think of. Since HDMI supports sound bigtime, it stands to reason if sound isnt coming out of the cable, then the system isn't putting it in there, which would mean something in a setting is telling the 360 not to put it on the cable. Again, I'm no expert on 360 though.
        sigpic

Comment

• Inlimbo
          Honorary DSA
          • Oct 2004
          • InLimbo

i run hdmi from my system with no problem whatsoever. on older systems i have run rca cables on a reciever and did get surround sound. you have to figure that the optical and hdmi are fairly new(last handfull of years or so), so b4 that everyone pretty much had to use the rca cables on thier surround receivers.
          <iframe src=http://gamercard.xbox.com/en-US/Inlimbo.card scrolling=no frameBorder=0 height=140 width=204>Test</iframe>

Comment

• keyser28146
            Honorary DSA

True of HDMI... but I was using optical outs on ps2 since launch.

It's been a major sticking point against the GC and Wii systems. I bought both, but consider it a pretty awful thing to be missing. RCA is good enough for portability, but for a permanent setup, no optical ports was a ridiculous omission LAST GEN. I do like HDMI, and will upgrade Home Theater Receiver soon to take advantage. Obviously, Wii doesn't need HDMI since it only rolls 480p (and yeah I did buy the extra cable), but no reason for it not to have opticals.
            sigpic

Comment

• Zabka
              Imperial Guard
              • Nov 2004
              • DSA Zabka

I bought optical cables for the PS3 to my receiver since my receiver also doesn't have HDMI inputs. But the cable doesn't seem to stick into the ports of either my PS3 or my receiver. Really annoying as it looks like it should fit, but it just doesn't.
              You're the best! Around! Nothings gonna ever keep you down!

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

• Capthemfoos
                Honorary DSA

Optical cables come with a little cap on top that looks like that its the input device. But you need to remove the cap and then there's your optical cable. I had the same problem with it not fitting some time ago. This is just a suggestion. I don't know what else your problem could be.

"The world will look up and shout 'Save us!!!', and I will whisper 'No.'". -Rorschach, Watchmen

Comment

• Zabka
                  Imperial Guard
                  • Nov 2004
                  • DSA Zabka

Lol. After I posted this, i decided to google it to see if others had the problem. I just assumed I got the wrong size.

In my search, I found somebody else who described how idiotic they felt when they found that the little plastic caps weren't part of the cable. So I went down and tried it. Problem solved. Felt like an idiot.:D.

So it was either feeling like an idiot after reading Foos' post or after my search yesterday.
                  You're the best! Around! Nothings gonna ever keep you down!

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

• Dioxin
                    Honorary DSA

haha. zab. great story man.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎